basically i live in Australia in a remotish area with not exactly the largest range of basses. Now i would never normally do this but i am just curious as to what kinds of basses are safe to order in regards to quality control. Personally im a big "try before u buy" freak but i guess i have little choice.

cheers in advance
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
cheers buddy
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Musicman Stingrays are fine to order from my experience.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
It depends a lot on the price range. If you go for an expensive, top range instrument you can be pretty confident that the basic quality is up to specs. But in that case you are probably looking for something that perfectly suits your needs. If you spend several hundreds or even thousand for a guitar, minute differences in tone and feel become very important. Trying, comparing, thinking it over and finally making the dream come true is not something you do over the internet.
On the other end of the spectrum there are the Staggs and Vintages of this world. Not much risk is involved, simply because they're dirt cheap. But to my experience these instruments don't come without quite a few manufacturing flaws. These can be things you can live with or things you can correct yourself but also things that inpair functionality. I wouldn't risk to order one of these without taking a very thorough and critical look at it first.
Finally there are the medium quality guitars like Ibanez and Yamaha. Their manufacturing processes are state of the art and well monitored through rigourous quility control procedures, so you can be pretty confident that each is as flawless as any other. If you order one by mail, you'll get what you expect.