I currently play with 2 fingers (I've tried 3 but I never really got into it), but i want to start playing Thrash, would I be making things a lot harder for myself sticking with 2 fingers? Any other advice on playing thrash would be appreciated.

thanks
try to use all fingers
therefore it wud be quicker gettin to differnt notes
and its easier wen it comes to solos
eg. metallica for whom the bell tolls-easy song but the little interlude requries to use all fingers

so yer use all fingers
Quote by 2mins2midnite
try to use all fingers
eg. metallica for whom the bell tolls-easy song but the little interlude requries to use all fingers

so yer use all fingers

Which part are you refering to?
Quote by 2mins2midnite
try to use all fingers

so yer use all fingers
Erm, he's referring to the right hand, not the fretting hand.
Quote by yawn
Erm, he's referring to the right hand, not the fretting hand.

I mean in for whom the bell tolls :P.
Quote by yawn
Erm...wha?

I was asking him which part in for whom the bell tolls required the use of 4 fingers.
Just stick to 2 fingers if you're happy with that.
I use two and can shred ****ing fast and have no problems with speed, although I'll use three fingers if there is a fair bit of string skipping.
Quote by Chimpy101
Just stick to 2 fingers if you're happy with that.
I use two and can shred ****ing fast and have no problems with speed, although I'll use three fingers if there is a fair bit of string skipping.

Any advice for building 2 finger speed then? I've been playing scales but doing 4 16th notes per note on the scale up and down the neck, shall I keep going with that?
I meant 2mins2midnite was referring to the wrong hand, not you, threadstarter. ><
Quote by yawn
I meant 2mins2midnite was referring to the wrong hand, not you, threadstarter. ><

Ah right sorry :P.
Quote by ripper91
Any advice for building 2 finger speed then? I've been playing scales but doing 4 16th notes per note on the scale up and down the neck, shall I keep going with that?

Just keep playing every day for as long as you can. Start of by playing your scales slowly and gradually speed them up.
I'm not show how I got my finger speed up to the standard it is now, it just kinda happened
Work on gallops and triplet rhythms, and also muting. Try "Raining Blood" by Slayer for a finger workout.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
i can play with all 5 fingers, but normally i just use 2 or 3.....that or the thumb.......but, say, when playing stuff like the intro of For Whom The Bell Tolls, in that i use four fingers... it rocks!
Use as many fingers as is necessary to make a phrase easy to play and comfortable.

Don't be a n00b and use loads of fingers just to show off. It's not cool.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by 2mins2midnite
try to use all fingers

Wait... what? For Whom the Bell Tolls can EASILY be played with only two fingers.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Thanks for the responses, do you have any videos of your playing chimpy?
Quote by ripper91
I currently play with 2 fingers (I've tried 3 but I never really got into it), but i want to start playing Thrash, would I be making things a lot harder for myself sticking with 2 fingers? Any other advice on playing thrash would be appreciated.

thanks

Harder, but not alot harder, it's doable, unless you're playing triplets, then it's much harder.

I'd go for 3, some people say 4, but the pinky and ring fingers share a tendon which means its very hard to make them independant and they kinda move as one.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
I'd go for 3, some people say 4, but the pinky and ring fingers share a tendon which means its very hard to make them independant and they kinda move as one.

Practice makes perfect. When you're not using your hand, tap your fingers on your leg or desk/table going 1-2-3-4-3-2-1. Start slow so you can get your muscles to remember the movement and once it goes smooth and your arm/hand/fingers doesn't have some very weird feeling anymore, start going faster. At first for me it was really easy to do 4-3-2-1 very quickly, but when doing 1-2-3-4 it felt really awkward and my fingers were screwing up, but now I can do it really easy even though I NEVER finger like that lol.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
I play thrash-y metal, and i started with just two fingers and got by ok. What I've been working on lately is using 2 fingers for most parts, 3 for the gallops and 4 for the tricky bits where im following the guitar parts.

Its taking a lot of work to build up strength in my 3rd n 4th fingers, but it does make things easier.
Quote by ripper91
Thanks for the responses, do you have any videos of your playing chimpy?

There are videos of me playing with my band, but none of me alone, and you can barely see me in the band videos (as always )
I should probably put some up on youtube sometime, but lack a camera and mic
Sorry
Quote by Ranxston
Practice makes perfect. When you're not using your hand, tap your fingers on your leg or desk/table going 1-2-3-4-3-2-1. Start slow so you can get your muscles to remember the movement and once it goes smooth and your arm/hand/fingers doesn't have some very weird feeling anymore, start going faster. At first for me it was really easy to do 4-3-2-1 very quickly, but when doing 1-2-3-4 it felt really awkward and my fingers were screwing up, but now I can do it really easy even though I NEVER finger like that lol.

I do the same but i do 3-2-1-4 and so on