Well I've been playing 4 years now and want to move on from my Squier strat.

I'm a lefty, so it's sometimes hard to look around for stuff.

I play a lot of Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden etc through my DSL 401.

I was looking at the Sambora Strat, but it's only made for right handers

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/images/Inventory/Guitars/Fender/Strat/RichieSambora_1995_05lge.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/FenRSambora1995.htm&h=450&w=154&sz=24&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=Qq5c2WNc2FKmeM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=43&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsambora%2Bstrat%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

There's a pic, gorgeous huh?

My question is - Would it be worth modding my current strat? That guitar (Sambora Strat) has a Dimarzio Pro PAF, 2 Texas noiseless single coils. A 25db Boost for soloing and a Flloyd rose.

I guess it could be expensive to stuff that all into a Squier.

Am I better off modding my Squier, getting a guitar custom made for me, or just buying a whole new guitar?

I have a Les Paul for any harder rock/metal so I'm ok in that department.

Cheers for any help guys.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Well I wouldn't want to go over £1000...

I did see a beautiful Left handed American strat go on Ebay for 200 quid the other day, kinda kicking myself, but I learnt not to buy off of Ebay when I got my DSL 401 from there.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

You will be better off finding a new lefty you will be happy with. Pick-ups for a squire is understandable, but not a floyd.

Depends on the money you got, but if you want to make one. Warmoth.com Everything from there is top ****ing notch. The best parts you can buy.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
i know the feeling.. i'm a lefty too :/ it gets pretty crappy when buying guitars
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Serjem
i know the feeling.. i'm a lefty too :/ it gets pretty crappy when buying guitars

Sucks to be you guys.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Yeah there's so many of these guitars for sale around on the internet. If only they had made a few left handed

I guess I'm probably better of getting it custom made. I dread to think how much a 25db boost circuit costs...
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

i am lefted handed, but when i was playing my dads guitar, who is right handed, i had to learn the other way cuz my dad didnt want to re string it, makes sense, but iam damn glad iam righted haha, and i was thinking the same thing, iam looking to get a new guitar but didnt know if putting nicer **** in mine would be worth it.
I've tried switching occassionaly but it's impossible. I can't even fret a note right-handed.

It's strange cos I'm right handed for most things, but left handed for a few.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

there are left strats that come with a Floyd. i suggest you add the pickups after purchase.
look on the fender site.

as for other similar guitars check out carvin.
it's a Check the box kind of thing. if you want an add on you check the box...

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=BOLT

carvins are very nice and well respected.

if i find a lefty floyd fender strat, ill add the link.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
there are left strats that come with a Floyd. i suggest you add the pickups after purchase.
look on the fender site.

as for other similar guitars check out carvin.
it's a Check the box kind of thing. if you want an add on you check the box...

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=BOLT

carvins are very nice and well respected.

if i find a lefty floyd fender strat, ill add the link.

Much appreciated.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

£1000? you should be able to get near enough what you want. assuming you want a bolt-on neck, you're into custom range in the UK, legra (which i can recommend) or possibly trevor usher/soundsinscale.

though, what's your amp? £1000 is a lot to spend on a guitar if your amp is sub-par...

EDIT: crap, i see you have a dsl 401.

you have a decision to make, basically. the dsl is nice, but IMO you can get better. However, perhaps not all that much better unless you're willing to spend most of your grand on an amp. i suspect your best bet is to blow the £1000 on the guitar, as it'd be a bit strange to run a squier through a £1000 amp... and if you split the budget 50:50, you won't end up with much of a better amp than you already have, most likely.

Other thing is, do you want to spend less than £1000 on the guitar if you can get away with that?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 17, 2007,
^even if it is. with the bridge and other mods, it's better to upgrade.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I don't know if they make them left-handed, but if you're looking for a Sambora kind of sound but with flexibility to go into other things too, try looking into the Kramer Jersey Star:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=896

Obviously it's no longer a Sambora signature since he no longer endorses them, but none the less it's still made to be just like (better, in fact!) the various super-Strats that he used heavily throughout the 80's and early 90's.

I got one myself just a short while ago for £560 new, and it beats the crap out of my £1900 Gibsons - 'nuff said. It's by far the most playable and versatile guitar I've ever come across, obviously it's mostly intended for 80's style rock, but I've found it also easily capable of playing the creamiest blues to the heaviest metal as well. The one and only thing I found it can't really do is the absolute most obscure metal, like Norwegian Elvish Doom Flower Metal (which does in fact, really exist. Seriously). But I can't imagine too many people care to play that anyway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
£1000? you should be able to get near enough what you want. assuming you want a bolt-on neck, you're into custom range in the UK, legra (which i can recommend) or possibly trevor usher/soundsinscale.

though, what's your amp? £1000 is a lot to spend on a guitar if your amp is sub-par...

EDIT: crap, i see you have a dsl 401.

you have a decision to make, basically. the dsl is nice, but IMO you can get better. However, perhaps not all that much better unless you're willing to spend most of your grand on an amp. i suspect your best bet is to blow the £1000 on the guitar, as it'd be a bit strange to run a squier through a £1000 amp... and if you split the budget 50:50, you won't end up with much of a better amp than you already have, most likely.

Other thing is, do you want to spend less than £1000 on the guitar if you can get away with that?

Yeah I bought the DSL randomly from Ebay, sent it to the guitar shop though cos it definately doesn't sound right. I spent £400 on it, so I'd rather not just get another one.

Well if I could I'd like to keep it under £1000, as that's a lot of money, and I want to replace my Epiphone Les Paul Pups too if I can.

The Jersey Kramer is very nice, but the Strat is just so lovely.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

There's only one of those left on eBay goin 4 USD3500 which is rather expensive so mayb a fat strat with a floyd rose trem will do
Quote by bokuho
The one and only thing I found it can't really do is the absolute most obscure metal, like Norwegian Elvish Doom Flower Metal (which does in fact, really exist. Seriously). But I can't imagine too many people care to play that anyway.

awesome.

that jersey star is actually quite nice, i tried one in sound control a while back and liked it. it's easier (and cheaper) to get one in sound control than on musicyo, they're going for like £550 i think? plus you can play the one you buy, and they may be flexible on the price too (they've had them for a while).

fender used to make a floydy strat... they may still do. it might be quite expensive though, and you'd want to make sure it has an OFR, not a cheapo licensed version. Also, bear in mind the trem on the jersey star, and the strat, is not recessed, so you have maybe only a semitone of up-pull, if that's important to you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^yeah, i know ive seen them.
maybe you can ask them about left handed floyd models.

they have guys there to answer ur questions.
consumerrelations@fender.com
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

arg i forgot about the left handed thing, sorry about that.

problem with left handed is your choice gets a lot smaller. i know an ibanez rg1570 is available in lefty, for an upcharge (around £50), but you may not want that. to be honest, being lefty, there's probably even more of a case for going for a custom build, if you're willing to pay for one and wait, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Greg_23
i am lefted handed, but when i was playing my dads guitar, who is right handed, i had to learn the other way cuz my dad didnt want to re string it, makes sense, but iam damn glad iam righted haha, and i was thinking the same thing, iam looking to get a new guitar but didnt know if putting nicer **** in mine would be worth it.

^^^
my mates done that... realy fast on the frets board becaus of it... relearn to play righty? LOL

new guitar... im moding... not worth it unless your doing the actual modding for fun

do a hendrix? restring and intomate?
^maybe flipping the guitar over. but i dont know if i would want to put all that money into a new guitar, just to have to flip it.

*proud lefty who plays righty.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
arg i forgot about the left handed thing, sorry about that.

problem with left handed is your choice gets a lot smaller. i know an ibanez rg1570 is available in lefty, for an upcharge (around £50), but you may not want that. to be honest, being lefty, there's probably even more of a case for going for a custom build, if you're willing to pay for one and wait, of course.

Lol np.

I'm thinking custom is the way to go. I'll look out for a Fender with a Floyd rose and then I'd just need to put new pickups in. I think I can live without the stars.

Although the 25db booster sounds like it would come in handy.

Oh and yeh I'd wanna go a little crazy on the whammy bar, Richie does quite a lot.

I'll check out the email address you sent, cheers.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Don't mod the squier, they're junk and aren't worth it.

Get a new guitar, like a Gibson.

Fender + Gibson = most versatile sounds.

EDIT:

actually, you should play righty even though you're left handed.

It doesn't really matter, my dad is a left and he plays the right handed way. He did it because there's more choice to play that way.

Maybe you should try carvin guitars, you can get them custom made.

They're in your PRICE range too, you can add floyd Roses, get a Left handed model of any guitar you want.

They're stratocaster shapes too.

I think it's carvinguitars.com
Last edited by nan0 at Sep 18, 2007,
^do you mean together, as in if you own them both?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

only problem is, carvin probably aren't as cheap in the UK. even if you can order direct from the UK (and you may have to go through a dealer; i'm not sure you do, but if you do, say goodbye to decent prices, basically), customs and postage will add quite a lot on to any price you're liable to have to pay... postage is liable to be £50 at least, and then customs will be around 20% of the price of the guitar and postage added together... of course, it may still work out cheaper, but you'd need to look into it.

I know I can recommend legra. I'm not sure about bob's prices now, but a while back when i inquired about a bolt-on superstrat, as long as you didn't go with figured exotic woods out the ass, you were talking about around about a grand (and that's including bareknuckle pickups). Of course, they may have gone up since, but it'd be worth considering.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yea it makes your fretting hand really strong, i never learned to play left handed just had to learn to play right handed, which was unnatural for me, when i was a kid i used to play it, backwards, but the strings where all upside down so it didnt sound to good haha,