Page 1 of 3
Yes, I stole this from Kerrang! but I thought it would make an interesting thread, hopefully this will take off.

There is no maximum/minimum amount of songs allowed, and please don't take the piss out of anyones choices or reasons for those choices.

Sum 41 - Motivation
This song is the reason I listen to rock music at all, I heard it on a music channel when it first came out and bought the album a few days later, I fell in love with guitars, and so started buying more rock albums and stealing my Dad's CD's.

My Chemical Romance - Cancer
One of my best friends passed away on the 19th of April 2006 due to cancer, she was 13 years old. This song (when I experienced it live) helped me get over her death, something I hadn't been able to do until then. As well as just being gorgeous on the ears, it truly speaks to me.

My Chemical Romance - Famous Last Words
Again, seeing this song being performed live is the main reason for it being here, I won't go in to detail, but I was imagining a certain ladies face 4 inches away from mine as I screamed it at the top of my lungs. Again, an awesome song that got me over a major hurdle in my life.

Tupac - Changes
Just the lyrics, that's it. This man is my idol when it comes to song writing, a true genius who didn't deserve to die. My inspiration.

Guilty Pleasure
Kate Nash - Foundations

Come on.. it's incredible. The best pop song ever recorded, easily. Brilliant story.. be it simply told, but still. Awesome.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
I've had too many but here are the most notable.

Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy
First DT song I heard and started my long love affair with prog and power metal. Basically helped me make the switch from Pantera and radio metal to the real stuff.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy Sweet
My first real taste of shred guitar. Came right around when I was getting into DT, and really got me into virtuoso and "shred" guitarists.

In Flames - Moonshield
The first In Flames song I listened too. This band really helped shape and inspire my writing of diatonic harmony and counterpoint.

Shawn Lane - Entire Catalogue but specifically "Get you Back"
Got me interested in jazz and fusion in more than just a metal context. Also the most emotional and dynamic player I have ever heard. My latest and greatest inspiration.
Quote by JamMan*

Guilty Pleasure
Kate Nash - Foundations

Come on.. it's incredible. The best pop song ever recorded, easily. Brilliant story.. be it simply told, but still. Awesome.

The best pop song ever recorded? Are you serious?

There are going to be a lot of Michael Jackson and Beatles fans disagreeing with you.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
The best pop song ever recorded? Are you serious?

There are going to be a lot of Michael Jackson and Beatles fans disagreeing with you.

It's defendable through two things, opinion and what you class as pop.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
CKY - 96 Quite Bitter Beings

The first song I heard by one of my favourite bands. It completly changed how I listened to music by giving me my first taste of the rock world. The main riff ****ing rocks as well

Woo

Sepultura - Roots Bloody Roots

I first heard this when I was much younger (my dad owns the album) and it absolutely blew me away and scared me ****less at the same time. It was the heaviest thing i'd ever heard at that point and was most likely what lead me into listening to metal.

Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy Confessions

I could have picked any track from this album but the second will do. This album showed to me how music could make the listener feel emotional about that sounds they were hearing.

InMe - Mosaic

If I didn't hear this song I probably wouldn't be in a band now to put it blunty. The first time I saw InMe they opened with this song and the sheer sight of ex-bassist Joe Morgan playing what I consider to be the best bass riffs i've ever heard made me realise I should be playing bass and trying to attain that level of sheer ****ing awesomeness. That is one gig memory that will stay with me forever.

Malice Mizer - Beast of Blood

This song opened me up into a whole world of japanese born rock music, there is so much going on from bands over there that is (in my eyes) so inventive and different to what we get in America or the UK and I feel lucky to have discovered that and had a chance to hear it for myself.
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
It's one of the few songs I can relate my feelings and viewpoints to

Metallica - Fade to Black
As above

Joe Satriani - Searching
The whammy section at 0:54 made me stop breathing for 30 seconds, it's the most beautiful riff I've ever heard

The Black Dahlia Murder - Closed Casket Requiem
Defined my playing style and gave me a target to reach for riff-writing

Stone Sour - Through Glass / Hinder - Better Than Me
Got me through a few rough breakups
ohai little sig.
Sum 41 - Still Waiting
- Just like the guy at the top this is what got me into Rock music more seriously. After seeing them play it live on Letterman i just wanted to be in a band and play gigs.

Avenged Sevenfold - Chapter Four
- Probably the first most epic song i ever heard. I thought it was extremely well written and just pure genius

Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
- This was another song that made me love it when bands dont do the standard thing

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras
- Great guitar lines undernearth powerful passionate lyrics and singing

That is all i can think of right now... but there is probably more

p.s. good to see rock guys that love 2pac as much as i do!
I forgot:

Busdriver - Imaginary Places

That one song got me out of the whole idiot phase of 'I like rock therefore I must dislike rap'. It ****ing owns, Busdriver is amazing
Creep by Radiohead
The first song that I ever loved and it still is now my favourite song ever. I feel the lyrics reflect how I feel.

Australia by Manic Street Preachers
The first band I ever heard and are my favourite band ever. The song is from the 'Everything Must Go' and was the first album I ever owned. It was on cassette which my sister got me from a school trip to Germany. I now own all their albums.

Raining Blood by Slayer
First metal album I ever bought was 'Reign In Blood' by Slayer; not so much a fan now but I've always liked them.

Digital Bath by Deftones
Again, my sister got me into most of my favourite bands to date. I love this band and their drumming style and how there's alot more chord work rather than repeated riffs. (Well, their self-titled album shows this.)

I've never stopped listening to them.
Mr. tambourine man - Bob dylan
It taught me the endless possiblites you can experience with drugs.

Smells like teen spirit- Nirvana
Its the first song that made me want to play guitar

Doin' time- sublime
The song that made me want to party and smoke pot all day

Strawberry fields forever- the beatles
Made me want to be 6 yrs old again.
Last edited by highway62 at Sep 17, 2007,
Songs that Changed my life:

Chop Suey - System of a Down
It was this, and BYOB that got me interested in heavier, more different music, but also into other music genres like Jazz. I loved System for there way of making a song, no matter how simple the guitar is, and making it sound absolutley golden.

More Than A Feeling - Boston
Probably one of the best songs ever writen. The singer has one brilliant voice, i envy him. Really beautiful song.

Give It All - Rise Against
This is the song that really got me into Rise Against and into Hardcore/Punk. I remember hearing Paper Wings on the game Burnout3 and looked up Rise Against and found this song. It's great, it makes me feel like i'm not the only one pissed off with the world and how it is run.

Ghetto Gospel - 2Pac and Elton John
I just love this song because it is against gang wars, until most artists at that time who focused there songwriting abut how positive gang crime can be. It's almost if 2Pac knows he will die soon. The elton John part makes the song feel more epic and more touching.

Everlong - Foo Fighters
It's just a beautiful song that makes me think of the good and bad times of my life. Epic.

Bliss - Muse
This song always makes me think of the things i should have done years ago but never did and how they affected my life know. It's a heart-warming song for me about losing thats that are close to you.

Guilty Pleasure:
Rehab - Amy Winehouse
I think she looks like a tramp and an attention-seeking junky but she has one fantastic voice i got to admit. I just like this song cos of her voice.
Last edited by Moggan13 at Sep 17, 2007,
Piano Man - Billy Joel

Granted he's not exactly what I listen to now (I still do occasionally) but because of that first song on the first "rock" CD I ever heard ("Best of Billy Joel"), I decided to explore my dad's CD/ album collection and found some neat stuff...The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Chicago...not too shabby

Baba O'Reilly- The Who

Just my favorite song of all time, so it definitely gets a spot.

Hey Jude - The Beatles

It's always been a part of me, from the first time I heard it, when I must've been 4 or 5, it's always been ingrained in my brain and I can never get enough of it.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Anesthesize by Porcupine Tree
Best song ever written. Go buy the album if you don't believe me.

Demon Cleaner by Kyuss
First Desert Rock song I ever heard. Really turned me on to the Palm Desert California music scene and tons of great bands who continue to shape my taste and guitar style.

21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson
First Progressive Rock song I ever heard. Opened up a world of awesome and intricate music for me.

The Bronze by Queens of the Stone Age
This song was basically the catalyst for my love of the guitar. First guitar solo I ever learned.

For The Love of God by Steve Vai
First shreddy guitar-based song I ever heard. Sparked my love of Ibanez.

Out There by Dinosaur Jr.
This is such a great song. The guitar work is amazing and yet it doesn't hold back the rest of the song. This has to be one of the most under-appreciated solos ever.

Solitary Shell by Dream Theater
It's a song about a guy with HFA, which I've had since birth and will always have.
Last edited by SkyValley at Sep 17, 2007,
Kate Nash - Foundations

Get out!

For me:

Dinosaur Jr - feel the pain
The song that got me into DJ, Sonic youth and other bands. So awesome

feeder - buck rogers
This and songs by supergrass & the new radicals was the first music I listened too.

MC5 - kick out the Jams
Great song. Im a huge fan of early punk and garage rock.

Foo Fighters - times like these
A good song with a brilliant chorus,the lyrics really inspire me too.
Last edited by kaptink at Sep 17, 2007,
Your Hand in Mine - Explosions in the Sky

Basically the best representation of the human spirit/condition.
The Clash - White Riot

It opened my eyes a lot to the fact that I should question authority where there is any doubt that it is morally right. My life hasn't been the same since.
One Day at a Time - Symposium

way back when, in 1997 when i was about 11 years old, i managed to stumble across my older sisters CD colletion. in amongst the Nirvana, Oasis and oldskool jungle i found a little mini album by Symposium called one day at a time. god knows why i chose it, but i put it on and listened to the title track and fell in love. simple as.
looking back on it now, i've heard music thats a lot more complex, a lot more polished or whatever, but for some reason this album made me realise that music wasnt just something that people heard. it was deeper than that. music was powerful stuff and from then on i was hooked. it was the album that helped shape me into the music ***** i am today.

Maxwells Silver Hammer - The Beatles

i grew up with a lot of beatles playing in the background, but for some reason this sticks out in my head. It reminds me of being reeeeally young, driving in my dads car, and listening to it always makes me think of him. he was the guy who moulded my musical tastes most probably, and if it wasnt for him (and his eclectic tastes) i probably wouldnt be half as interested in music as i am now.

A message to you Rudy - The Specials

another one from my dad.
my dad grew up in London in the 70s, and watched the influx of jamaican immigrants into the areas he grew up in. with this influx of people, came an influx in music and because of this, the "scene" of his day was the skinhead scene.
now, when i say skinhead, i dont mean racist skinhead. i mean the multicultural, two-tone, original definition of skinhead, before the racists gave it a negative connotation.
growing up like this, meant he was privy to a lot of reggae and ska, and this meant growing up I had a lot of reggae and ska forced upon me. a message to you rudy sticks out as a song i'll always remember from this.
i do love a nice bit of reggae, but if anything, i think it mainly taught me that good music can both be indicative of, and transcend culture. i didnt think of desmond dekker as being a black guy, or someone of a different culture to me. he just made kickass music.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Last edited by FunkasPuck at Sep 17, 2007,
Riot in Everyone - Crashdïet. Taught me to me myself for ever and be proud of who I am.
Guns N Roses - anything they made. Taught me that they rock.
Guns N' Roses - "Welcome To The Jungle"

The song that got me into rock. Nothing more needs to be said.

Foo Fighters - "All My Life"

This song finally made me realise what I wanted to do with my life.

Soundgarden - "Like Suicide"

I'd heard of Soundgarden through one of their songs ("Kickstand") appearing on an old-school PC game called Road Rash (I think it was for Windows 95). I picked this up out of curiosity, and this is my favourite song from one of my favourite records.

American Hi-Fi - "The Art Of Losing"

Gave me an attitude adjustment and I feel all the better for it. This song gave me the rush I needed to throw my middle finger up at any kind of authority. Oh, to be 14 again.

The Donnas - "Take It Off"

This song reminds me of great times, and it's just a great fun song. I love these girls.

Queens Of The Stone Age - "Go With The Flow"/"Better Living Through Chemistry"

A double helping of Queens here. "GWTF" reminds me of a girl I was with when the song came out as a single, and its lyrics are fairly poignant for the way things turned out. I picked up "Songs For The Deaf" later and it's one of my favourite albums. "BLTC" I first heard on a bootleg live record that I bought in Camden, and I instantly fell in love with it. 2 awesome songs, right there.

Feeder - "Forget About Tomorrow"

I used to get bullied at school, so a few of the lyrics in this song struck a chord with me ("today it all feels fine, a sense of freedom fills your mind, can't think about tomorrow"). A beautiful song from one of my darkest times.

Transplants - "Diamonds and Guns"

I lost my virginity to this song

Green Day - "Welcome To Paradise"

I first heard this while I was at a friend's house, little realising they'd soon become one of my favourite bands. Still love this song.

Nirvana - "Scentless Apprentice"

"In Utero" was, more or less, the soundtrack to a particularly bad breakdown I had when I was 15. This track kinda worked like Primal Scream therapy for me, I'd put it on and roar it out.

Stone Temple Pilots - "Vasoline"

I'd heard of STP prior to hearing this (I knew that Scott Weiland had something of a reputation as a troublemaker). So, being a hardened GN'R fan, when Velvet Revolver came out with their first record, I thought I'd check 'em out. This was the first song I heard and in a short while, I'd bought all their records.

Smashing Pumpkins - "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"

The perfect release for my teen angst was to play and sing along with this in my bedroom at 16. The Pumpkins are now my favourite band, and this song started me off.

Pearl Jam - "Corduroy"

This song saved me from suicide, and it's my favourite song of all time. It takes me back to a really bad time, but it also reminds me that I'm over it now. Incredible.

Ramones - "Blitzkrieg Bop"

Well, what to say? One of the greatest punk songs ever, and the one that kick-started my interest (soon to be an obsession) with old-school punk rock.

Placebo - "Pure Morning"

This song is responsible in some part for my somewhat androgynous appearance. I got really heavily into Placebo through this song and it made me pull out the person I was inside - a make-up wearing bisexual Cheers, Brian.

Butch Walker - "Mixtape"

A beautiful song. Reminds me of a relationship that went wrong, and all I had to remind me about it were songs that she liked on my computer. Not exactly a mixtape, but close enough.

Megadeth - "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due"

I'm a total Megadeth fanboy, and this was my starting point. Heavy, technically amazing, great song. One of my favourite bands today.

Everclear - "How To Win Friends And Influence People"

I'd heard of Everclear through hearing their "Volvo Driving Soccer Mom" single on Captial FM's short-lived rock show. Anyway, a couple of years later, I read the lyrics to this one on the bus home one day after picking up their "Slow Motion Daydream" album out of curiosity. I knew I was reading about my life. An amazing song and, even though it's not from their best album, I still love it.

Alice In Chains - "Rooster"

I bought "Dirt" after reading a big article about Seattle grunge in a magazine. I had quite a few grunge records, and this fitted the collection nicely. This is my favourite song from it, harrowing and brilliant.

Buckcherry - "Lit Up"

I fell in love with Buckcherry after hearing this. I'm now a huge fan, and this song is my party song of choice. Great fun, classic rock sound, and an amazing tune to hear live.

Motley Crue - "Kickstart My Heart"

I love the Crue, and I'm guaranteed to dance around like a maniac every time I hear this. It just makes you think, "f*ck dying, I got too much livin' to do!". Life-affirming in a way.

Jane's Addiction - "Ocean Size"

"Nothing's Shocking" is a a fantastic record, and this is my choice from it. A hard-rockin' song with great lyrics, you almost feel like you're on a massive high when you hear it.

The Clash - "Complete Control"

My favourite Clash tune. Reminds you that no one should have control over you except you. My favourite part is the outro with Mick Jones singing, "C-O-N, control!". F*cking great.

The Replacements - "I Will Dare"

I've been driving my family crazy with this song recently. I started listening to The Replcements after hearing Billie Joe Armstrong rave about them. This is the opener from their "Let It Be" record and it's great.

Husker Du - "Could You Be The One?"

A similar story to The Replacements really. I heard Billie Joe Armstrong talk about them, so I checked them out. I think it's cool to check out the artists that influenced your influences. This is a great tune from their "Warehouse: Songs and Stories" album.

Sorry for the length, guys
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Last edited by 67_67 at Dec 21, 2007,
A day in the life- The Beatles

Just because it cheers me up when I'm feeling down. It's sheer wackiness instils a confidence that even if things aren't going your way It doesn't really matter much.

Wild Thing- The Troggs

Because it was the first song I learned to play.

Hey - The Pixies

Because it was the first song that led directly to me getting laid when I played it.
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
Beatles - Let it be & yesterday
Metallica - anything by them really ( especially fade to black )
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to heaven
Guns 'n roses - anything
and much more
Pink Floyd- Great gig in the sky
The vocals in this song combined with the piano are incredibly powerful

Mogwai- Hunted By a Freak
Completely changed the way I look at music

Aphex Twin- Vordhosbn/ Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michaels Mount
This and a few select other AFX tracks that got me into electronic/IDM
Layla - Clapton/ Derek & The Dominos

i was actually watchin yahoo music videos about 3 years ago and i saw his live performance from japan...that right there made me want to learn guitar

Time Warp - Brad Paisley

a sweet instrumental that has a Country Jazzy twist..not to mention hes like the van halan of country music guitarist

I Got A Name - Jim Croce

even though he didnt right this song, hes still one of te best songwriters in my book
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
1. Brother. from Unplugged-Alice in Chains
This song made me want to play guitar for the first time. The rhythms to it are really cool, before I played guitar I would sit around with an acoustic and sing the words, pretending like I was.
2. Down In A Hole-Alice in Chains
This is the first song I learned to play. The hammer on at the beginning was the first thing I ever learned on guitar, and it set my course.
3. Willie the Pimp-Frank Zappa
This song was my introduction to Frank Zappa, who made me want to write music that sounds bigger than just guitar, bass, and drums.
4. B.O.B.-Outkast
This song got me into hip-hop. When I first heard it, I had no idea that it was even hip-hop, I just liked the sound of it. This is the song that made me want to listen to music outside of the rock box. It also made me want to make more dance worthy music.
5. St. Andrew's Fall by Blind Melon
This is the song that made me want to sing and play at the same time.
6. Tango Til They're Sore-Tom Waits
This song made me care more about lyrics, and wanting to make them sound better.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
All Along The Watch Tower-Jimi Hendrix version

First Hendrix song I heard. It was the song that got me interested in classic rock and really got me paying attention to the guitar in music.
There were never any good old days/They are today, they are tomorrow/It's a stupid thing we say/Cursing tomorrow with sorrow
One Big Rush (Live In San Francisco) - Joe Satriani
First song I heard by him. Random download. It just blew my mind how a song could be so perfect, so melodic, so adrenaline-pumping, it was absolutely incredible. Where have you been all these years!?!? I said. The search was over. This was the type of music I was made to listen to.

Burn - Deep Purple
Pretty much my standard for heavy rock songs. It is such a perfect blend of dynamics, such a great song structure, it has so many sides to it, and most of all, rocks the HELL out without being stripped down or simplified with some random downtuned powerchords. First song I listened to by them.

Reptilia - The Strokes
First song again, ha. My first real musical experience, I could lose myself in this song. Every little vocal dynamic, every riff, and then the breakdown - all instruments doing entirely different things, yet it all comes together so incredibly well. Made me want to play guitar.
any pavement song.
I love there music, that and when I listen to it it reminds me of the coolest guy I have ever known.

A Wolf Descends Upon the Spanish Sahara- Fair to Midland
In the intro when they hit those first few chords, it just sends chills down my back.

Canada- Five Iron Frenzy
This is just one of my favorites by these guy, they got me into ska.

California Waiting- Kings of Leon
One of my favorite bands, this song makes me happy

Everything Jack White makes (minus some stuff from get behind me satan)
He is my favorite guitarist, it makes me high

Redneck- Lamb of God
I just really like the guitar work in this song

You're not alone- Saosin
great song

I'll stop now, I could go on for a while
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Yes im gonna say this

Green day - wake me up when september ends
my friend passed away on his 11th and this song was played at his funeral so...

Deep purple- Smoke on the water
Got me into guitar playing
the truth machine by skycamefalling

i was like 13 and the first time i ever even heard of them they were opening for FATA, i was seriously so blown away
Vi äro tusende - Tältprojektet (We are legion - The tent project) Swedish proggband

This song didn't really change my life but it gives me a sad feeling as I listened to this all day long around the time when Antonio Puerta died and whenever I hear it, it makes me think of him...

Paradise City did however partly change my life, it was the first GN'R song I ever heard knowing it was by them and it got me into rock. GN'R is still more or less my favourite band as of yet.
The Rock Show - Blink 182
This is the song that got me into music in general, not just rock music. I don't care what anyone thinks, I still love Blink 182. Their songs are catchy and fun and they bring back great memories for me.

Master of Puppets - Metallica
This is probably the song that got me into metal music. I can't remember though, it might have been another Metallica song, but it was probably this one. Still a great song, but I don't listen to it really anymore.

Pulmonary Archery - Alexisonfire
This is the first song that started getting me into the music I like now. Still an amazing song.

Ghostship Part IV - The Fall of Troy
This song led to me looking for more stuff by the Fall of Troy, which led to me looking for more bands with more complex guitar work. One of my favourite songs still.

The End of an Era - Hopesfall
This song gives me chills every single time. It led to me listening to more Hopesfall stuff, so it kinda got me into bands that are still heavy but have awesome melodic parts. I think this is the best song ever written.

The Year Summer Ended in June - Misery Signals
Have to include this, the first song I heard by my favourite band and still the best.
metallica - master pof uppets
This was the song that got me into metal, as soon as i heard the first riff i fell in love with that song, also the min reason metallica are my favourite band by far.

led zeppelin - stairway to heaven
this is what got me into guitar, my dad had a led zep dvd and as soon as i saw stairway to heaven i wanted to play guitar.

scorpions - rock you like a hurricane
when i heard that song i just kept singing the chorus for a whole week and the main riff is still one of my favourites
Killing In The Name-Rage Against the Machine
Heard it on GTA San Andreas and absolutley loved it. I never really heard that much power from a song that didn't fall into the metal category and the guitar was startlingly simplistic yet it still sent shivers up and down my backbone. RATM became my favourite band over the next year

Disciple-Slayer
Basically introduced me to the heavier side of music. I'm still not that much into metal, but before I never really gave any kind of metal a chance and was a lot more open minded after I heard this.

Jesus Christ Pose-Soundgarden
Influenced my playing a lot for a while for whatever reason, and lead to Soundgarden to be one of my favourites, if my favourite band at the minute.

All My Life-Foo Fighters
Was what convinced me to play guitar. In my youth, I loved the opening one note riff and thought it'd be cool to play it. Bear in mind I was a lot younger....

The Real Slim Shady-Eminem(Hear me out on this)
I wasn't a musical person at all until I heard this song. I consequently bought my first album(Marshal Mathers LP) and then I moved on from there to having music as a big part of my life
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
No One Knows- QOTSA
This song actually got me into proper rock music. I'd liked a bit of rock I heard on the radio, but this came out and the riff blew me away, it was in my head for days. I went and got the album and never looked back after that.

Run To The Hills- Iron Maiden
This got me into metal and made me want to play guitar. My friend played it to me and I was in love with Iron Maiden, partly because they seemed all evil, which of course means cool, and because this song rules.

Mouth For War- Pantera
This made me start to like heavier metal. I got the album and it was one of the heaviest things I'd heard. The riff was so groovy and heavy at the same time and for ages I tried to rip of Dimebag, before I realised that everything turned up apart from middle doesn't work well on a Squier strat/Fender 15W amp combo.

Ghost of Perdition-Opeth
Could be any song off the Ghost Reveries album, that CD really got me into prog metal and showed me how much 10 minute metal epics rule.

Rockin' In The Free World-Neil Young
This got me hooked on Neil Young, and I started to listen to his acoustic stuff, and I got into more laidback music. I loved how he'd write one song all heavy and grungy, and the next minute write a tender, loving ballad.

A Day In The Life-The Beatles
This showed me how important and great a good vocal hook can be in music. It also made me truly appreciate how progressive and musically talented The Beatles actually were, instead of dismissing them as dull pop, which I'd done before.
Alice in Chains: Junkhead
This song helped me understand my dads past and current drug problem. Love the guy to death. Layne Staleys voice can give you chills you know what i mean. This song also gave me a great memory with my dad, driving on Rt. 46 with my dad, listening to this song and singing/ screaming along, still gives me chills just thinking about it...

Atreyu: Lip gloss and black
This is a song that is just great in terms of hardcore and metal. Also helping me get through all the Sh** ive been through these last 2 years. I could put this on and scream to it for days, plus awesome breakdown, solo, and piano in song...

Eminem: If i Had, and Rock Bottom
Deffinitly 2 of Eminems best early works. Also just help me get through life, lyrics totally explain me as well.

Rise Against: The good left undone, Survive, Give it all
Awesome songs to throwdown to at a show, very catchy and i just love to sing them.

Bullet for my Valentine: Room 409, Hit The floor, Hand of Blood, Curses, Tears dont Fall

All these songs are what got me into heavier music in general, some of my favorite guitar songs that inspire alot of the things i write on guitar today. And they are my 2nd favorite band next to Atreyu.
Quote by AllwoodGuitars
Eminem: If i Had, and Rock Bottom
Deffinitly 2 of Eminems best early works. Also just help me get through life, lyrics totally explain me as well.

Anyways, here's what I posted in the other nearly-identical thread:

Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park
Not a song, but whatever. Anyways, this album got me into music - not just rock. Previously, I had never really listened to music for enjoyment, and this changed all of that.

Chop Suey - System of a Down
This is the song that got me into heavier music. It's funny, because the first time I saw the song's video, I thought, "Wtf? Are these guys satanic or what? Weird, I'll never listen to music like this". Of course, that changed - due to this song.

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Another album, but whatever. This was the first album from the "90s era" that I got into. I had previously liked System of a Down's '98 debut, and some Nirvana songs, but RATM's debut was a full album with old-school written all over it.

This is where it gets kind of shady. I immersed myself in a shitload of new music for about two years. Tool's Aenima was another one of the first 90s albums I liked, and AC/DC's album Back in Black was probably the first 80s album I listened to and liked.

...And Justice For All - Metallica
My first real metal album. I was surprised I liked it. But after this came the rest of Metallica's 80s repertoire, as well as Iron Maiden, Pantera, Anthrax, etc.

*more musical chaos and obscurity*

Beetlejuice main title / Pee-Wee's Big Adventure music - Danny Elfman
These two songs DEMANDED that I familiarize myself with Danny Elfman's work, and - by extension - film music in general. I likewise downloaded about a gig's worth or so of film soundtracks, but, to be honest, main titles are the only moments that really interest me. This was kind of a failed musical exploration. Most film soundtracks just really aren't worth my time, save for a few tracks.

Piano Concerto No. 1, Mvt 1 - Tchaikovsky
I had previously listened to a fair share of classical music (Rondo Alla Turka, Moonlight Sonata, In the Hall of the Mountain King, etc), but this was the first "full scale" classical piece that I really got into. Indeed, I just sat at my desk and listened to it, and during that moment, I knew I had to pursue classical music further.

The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
This one happened just LAST NIGHT! I listened to this album, and enjoyed it a lot - my first experience of that kind in regards to old-school hip hop. I'd previously liked some post-90s hip hop, and some more modern 90s hip hop, but this was the first old-school experience I thoroughly enjoyed.

That's the gist of my musical development. There are other life-changing experiences, like hearing Marilyn Manson for the first time (Mechanical Animals), but overall these are the main ones I can remember. I suppose I should mention Jack Johnson, since he's probably one of the first mellow artists I ever got into. I'd listened to mellow music before, though, so maybe he doesn't count.
This thread is full of good ****!

ATCQ are great ey?

+1 on most of it, original choices go to Explosions in the sky, mogwai, husker du and the replacements.

Kate Nash is seriously wack though.
ride the lightning got me into metal years ago. cacaphony taught me how good shred can be, and far beyond the sun gave me a target of melody to focus on.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Page 1 of 3