Page 1 of 2
hey guys, ive been planning on buying a new guitar and just wanted to know which guitar u guys here on UG would say is the best .... i'll give u the guitar names, my style of music and etc etc... and u can then tell me which 1 would be the best and which 1 u'd get....
styles : mainly nu metal and death metal (symphonic and melodic .... therion & in flames), classic rock, gunge....... and yeah thats what i mainly want to play on the new guitar im getting (more metal than the other genre's as i have 2 other guitars which handle the other genre's pretty good)

options:
* Jackson JS30DK Dinky
* Jackson JS30KE Kelly
* Jackson JS30KV King V
* Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
* Ibanez RG370DX
* Ibanez GRG270B
* Ibanez GRG06LTDGB
* Ibanez EXR 170-IP

yeah i know these arent the "pro" guitars, more like beginner/intermediate guitars.... but i have to cut down from my guitar as im getting a stack (most probably a brunetti tube amp with hiwatt cabinets)

yeah, ive heard some things about jackson js30 series guitars ... and thats mainly by people who own the MG or pro or X series .... but when i actually tried the guitars, they weren't bad at all, they were pretty good if u ask me. And yeah, i also was looking into dean guitars, but here in italy, they dont have too many dean guitars, and if i want a dean, i'd have to order it from the states, so no dean guitars

there are lots of things to consider while buying a guitar ..... and theres 1 in particular that im having a problem with, the tremolo..... heres the thing, i really want to do the squeals, divebombs, and other cool whammy tricks, BUT what i mainly focus on is having a good rhythm and an amazing riff to a song that gets stuck in people's head rather than having a 30 minute solo which people dont even remember.... but yes i do like soloing and i do want to have some 10-15 sec solos in the song, but i want to concentrate more on riffs and stuff.... and i just want to learn the whammy tricks so i have atleast a basic idea of every trick in the book.... so yeah, i was having problem deciding whether i should get a string-thru or a tremolo.... and if i do get a trem should i get a floyd, a floyd lo-pro or a vintage..... i was looking at the process of re-stringing a floyd, when i realized that i could rather just completely not have a tremolo at all, but i do want it... so idk what to do

so, thank you in advance for helping me.
jacksons seem more metal to me than ibanez because of the look. ibanez seem more versatile but not as metal.
Consider the Ibanez RG321 EX. It's a really nice axe for not a lot of cash but with enormous potential for upgrading. It plays very nicely indeed. Alternatively if you can stretch a bit further look at the new Washburn 200 Pro range which has a variety of body shapes with either genuine EMG or Duncan pickups for £300-400 in the UK. I haven't played one yet ut I've heard good things.
Quote by pos69sum
jacksons seem more metal to me than ibanez because of the look. ibanez seem more versatile but not as metal.

well, same here bro... but im not really going in for the guitar just for the looks, i want the sound too
if i just wanted the looks, i would've bought a crappy local Jackson Kelly remake or a Gibson Explorer remake, but what i really want is a good sounding metal guitar more than a good looking metal guitar .....
Quote by Jodimu
Consider the Ibanez RG321 EX. It's a really nice axe for not a lot of cash but with enormous potential for upgrading. It plays very nicely indeed. Alternatively if you can stretch a bit further look at the new Washburn 200 Pro range which has a variety of body shapes with either genuine EMG or Duncan pickups for £300-400 in the UK. I haven't played one yet ut I've heard good things.

well yeah when i saw it online, it just looked awesome!!
but they dont have it here and they said it'd take them about 4-5 months to order and receive it... and to be honest, i want the guitar in my hands by the 1st week of october at most. Oh yeah, im not really into ordering it from a website either as i'd like to feel and play the guitar and when im ready, i'd like to buy it and receive it at the same moment and not have it come weeks after i paid for it

and yeah, im thinking of getting either dimebuckers & 81/85 or 81 & 81 or 60 & 81 like few weeks after i buy the guitar and get used to it and when i have the money for them ..
Quote by GuitarManNick
well, same here bro... but im not really going in for the guitar just for the looks, i want the sound too
if i just wanted the looks, i would've bought a crappy local Jackson Kelly remake or a Gibson Explorer remake, but what i really want is a good sounding metal guitar more than a good looking metal guitar .....

you can get a good sound from either brand with skill and the right pickups. i don't know about the models you listed, but i wound up buying both a jackson dxmg and an ibanez s470. they are both great guitars, at the same price level. but i didn't like the hz pickups in the dxmg and had to change them - while the s470 was good to go with the stock pickups. i play pretty much the same styles of music.
+1 on the S470

TS, if you want new pickups. Don't bother with dimebuckers...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

ahh... yeah, i dont think they have the s470 ...
http://www.yourmusiconline.it/catalogo.asp?scat=CHIT%20&cat=C.ELE&MAR=IBANE&pg=1&q=

they have 4 pages of ibanez guitars on there, thats the only ones they have =[

http://www.yourmusiconline.it/catalogo.asp?scat=CHIT%20&cat=C.ELE&mar=JACKS
they only have 2 pages of jacksons =[ ....
but yeah, i'll surely ask them if they can get it here by october .... thanks =D
Get a ibanez any day over a jackson, ulness you plan to order factory custom. I never played any jackson's I really liked.
Quote by myfaceisagocart
Get a ibanez any day over a jackson, ulness you plan to order factory custom. I never played any jackson's I really liked.

Says by a 15 years old with a jackson dinky HT standard...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

It is worth the extra money. Cheap trems are prone to wear. And soon they will all worn down and those guitars won't be able hold tuning for more than 10 minutes.

This guitar has one of the best trem on the market (well not the best but the best for the price)

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick
It is worth the extra money. Cheap trems are prone to wear. And soon they will all worn down and those guitars won't be able hold tuning for more than 10 minutes.

This guitar has one of the best trem on the market (well not the best but the best for the price)

yeah, i see what u mean, but to be honest, right now after seeing how long it takes to restring a floyd (doing all the setting up and stuff) i think i'd be better without them ... =P .... and yeah, i am really lazy .... so lazy that i got an electric string winder which i use during re stringing .. =P .. lol
but yeah, i will surely look into this guitar .... i'll go and chk it out and play it =D
thanx =D
I prefer the Jacksons but I'd go for a better series then the JS, it would be worth saving a bit extra for the next model up imo.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by DieKrupps
ibanez.

Your powers of persuasion should be commended.

In my experience, lower end Ibanez guitars have better build construction and resonance than lower end Jacksons.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Sep 17, 2007,
Quote by p.stick

dude, i just checked out that guitar's page

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_italy.html

and i checked out the tremolo specs... just looks amazing .... just that im afraid that i might **** up the bridge while restringing as i dont know how to set it up and stuff, and i have ****ed up an floyd on a cort X11 (second hand)
(http://www.cort.co.kr/english/products/common/view.asp?product_id=130) once, it was on my 2nd guitar, and i got the whole guitar exchanged and got a strat i know it was a stupid move to get the strat, but whats done is done .. so idk if a floyd is what i want/need.
I have an x6

You've got to learn sooner or later. And if you ****ed the trem up, you can always come here and ask us. It is quite easy once you learnt how to do it.

Quote by KileManA7X

u do!!!
dude, ive been looking for some1 with that guitar ..... how is that guitar ?!? hows the sound and stuff ?? i was wanting to buy that 1st but then when my price range went up, i just started looking at other guitars !!! but yeah, im also looking for guitars which are cheap but have good wood and specs so that if i change the pu's they'll sound kick ass!!

lol, yeah i could do that too.... but yeah, i think i'll just go ask the store if they have the S520ex and if its available, if yes, then i'll check it out..... thanx =D
This thread needs a poll lol.

+1 on the S520EX, it was pretty nice. I would change the pickups though.
WTLTL 2011
Pros:
I've had the guitar for two years and not a problem with it so far. I love the bridge. It holds tune very well (3-4 weeks in fact once the strings are settled properly). The neck is median thin and smoothe, just the way I like it. Frets are finished nicely as well. The pickup is warm and great for clean stuff, blue, classic rock, modern rock + other non high gain stuff. The finish is very nice as well. It is actually impossible to scratch. I have played plenty of guitars that are twice as expensive as this one but not as good.

Cons:
The factory setup is poor. I had to reset my whole guitar. But that only took about 2 hours and after it is done properly, it plays like a pro guitar. The basswood body is prone to dents but it shouldn't be a problem if you are careful. And the pickup is not hot enough for my taste. Don't know about you, I play metalcore stuff and the pickup doesn't "scream" if you know what I mean. But then again, it depends on what amp you have really. Pickup itself is not important.

The X11 is basically the same guitar just looks better and has a better trem.

Personally I don't think it is worth the money. I've played both and chose X6 over X11

Quote by KileManA7X

This is just my personal opinion, but I get the feeling that everyone recommends Ibanez because Steve Vai plays one. It's not a knock against Ibanez because people really love them. However, I've always found the Jacksons more comfortable to play. As long as you are looking at the Pro series or higher, you are going to get a quality guitar.
cool.... well, idk coz last time i saw the price of a X6 it was like 195euros and i have 320euros for a guitar, so if i get the cort x6 and change the pu's to duncans or emg's do u think it'll be good ??? and as for my amp.... i just recently got a brunetti head
http://www.brunetti.it/br_products.php?prodID=19&lang=IT
with behringer bg412h cabinet....
http://www.behringer.com/BG412H/index.cfm?lang=eng

and it has an amazing sound!! and especially when i plug in my multi effects pedal (zoom g1x) it just sounds amazing!! and at home, i got a fender frontman 15R .... not as good as the brunetti, but then again, apart from marshall and mesa boogie stacks, i dont think theres anything better than the brunetti....

so, yeah, idk, would u say i rather buy the s520ex or the cort x6 and get the pu's changed ... ???
Quote by rhettro
This is just my personal opinion, but I get the feeling that everyone recommends Ibanez because Steve Vai plays one. It's not a knock against Ibanez because people really love them. However, I've always found the Jacksons more comfortable to play. As long as you are looking at the Pro series or higher, you are going to get a quality guitar.

lol, to be honest, i dont really give a **** about steve via .. like, he's a good guitarist and all, but the main reason im inot ibanez is coz they have good guitars at reasonable prices and also coz Munky and Mick Thomson use it .. .... but yeah, more because they kick ass!!
Quote by rhettro

People recommend Ibanez because they have better necks and trems than Jackson. Ibanez is just a higher quality guitar. Seriously did anyone see the fret job on the semi hollowbody that guy posted the other day? I ruined a pair of pants when I saw that thing.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
I have never heard of that amp to be honest...

But for the cab you could do a lot better than that behringer.

S520 doesn't have a very good pickup either. In fact, those infinity pickups are worse than the mightymite.

But it does have a better trem. It's up to you really. Try them out see which one you like better. Keep in mind that the cort has 24 frets.

What music do you play?

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by Jodimu

agreed, rg321 or washburn x series.

some of the cheaper lags are quite nice too, just avoid the ones with double locking trems (as i don't trust cheapo locking trems), and also watch out for the quality control- with most guitars in a cheapish price range, you want to be trying the one you buy, as they can't afford to dump as many poor ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, its an italian company, not too well know, but there are some samples on the bottom of the link i gave u, if u want u can chk it out.....
and yeah i know i couldve got a hiwatt or something like that, but i got the behringer for 350 and the the rest were all like 500 .. so i got the behringer....
and well, i mainly play metal (with the new 1 i'll be playing more metal... than any other genre as i have other guitars for the other genre's =D... )
but yeah, i like the 24fret thing, idk why, its just a factor for me, like some mental block or something like 24 fret = good (which i know is not true but its a mental block).
and to be completely honest, the guitars i listed on the 1st page dont have good stock pu's but i dont care about that as when i plug it into an amp, feed in my setting and plug in my effects box, i know that i'll get what i want, if i dont, i just dont go for the guitar....
dave mc!! dude!! u dont know how much ur post about the 10 or should i say 12 commandments helped me!! dude!! thanks for posting that !! ....
and i really think u should add a commandment..... THOU SHALT NOT BUY AN ELECTRIC GUITAR WITH THE LETTERS "BC RICH" WRITTEN ON THE HEADSTOCK.... dude, that should be like commandment number 2 or 3 !!
^
no problem, glad it helped!
( some of the 80's USA bc riches, though i haven't tried them, were meant to be sweet)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Compare the heel of the jacksons and ibanez for their bolt-on necks, i found the ibanez was much easier to move around. maybe it was just the models i happened to pick up.
Quote by black_box
Compare the heel of the jacksons and ibanez for their bolt-on necks, i found the ibanez was much easier to move around. maybe it was just the models i happened to pick up.

That also means more wood out of the body. I prefer Jackson for having higher build quality. However, none of the ones you listed had very good pickups or tremolos on them. My advise is to save or buy used.
Quote by CJRocker
That also means more wood out of the body. I prefer Jackson for having higher build quality. However, none of the ones you listed had very good pickups or tremolos on them. My advise is to save or buy used.

well, for the pickups, i can just get them replaced, and as for tremolo.... right now im just thinking about getting a string thru...
You don't need a stack. Spend a little more on the guitar, and get one with a decent trem
Page 1 of 2