Now, I know almost nothing about higher end pickups. But the pieces of shit that I have in my guitar now will have to go, so:

I want something that would generally be good for leads/soloing (with a lead distortion n stuff), but maybe also have a decent rythm tone. Something versatile, in other words.

And it has to be a humbucker for the bridge position.

I was looking at the dimarzio super distortion and the tone zone, but I just don't know how they sound, and if I went to the store to try them, they may not have guitars with such pickups in them, so... opinions?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Demonikk
IMO a pair of EMGs will suit your needs

Versatile? NO
The tone zone is awesome, do an paf in the neck
What sort of style is the tonezone designed for?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Cocnut Rag
What sort of style is the tonezone designed for?

Rock, it basically adds to your tone, it's really cool.
The PAF will do your leads
Tone Zone is a funny one, people rave over it but it's a pretty specialized pickup. It's bassy without being particularly warm with an exaggerated midrange spike. However it's also very sensitive, it's not Evo clear but it's still pretty unforgiving and can make you sound like ass unless your techniwue is pretty damn good. Great for lead stuff, not so good for rhythm and sounds terrible clean. If you're a flashy player who likes to rip solos whilst giving the audience a cheeky wink then the Tone Zone is perfect, however subtle it is not!

If you want a versatile Dimarzio go with the Breed or the Norton, depending on the kind of guitar and amp you have. Neckwise I think the Breed is far and away the best neck pickup Dimarzio make, but the Paf Pro is the old faithful of the shred world.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I see. Well, it has to be passive, so no EMGs

What about the Super Distortion?

Would a PAF - neck, Super Distortion - brigde be a good choice?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by BirdHouse
EMG's are overrated seriously .. get PAF PRO's very verstile !

That's funny cause you have them too. :P
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
yea , i regret getting them . but if u really wan them get 85/60 i perfer it over to 81/85
Quote by BirdHouse
EMG's are overrated seriously .. get PAF PRO's very verstile !

Second that, or...

Tone Zone Bridge / Fred neck
Mo'Joe Bridge / PAF Joe neck
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
what kinda budget are you looking at? you're in the US, right (assuming you're just in vienna on holiday)? what's the guitar? what's your amp? if evolution is true how come there are still apes running around? o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what kinda budget are you looking at? you're in the US, right (assuming you're just in vienna on holiday)? what's the guitar? what's your amp? if evolution is true how come there are still apes running around? o_O

Around 50 - 70 Euros per pickup. No, I'm not in the US. The guitar is a strat shaped HSH, kinda low end. The amp varies, but it's generally small 15W SS amps (Peavey Rage for example). They escaped from the Zoo.

most people will tell you that if you are going to spend that amount of money, you'll get most benefit from an amp upgrade... i mean for the price of those pickups, you could at least grab something like a peavey valveking royal 8, epi valve junior, or fender champion.

if you do want to stick with pickups, for that kinda money in the UK, you have two main choices- swineshead (tried, and are excellent for the cash), and irongear (haven't tried, but hear good things, and they're even cheaper- there's also a UG code to get an additional 15% off). Europe, you may have a few more options of which I'm not aware, but I generally don't like to recommend things I haven't heard of...

for the bridge, assuming you want to go swineshead, i'd consider a warthog (tried, it's nice), maybe a venom (haven't tried) if you want something slightly more modern-sounding. middle, spotlight (tried, again very nice) for vintage single coil tones or possibly try the dragonfly for slightly more modern single coil tones (haven't tried). for the neck, do you want more of the same, or do you want a mor vintage tone, more aimed at cleans?

It wouldn't hurt to email swineshead as well for better recommendations.

irongear, i'm not so sure. i'm guessing steam hammer/hot slag, but again you may as well email for recommendations.

thomann have pretty decent prices on duncans, generally... which may be worth considering. I'd prefer swinesheads (which are still slightly cheaper), of course it's up to you. Just generally dimarzio, emg and duncan are pretty expensive for what you get in europe...

sorry i thought you were in the US, by the way...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Any amp/effects are a waste if the pickups are total crap. So that comes first. Besides, I get a surprisingly good lead tone out of the current pickups and gear, I can only imagine how a professional one would sound.

My options are limited to basically expensive European Seymours and Dimarzios. I think I'm gonna go with the Breed in the bridge position, if there are no other suggestions. It seems to get particularly good reviews, I've listened to some sound samples as well. 5 extra Euros won't kill me.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

What wood is your guitar made of? The tonal characteristics of a wood plays a part in choosing pickups too.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Beats me. I'm not a professional, so I never bothered with such "nuances".

Quote by Mad Marius
Beats me. I'm not a professional, so I never bothered with such "nuances".

What model guitar is it?
I got a 15W SS, upgraded to a 40W Tube and didn't notice much of a difference in my Strat. So I would say go ahead and get new Pickups, which is what I wan't to do.

PAF Pro's sound good, I'm thinking about getting them, but then again I'm thinking about getting a whole new guitar. Richie Sambora uses them so they gotta be good :P
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Mad Marius
(a) Any amp/effects are a waste if the pickups are total crap. So that comes first. Besides, I get a surprisingly good lead tone out of the current pickups and gear, I can only imagine how a professional one would sound.

(b) My options are limited to basically expensive European Seymours and Dimarzios. I think I'm gonna go with the Breed in the bridge position, if there are no other suggestions. It seems to get particularly good reviews, I've listened to some sound samples as well. 5 extra Euros won't kill me.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

(a) yep. you could say the same about the amp, though. it does depend HOW crap the pickups are of course. if they aren't picking up any sound, shorting out, or just generally sound terrible, then yeah, the probably should be upgraded first.

(b) yup. you could do worse than a breed, that's for sure. i'd prefer a warthog of course... but if you can't order one, that's fair enough.

wood will definitely play a part in the tone... i doubt you'd go far wrong with breeds though, if it's a bolt-on superstrat with a trem, odds are the body will be either ash, alder, basswood or maple which don't sound a million miles different, especially when combined with a bolt-on neck and trem. don't get me wrong, there's a difference, but i doubt enough to make any of the pickups you're looking at sound like crap. just don't get anything which is supposed to be too bright, nor anything which is meant to be too dark-sounding, and you should, fingers crossed, be ok. As i said, the breed probably fits that bill.

now we just need steven seagull to come in to say how amazing they are...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My bolt on super strat is mahogany with a quilted top.
quiet you! EDIT: what i mean is, it's unlikely it'll be mahogany. and even if it is, with the bolt-on maple neck and trem (and possible maple top), it's unlikely it'll sound like what you normally expect from mahogany guitars such as a les paul... it'd probably sound like a slightly warmer strat.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 17, 2007,
*scratches head*

Ok.

(go for t3h breed most likely) EDIT: oh i made a slight typo above too, i'll go and fix it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mad Marius
Any amp/effects are a waste if the pickups are total crap. So that comes first. Besides, I get a surprisingly good lead tone out of the current pickups and gear, I can only imagine how a professional one would sound.

I disagree. Pickups are one of the smaller factors in the tonal equation, my friend. That should be something you should be changing to tweak your tone. Your amp is a lot more influential....
Quote by forsaknazrael
I disagree. Pickups are one of the smaller factors in the tonal equation, my friend. That should be something you should be changing to tweak your tone. Your amp is a lot more influential....

I mostly use amp modelers (digitech multifx, vamp, pod, that kind of thing) so what I'm mostly looking for is a good quality signal out of the guitar, clarity, sustain, that kind of thing, not so much a "warmer" or "darker" tone. I can customize the tone to a great extent even on these shitty pickups.

The amp itself I mostly use on the clean channel, for its speaker.

Last edited by Mad Marius at Sep 17, 2007,
I mostly use amp modelers (digitech multifx, vamp, pod, that kind of thing) so what I'm mostly looking for is a good quality signal out of the guitar, clarity, sustain, that kind of thing, not so much a "warmer" or "darker" tone. I can customize the tone to a great extent even on these shitty pickups.

The amp itself I mostly use on the clean channel, for its speaker.

If you are looking for clarity and sustain, then definitely look at the Evolution. I just got one installed in my Jackson and it is amazing for both of those, and it is really good for leads and soloing.

Quote by -AvA-
Gibson Dirty Fingers Humbucker.