I have just got my second guitar and now i want to mess around with my squire. Keep in mind i still use it for standard d and upwards so i need to keep it useable. I just want to mod it so i can gain some hands on experiance i would like the price of the mod to be kept to a minimum. It dosn't have to be really useful i just want something simple that i can mess around with and maybe use some soldering or something.
So any ideas ?
A killswitch. I've heard they're one of the simplest mods to install, but it does involve soldering and fiddling. Also, it's one of the cooler mods you can do to your guitar. :P
shield the cavity and put treble bleed caps on the volume pots (that a .001microfarad capacitor across the outside legs of the pots). caps should cost about $2 (even though youre getting RIPPED off for that price, its just what you have to pay at a retailer) and $4-10 for the shielding depending on how you want to go about doing it. guitarnuts.com is a good place to find all that info.

that should be easy enough for ya

replacing all the electronics would be good too, it would just cost a little more money and take more time. $3 for each pot, $15 for a good switch, $2 for a jack, $3 or so for wires.
Quote by blind nate
caps should cost about $2 (even though youre getting RIPPED off for that price, its just what you have to pay at a retailer)

Where the hell are you shopping - even here in Aus (where everything is always more expensive cause nothing except useless crap is made here) its 15cents at max for small electronic parts, the average is about 5-7cents per part depending on what you're buying (resistors, caps, transistors etc)
Quote by Keef-is-king
Malmsteen would be prudish religious freak sex. No Hands, no looking down, all the technical bits and not very good for anyone involved.
Quote by bucket bot
A killswitch. I've heard they're one of the simplest mods to install, but it does involve soldering and fiddling. Also, it's one of the cooler mods you can do to your guitar. :P

I've been curious about these,
Is it actually a 'switch' though or could i maybe convert one of the tone knobs into a killswitch.
You would have to get a push-pull pot I assume and would wire it to ground so no signal reaches the amp...am I right?
Quote by Keef-is-king
Malmsteen would be prudish religious freak sex. No Hands, no looking down, all the technical bits and not very good for anyone involved.
Quote by perpetualmotion
Where the hell are you shopping - even here in Aus (where everything is always more expensive cause nothing except useless crap is made here) its 15cents at max for small electronic parts, the average is about 5-7cents per part depending on what you're buying (resistors, caps, transistors etc)

QFT.

Up until recently though, I've sunk as low as to buying all my parts except 3PDT switches at DSE. It's so much easier to walk to the shopping centre and have a massive wall of components infront of me, than to order stuff of the internet.

If you want some really cheap but effective mods to your strat, try shielding it, changing the pots and changing the output jack.

Should be 15-20 at most, and can make an amazing difference.
Quote by perpetualmotion

http://guitarelectronics.com/category/20electronicparts.3capacitors
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kw=capacitor&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032058&kwCatId=2032058&categoryId=2032058&fbc=1&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FCeramic+Disc+Capacitors&fbn=Type%2FCeramic+Disc+Capacitors

ok, i was off by 50 to 75 cents, my sincerest regrets, apologies, condolences, etc.

i was suggesting that if one were to buy components at such an online vendor as mouser.com, one would be able to acquire the necessary components (ie. capacitors, resistors, potentiometers, transistors, diodes, ICs, LEDs, inductors, switching devices, etc) at a less dollar/pound/euro/peso or other currency amount; however, for one new to modifying/constructing electric guitars(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_guitar), basses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bass), amplifierss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_amplifier), stompboxes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_pedal), etc, it would be more simple (ie. to said person's advantage) to order the necessary components from an online vendor directed at such services (such as the above online vendor known as guitarelectronics.)

jesus, do i really have to cover my ass and translate into lawyer-speak with every post?
How about just re painting it ?
Easy enough to do right ?
I just saw another thread where a guy had made his guitar all white and then had the kinda spallterd blood thing going on, i think that would look pretty kool. So I'd just have to tape up the neck and pickguard then just spray on some white and splat some red over it ?
And what is 'primer' i here alot about it but have never actually used it, it's just pretty much a layer you put on the bottom then paint over with your colour yer ?
So I'd just have to tape up the neck and pickguard then just spray on some white and splat some red over it ?

Actually, assuming it's a bolt on neck, this is a strat we're talking about, you would remove neck, pickguard and strap pegs and paint away. Then bolt them all back on. after it dries, of course...

Primer is a type of paint that prepares the surface for the actual paint job. A lot of paints won't cover very well unless you use a couple of coats, in that cas eprimer hels and the paint should cover a lot better. But more importantly with wood, it soaks up the paint, so primer seals the wood so the paint won't soak in as much.

To answer the original question, I thinki the first and probably best mod you can make is shielding the guitar. It makes a huge difference, check the link posted above, they have excellent info at guitarnuts. I use heavy duty aluminum foil and spray glue.

The next mod I would consider would be tuners. Squiers are pretty decent guitars, but the tuners aren't exactly top quality, and tuners are pretty easy to replace. Just remember you're dealing with wood, don't tighten the screws so hard you strip them.

And if you want to get into guitar modifications, learn to solder. Get some scrap wire or some wire and junk pots out of old stereo equipment and such and practice at it until you can do a good clean soldering job every time. You're wasting your time if you put an expensive set of pickups in your guitar and connect them with a sloppy cold solder joint that will come apart in 6 months or less, and probably will cause buzzing, static and such due to the bad connection.

Learn to level and re-crown the frets. If your Squier has been used for several years I'd bet they have grooves, and quite a few guitars do not have entirely level frets right out of the box.

Frets has a lot of excellent info.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...