hey UG. I'm a noob when it comes to pedals and effects and whatnot. I saw a friend using a multi fx pedal. Then i thuoght, wouldn't that just ruin the whole point of getting pickups and customising your own sound? Because you have this little machine that changes all the sound regardless?

I may be wrong (a strong chance of that) so please enlighten me

cheers
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
no, because the pickups create a unique sound, the pedal creates a unique sound, and the amp creates a unique sound, and all mixed together it sounds different. DiMarzio pickups through a Boss Delay Pedal will still sound different from Seymour Duncan pickups through the same pedal.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
To answer your question, Multi-Fx are terrible.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez

way to generalize. cheap multifx are usually terrible, but there are some very good multi units if you know how to use them.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
way to generalize. cheap multifx are usually terrible, but there are some very good multi units if you know how to use them.

I've played with low and high end multi-fx and they all sounded terrible to me.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
See, that's fine, if you said it like that to begin with, there would be no reason for me to post. That's your opinion, not fact.

Considering your username, have you ever looked at his board? All those line6 distortion, delay, filter, modulation, etc. "modelers" are multifx when it comes down to it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
See, that's fine, if you said it like that to begin with, there would be no reason for me to post. That's your opinion, not fact.

Considering your username, have you ever looked at his board? All those line6 distortion, delay, filter, modulation, etc. "modelers" are multifx when it comes down to it.

It doesn't mean I use them personally and they're not multi-fx in the sense I was talking about. I do hear they sound good for Line 6 pedals though.

Quote by TMVolta19
Not all effects pedals are created equally. I have a digitech RP 300a and just bought a Line 6 Pod XT live. It's like comparing an old pinto station wagon to a new Bentley.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by omarrodrigez

Yea, and so are blanketed over generalizations.

Multieffect units can sound good... just look at the G-force or the G-Major. Great units. The trick with multi effects is 1)dialing in the tone/effect to sound good/compliamentary with your other gear, and 2)the overwhelming learning curve for someone that is new to them.

For me, having a unit like these is a comprimise... do you want to tap dance on a Ginormous pedal board (and spend a zillion dollars buying all the pedals that a multieffects unit offers)... or do you go with the ease of the multi unit? Also, multi units allow you to rearrange your effects order and settings for each on each bank... something you cannot really do well with a pedal board of boxes.

As well, if your multi effects allows you to choose between modeled amp and speaker tones, you have greater tonal flexiblilty, and you don't have to cart around a ton of amps around with you to gigs.

Do these units sound as good as their individual counterparts?... I would probably say no. I would rather play through a Phase 90 than play through a "modeled" Phase 90. However, the multi effects units CAN sound good.. and the flexibility they offer is pretty awsome.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Check out my GT-8 thread for more about that unit. And no, it wouldn't negate the components in the guitar. The better multi units will still respond to your pick attack and anything else going on at the guitar, including tonal changes from capacitor/pickup differences and such.

The key for multi units is investing in quality. The GT-8 is the best in its price range IMO for what you get in the unit, but if you want quality over the number of effects, the TC Electronic G-Major is superb.
According to a thread I started, the Boss ME-50 is pretty damn good
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I have a Digitech RP250. Its an amazing fx pedal for the price. Sure, it can't Wah like the Dunlop GCB95 Original Crybaby, or any other high end Wah pedals out there. imo, it will never be as good as the other high end single effects, but its up there. The effects will get you through nearly any situation with ease. It can replicate nearly every effect quite well, and its a very admirable piece of machinery.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money buying individual wah's, delays, flangers, etc, then a multi fx pedal is just for you. It gives you decent/good effects for only a fraction of the cost.

The reason why i bought the rp250 was because i know i wouldn't have enough money in my budget to buy individual effects, so i thought i'd spend a cool $130 to buy all of the effects.

I'm quite happy with my purchase, and It keeps me busy everyday. I suggest you go and try out the Digitech Rp250 and see how you like it.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
My biases up front: I hate multi-effects, modeling and especially Digitech. I recently played a used Vetta in a music store for about half and hour. The only reason I tried it was to see if I felt the need to recant my hatred for digital. While it didn't sound as bad to me, it had more punch and smoother distortion than the Spiders, I still prefer analog stomp boxes and tube amps.
To my ears multi-effects don't come close to the sound of a cheap pedal. They do seem to mask the differences in pickups and guitars, so TS if you assumed this you are mostly correct. These are my opinions based on my ears. Others opinions have equal validity.
Let me give you my first hand experience so you know what its about. I have ALWAYS been an avid multi effects guy. Ive always used the top quility units for their time. For years I used no amp.....I ran a good multi effects straight into the board. Truthfully, you can doubt, but I do not care who you are.....if you have enough speaker coverage than you wont be able to tell a multi effects unit run right from a good amp.

Here is the reason I say this. In a large venue(definitely large)....you will expect to have lots of speaker coverage. With enough speaker coverage you cannot hear the stage sound at all....all you hear is the speakers/coverage.

So....say you got a great amp. That amp is micd most likely. Its run into a snake and up to the board.....run through god knows how many compressors, maximizers, EQ's, CABLES, the mixer, more cables, a power amp, cables, and then out the speakers. The sound is still there....but the "feel" of that great amp is lost to a great extent through that huge signal chain. What the audience hears is what the PA reproduces.

With a GOOD multi effects unit....you can get just as good of a result. By the time it hits the speakers....its just sound quality, not really that natural good amp feel anymore. Ive gotten tons of compliments over the years from sound guys, musicians and fans about the sound quality...so I know they are hearing good things.

But here is the deal. Lately especially Ive been playing a lot more smaller venues with limited speaker coverage. I lose TONS of drive if my multi effects doesnt run through lots of speakers. It sounds thin and flat. For these situations, Ive invested in a good amp. As much as I like the multi effects in some situations.....when trying to use one with a good amp, even the great ones noticeably effect the quality of the sound coming out of your amp more than a good stombox. No matter how many or few effects I use with the typical multi effects and my amp...I do not enjoy the sound as much as I enjoy my amp all by itself, or with a good stomp box or two.

So once again....Im a very big proponent of multi effects used right in the proper setting......but I myself dont like the unnatural quality it adds to my amp.....and I dont know how much Id have to spend to get one that does what a good stomp box does with an amp. Sorry if that was long winded, but I wanted to give you backround before I said good or bad.
To hear what can be done with a pretty bare bones computer home studio, minimal cash and lots of time.....visit http://myspace.com/redlightcrisis I play the guitar on the tracks and take care of recording duties.