Page 1 of 2
Well i bought an AC15 because i like the vox vintage re-issue amps and i couldn't afford an ac30 however i'm beginning to wonder if the ac30 is different to the ac15, i.e. is it better in other words, does the ac30 offer better tone? I mean how different are the two amps is it just a case of less power with a 15w or is tone affected as well?

thanks
Quote by forsaknazrael
I think the AC15 is a pretty lame compared to the AC30.
I would've rather bought a Laney VC15 or VC30, if I didn't get the AC30.

+1, you could've got a VC30 for the price of an AC15, right? VC30 would offer you so much more. Not that the AC15 is bad, in fact it's rather lovely, but you can get more for your money.

That, or save up for a AC30CC2. Yum.
The AC15 is a pretty different sounding amp to the AC30. Still it's a rather nice amp, just not a "smaller AC30".
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
ok damn well would a speaker change, turn things around i mean the ac15 with the celestion alnico blue is like the same price as the ac30 is it that good? if so i'll just replace the speaker and maybe tubes as well.
umm...first of all to a thread worth making!
i'd like to know all the differences between the two too!

so, if someone is smarter than me...please list the differences...please?

ac15cc1 and ac30cc1

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Well, from what I've read about Vox...they made the AC15 first; and decided they needed a more powerful amp, so they 'doubled' the AC15's poweramp (2 El84 > 4 El84), but didn't change the preamp.

If the two amps are still being made in the same way today (which I doubt) there really shouldn't be much difference in the tone.
^i think i read in an article though that they used more reliable tubes for the ac30 though...any info on that?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

There's a large difference between the 15 and the 30 tone. There are many differences between the 15 and the 30- there's a lot more to an amp than the tube selection. The transformers on the 30 are larger, and it's tube rectified. The tone of the 30 is therefore much 'bigger'- that is, when you crank a 15 it gets twangy and kind of fizzy. When you crank a 30, it gets darker and crunchier. To me the 30 has a much more pleasing harmonic content and sounds more full.
I think it's pretty telling that the AC15 is pretty well favored in country music, while the 30 is a very classic rock amp.

Edit: The AC30 also has two 'channels' (not really channels, I know) that you can bridge for a really fat sound with more gain than a single channel.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Sep 17, 2007,
alright, im getting an ac30

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

yea, i was thinking about building a rangemaster...or something

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by mr_hankey
Well, from what I've read about Vox...they made the AC15 first; and decided they needed a more powerful amp, so they 'doubled' the AC15's poweramp (2 El84 > 4 El84), but didn't change the preamp.

If the two amps are still being made in the same way today (which I doubt) there really shouldn't be much difference in the tone.

The original AC15's were great amps. The new ones are more like afterthoughts. The Korg people went to great extremes to put together a great new AC30 at a reasonable price, then put out an AC15, too.

The big differences are that the AC30 has a tube rectifier, and has both Top Boost and Normal channels that can be blended for ultimate sweetness.

You can see from the control panels that the AC30 has a lot more features (sorry, I'm not successfully copying and pasting images today):

Tha AC15, and the AC30.

The AC30 has a few tone sculpting switches, normal or vintage tone knob, tone control for reverb, etc. Just a lot more to it. As well as switching between 22W and 33W.

The bottom line, though, is that the AC30 just sounds better. It's more than just a bigger AC15 (as originally designed). But you'll have to compare them yourself to taste the differences.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
either way i love my ac15, it's a lovely amp and i much prefer it to the laney vc's but thats just me. I think i may go ahead and just change my speakers and tubes anyway to improve it a little more. Other then that i do recommend it to anyone who is in love with vintage gear but can't afford to double their spending money to buy it's 30w counterpart.

One thing i have noticed though is that the ac15 is pretty bassy, usually i just play with no bass and it sounds pretty good. Whether the same applies to the ac30 or not i'm not entirely sure.
Quote by slatsmania
The original AC15's were great amps. The new ones are more like afterthoughts. The Korg people went to great extremes to put together a great new AC30 at a reasonable price, then put out an AC15, too.

The big differences are that the AC30 has a tube rectifier, and has both Top Boost and Normal channels that can be blended for ultimate sweetness.

You can see from the control panels that the AC30 has a lot more features (sorry, I'm not successfully copying and pasting images today):

Tha AC15, and the AC30.

The AC30 has a few tone sculpting switches, normal or vintage tone knob, tone control for reverb, etc. Just a lot more to it. As well as switching between 22W and 33W.

The bottom line, though, is that the AC30 just sounds better. It's more than just a bigger AC15 (as originally designed). But you'll have to compare them yourself to taste the differences.

cool thanks for the info!

what would you say though...212 or 112?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^^ how loud you want it? as far as i know the only difference between 212 and 112 is the overall output volume (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
^thats what i was thinking...but ya never know

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by forsaknazrael
I think the AC15 is a pretty lame compared to the AC30.
I would've rather bought a Laney VC15 or VC30, if I didn't get the AC30.

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hendriko
what would you say though...212 or 112?

If you're not going for the Alnico Blues, I'd suggest the 1x12. The speaker in it is higher quality (read: more expensive) than the Whafdales in the base 2x12. And it's a very high efficiency speaker. The amp is LOUD. It's also about 7Kg, or 15lbs, lighter than the 2x12, which is pretty handy for an old guy like myself.

Doesn't hurt that it's less expensive, either.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I pretty much agree with everything said except that the new AC's aren't reissues. You're not getting a version of a previously made amp. They are simply the next generation AC30's (and 15's)...........as for speakers, the 2x12 with Celestion blues is best, but I would get z 2x12 regardless because they sound "better" and you can always upgrade speakers later one. I have an AC30 2x12 with Blues, and a 2x12 extension cabinet with the Wharfedales. both sound really good for what they can do. Obviously the Celestions are superior and sound great but the Wharfedales can get some pretty sweet tones on there own, especially with higher gained tones with a OD pedal. Never-the-less, IMO a 2x12 is they way to go. I don't know much about Ted Weber's Blue Dog's or whatever they're called. He makes good speakers though. Don't plan on casually carrying an AC30 around though. You should buy a hardshell case with wheels
^i'd buy an AC30 too. I love Weber speaker. they make awesome speakers at great prices. as roc said, AC15 is fizzy and twangy when turned up. i didn't like it. AC30 at a decent volume, with a Treble Booster (i made one.) is great. nice, fat, boutique. nuf said.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Gutch220
I pretty much agree with everything said except that the new AC's aren't reissues. You're not getting a version of a previously made amp. They are simply the next generation AC30's (and 15's)...........as for speakers, the 2x12 with Celestion blues is best, but I would get z 2x12 regardless because they sound "better" and you can always upgrade speakers later one. I have an AC30 2x12 with Blues, and a 2x12 extension cabinet with the Wharfedales. both sound really good for what they can do. Obviously the Celestions are superior and sound great but the Wharfedales can get some pretty sweet tones on there own, especially with higher gained tones with a OD pedal. Never-the-less, IMO a 2x12 is they way to go. I don't know much about Ted Weber's Blue Dog's or whatever they're called. He makes good speakers though. Don't plan on casually carrying an AC30 around though. You should buy a hardshell case with wheels

I think it's a far wiser idea to get the 112 combo with the nicer speaker then get an extension cab if you need it. The AC30 works like my Rocker doesn't it? In that when you add an extension you can use the speaker in the combo as well as the extension speaker?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

sometimes you don't want that many speakers though because it will take away from the natural speaker distortion. I would never use Blues with an extension cab PLUS the internal speakers
Yeah, but I feel it's best to just have the 1x12 as an option. It means if you go for a jam you can just take the 112 but you can take an extension if you need it for a gig. More versatility and easier to transport.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
I think it's a far wiser idea to get the 112 combo with the nicer speaker then get an extension cab if you need it. The AC30 works like my Rocker doesn't it? In that when you add an extension you can use the speaker in the combo as well as the extension speaker?

That's exactly what I do. You need a 16 ohm cab if you want to run the internal speaker in parallel, and I have a 2x10 Tone Tubby cab that sounds absolutely mint in that capacity.

But on it's own, it's almost too much for jamming. It's loud.

I didn't go in looking for the 1x12. Like most people, I see the AC30 as a 2x12 combo. That's just what it traditionally is. I fell into a deal on mine that I couldn't pass up, and I couldn't be happier. You can find the 1x12's cheap, I believe, because of that paradigm. If you can handle being an owner of the AC30's redheaded stepchild, you can have yourself an outstanding amp. One that you can even carry up and down stairs!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
That's exactly what I do. You need a 16 ohm cab if you want to run the internal speaker in parallel, and I have a 2x10 Tone Tubby cab that sounds absolutely mint in that capacity.

But on it's own, it's almost too much for jamming. It's loud.

I didn't go in looking for the 1x12. Like most people, I see the AC30 as a 2x12 combo. That's just what it traditionally is. I fell into a deal on mine that I couldn't pass up, and I couldn't be happier. You can find the 1x12's cheap, I believe, because of that paradigm. If you can handle being an owner of the AC30's redheaded stepchild, you can have yourself an outstanding amp. One that you can even carry up and down stairs!

I love any paradigm that allows me to get cheaper gear that's quality. I think you've done just what I'd of done had I been looking for an AC30. Well...I almost did buy an AC30 before getting my Orange, but yeah.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by slatsmania
If you're not going for the Alnico Blues, I'd suggest the 1x12. The speaker in it is higher quality (read: more expensive) than the Whafdales in the base 2x12. And it's a very high efficiency speaker. The amp is LOUD. It's also about 7Kg, or 15lbs, lighter than the 2x12, which is pretty handy for an old guy like myself.

Doesn't hurt that it's less expensive, either.

true true...i was gonna try out the 112 anyway..i think my mom would go crazy if i showed up with a 212 "huge box" as shed call it

and i might get a eminence red fang (thats the alnico blue copy right?) some time

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
and i might get a eminence red fang (thats the alnico blue copy right?) some time

I've been toying with the idea of going with that exact speaker (for that exact reason). The stock speaker really isn't bad at all, though. It's not like a Peavey amp or something, where you need to run out and replace the speaker as soon as you buy the amp.

There's a guy local to me selling Celestion Blues for $200. I'm having a hard time pinning him down. I want to buy one to put in my Airline. I expect not only some improved tone (the stock speaker is a nice vintage Jensen C12R), but a dramatic jump in volume (going from a sensitivity of about 92 to 100!). If only the damn guy would write me back!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
lol i see

the alnicos are like 350 euros here..no chance im gettin one of those
the eminence sounds cool though

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

129 euros here...thats like 180

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
lol i see

the alnicos are like 350 euros here..no chance im gettin one of those
the eminence sounds cool though

Ding dong! http://www.award-session.com/celestion_speakers.html

237 Euros + shipping from the UK.

Quote by forsaknazrael
^^yeah, I want a speaker with that kind of sensitivity...The Red Fang is supposedly 103db!
165 bucks, though..

I've heard that Eminence overrates the sensitivities and wattages of their speakers, but of course I've seen no proof.
^^Yeah, I've heard rumors...But that's all they are right now.

EDIT: After sifting through my emails, I think I'm just going to stick with Weber. Check out this:
15 watt 102db
30 watt 100db
50 watt 99db
(For the Weber Blue Dogs and Silver Bells.)
Yay for super loud-ness!
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by mr_hankey
I've heard that Eminence overrates the sensitivities and wattages of their speakers, but of course I've seen no proof.

ditto. I've heard from lewis/power freak. he's generally spot on with his advice and recommendations. also if I remember correctly, in one of the magazine reviews (guitarist i think) they said the red fang didn't sound as loud as 103 db. I think eminence rate their decibels along different frequencies, as they claim this works better for "real world" applications.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
EDIT: After sifting through my emails, I think I'm just going to stick with Weber. Check out this:
15 watt 102db
30 watt 100db
50 watt 99db
(For the Weber Blue Dogs and Silver Bells.)
Yay for super loud-ness!

What's supposed to be the difference between the Blue and Silver?

They look interesting. If I can't get this guy with the $200 Celestion Blues, I might go for one of those 15W Webers instead.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
What's supposed to be the difference between the Blue and Silver?

They look interesting. If I can't get this guy with the $200 Celestion Blues, I might go for one of those 15W Webers instead.
The Blue Dog is meant to be a Celestion Blue clone, the Silver Bell is meant to replicate the original Marshall heavily-broken-in G12H/G12M tone, even though it's Alnico.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
webers are meant to be sweet, but i haven't been able to try them. postage to the UK and customs are the killer.

can't you get basically any of his models in either ceramic or alnico models, though? i mean, you could get the ceramic silver bell if you're after that greenback tone, surely?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
webers are meant to be sweet, but i haven't been able to try them. postage to the UK and customs are the killer.

can't you get basically any of his models in either ceramic or alnico models, though? i mean, you could get the ceramic silver bell if you're after that greenback tone, surely?
Yeah, you can, that's what made me think why they made the Alnico version, it's probably just sweeter sounding though.

D'you know how much postage and customs on say a Alnico signature 12 would be - it's only like $45 but if it's a massive amount then I might as well get a Celestion or Eminence from over here.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Page 1 of 2