Hey there, I'm about to buy a second/backup metal guitar to supplement my ESP LTD FX400 and was looking for some advice. I want to spend £350-400 tops and for that cash want a gorgeous neck and great pickups, whether that be getting a cheaper guitar and putting in EMGs/Duncans or something with decent pre-installed pups. Oh, I also prefer no trem but I guess I'd take one if push came to shove. I play in an old school black metal band so lots of distortion needed!

I'm looking at five options just now:

Washburn WI200 Pro-E (EMG 81/85 stock)
Jackson DK2M (Duncan JB/'59 stock but, ewww, it has a trem)
Ibanez VBT700 (DiMarzio D-Activators stock)
Ibanez RGR321EX (stock pickups would be replaced with EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Firebird Studio Ltd (stock pickups would be replaced with a Duncan distortion in the bridge and something I haven't yet decided on in the neck)

The Firebird might seem an odd choice but I just love the design and I was thinking that with maybe a '59 or a Jazz in the neck I might be able to do more than just metal with it but hrrrrmmm...

Any advice or recommendations?
hmm Strat has a gorgeous neck and great pickups ;P...

jokin'

umm yeh it's recomend the Epiphone Firebird Studio Ltd =)
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
I've played the Jackson and the Ibanez RG321 and really liked them both. My local music store doesn't seem to stock Washburns though and I've never seen a VBT in the flesh
Washburn x50pro from GAK

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
Washburn x50pro from GAK

word
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I've been looking at that one too. What's the Duncan Custom Custom like for metal though? I'm strongly leaning in the direction of Duncans over EMGs for this guitar since I already have an EMG-equipped axe and would like a bit more variety and versatility but I'd also like to retain that full-blooded metal punch. I know the JB can do metal very well (Michael Amott) and obviously the Distortion but the reviews for the Custom Custom on Harmony Central don't really give a good idea of what it's like.

Oh, it'll be played through an ENGL Screamer Combo which I'm also ordering at the weekend :P
Quote by Jodimu
Yeah, I've been looking at that one too. What's the Duncan Custom Custom like for metal though? I'm strongly leaning in the direction of Duncans over EMGs for this guitar since I already have an EMG-equipped axe and would like a bit more variety and versatility but I'd also like to retain that full-blooded metal punch. I know the JB can do metal very well (Michael Amott) and obviously the Distortion but the reviews for the Custom Custom on Harmony Central don't really give a good idea of what it's like.

Oh, it'll be played through an ENGL Screamer Combo which I'm also ordering at the weekend :P

it's not amazing for metal, though it's quite nice for classic and hard rock. the alnico II isn't helping for metal, though it's still one of my favoured duncans (not for metal though). I mean, you could leave the '59 where it is, and swap the custom custom for a swineshead, bulldog or bareknuckle, and still have a really nice guitar for not much money. plus you could sell on the custom custom and get maybe £30-£40 back.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jackson DK2M (Duncan JB/'59 stock but, ewww, it has a trem)

Its actually JB/Jazz :P Try the DK2T instead, which is string through.

Epiphone Firebird Studio Ltd (stock pickups would be replaced with a Duncan distortion in the bridge and something I haven't yet decided on in the neck)

That would be a cool choice, but it has mini humbuckers doesn't? That kinda kills your pickup choices, as there aren't any real metal geared mini hums I can think of atm.