Despite my dad being in a band when I was younger, and everyone around me being so into music, I never really was. Until one day a couple years ago I stumbled upon Machine Gun. And I was like, "Damn."

Machine gun hit me, and then I started seeking out more Jimi Hendrix. I had heard Purple Haze and Fire and a couple other songs by him but didn't think much of him until I got into things like Hey Baby and Message to the Universe. Once I saw video of his live performances, I was hooked. His music inspired me to play guitar, and now I have collected every bit of his recordings that I can find, probably just about everything that is out there.

But what I don't get is, I'm not that into anybody else. Of course there are other artists I enjoy listening to, but I won't put on a track just for the sake of hearing it. I won't hear it and think, "I must learn how to play that." In fact, when I do try to learn songs by other people, even much easier songs, I'm not as motivated and I don't play them as well or with nearly as much heart as I play Jimi's stuff. When I improv, it's always Hendrixism's even when I'm not trying to sound like him.

Also, I can't understand how other people are so uninterested in his music. Amongst guitarists, there are many people who like some of his stuff, and a lot who respect him. But none of my friends want to hear me listen to him in the car and such. Nobody seems to appreciate his music if they don't play guitar and appreciate it for its innovation.

I don't know what I'm trying to get at, it's just so weird for me to feel his music so strongly and have everyone around me be indifferent to it. Any thoughts?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Hendrix ftw. Best ever. Everyone who doesn't agree with me can start doing that now.
I'm really picky when it comes to Hendrix. Too much of it in a row bothers me, or at least if it's all one Hendrix record, instead of having it randomly skipping. Especially with the Experience. I think The Band of Gypsys were infinitely better.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
He's just incredible. His lead guitar shook the world. Every guitarist today owes him their balls
Hendrix helped define the psychedelic era in music. Naturally, I love most of his stuff.

Machine gun is an eerie song when you consider what it is about...(and I think that's what he was going for).

Though it's overplayed these days, I really love "The Wind Cries Mary". It's a gentle clash of many different types of music and poetry.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Quote by Coins
He's just incredible. His lead guitar shook the world. Every guitarist today owes him their balls

lol...we owe buddy guy for his work not hendrix...although i like hendrix's riffs he's too sloppy
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by buckethead_jr
Doesn't do anything for me.

I appreciate him for what he done for rock, but i don't like the man's music.

Not even Buckethead's version of Machine Gun?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Machine Gun was the first Hendrix song i heard (knowingly), and i was totally blown away by it. Probably not his greatest song technically, but whenever I hear it it's like going back to the first time, and it feels awesome.
"Rock is the ONLY religion that never let's you down" - Lemmy (aka God)
Quote by buckethead_jr
Doesn't do anything for me.

I appreciate him for what he done for rock, but i don't like the man's music.

Me also. I prefer Johnny Thunders
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
I've gotta fix this post..
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 17, 2007,
Hendrix was excellent no doubt about it, but I wonder what it would be like if he hadn't died and was still alive today, would he still be amazing or would he have declined in the "used to make good stuff but now meh" sense
Quote by SuperBlob
Me also. I prefer Johnny Thunders

Thunders is ****in ace.
Can't compare them though.

Both dead though
RIP Jimi and Johnny
Quote by denizenz
I'm with Buckethead_jr. I've never been a fan of his playing or music, but I respect the way he changed rock guitar.

I think I posted the wrong version.

This is the good one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bQjZuYIxgPk&mode=related&search=
Quote by vintage x metal

Eh, I find Hendrix mundane most of the time. He has a few great songs, but the rest really don't do anything for me.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by denizenz
Posting covers isn't going to get me to like Jimi Hendrix...just because I like Gilbert's version of Two Become One doesn't mean I'll be the first in line when the spice girls get back together...

Oh, I've got no interest in getting him into Hendrix. I think Hendrix is over rated, or at least the Experience is.. But I really like Buckethead's version.
Quote by vintage x metal

to ts, i feel the same way Nobody elses music makes me want to play the guitar as much... but I can't listen to hendrix NON STOP!.
Also, Hendrix owes a lot to Buddy Guy... but he's still the best.
He is the greatest guitarist full-stop in my opinion. His guitar style was so fluid, combining rhythm and lead together and bringing together jazz, blues, rock, soul, psychedelic music together. His songs always had really great melodies too, and he could go from heavy to soft in an instant.

He was just one of a kind and he had a damn fine rhythm section to back him up.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Oh, I've got no interest in getting him into Hendrix. I think Hendrix is over rated, or at least the Experience is.. But I really like Buckethead's version.

Of course you like Buckethead's version. Buckethead ftw!
Hendrix is a really great guitarist and song writer.i have all the respect for him in the world that man was god!but some of my friends disagree, not with him being the greatest, but with the fact that his songs were good.my friends hate his music theyd rather listen to steve vai and satch....not that theres anything wrong with that, but still, pay the man respect.
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

TS I feel 100% the way you do.

My eyes were watering when I listened to Little Wing...

But like you said, Machine Gun is just so amazingly powerful it literally gave me shivers over my entire body.

Everything that man did was fantastic. Nobody will ever come close.

EDIT: In fact we're so similar that I was thinking of starting a thread similar to this a couple of days ago.
I prefer SRV. But Hendrix deserves his recognition. He made good stuff.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
I prefer SRV. But Hendrix deserves his recognition. He made good stuff.

SRV wouldn't be what he was without Hendrix influencing him.
I can think of no other who can be called a Guitar God more than Hendrix. When he played it sounded like the guitar did his biding for fear of his wrath.
There were never any good old days/They are today, they are tomorrow/It's a stupid thing we say/Cursing tomorrow with sorrow
Quote by Angry-Mares
SRV wouldn't be what he was without Hendrix influencing him.

Agree. But I just like his stuff more.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I don't like his music at all. To the point where I hate listening to it.

*gets flame shield*
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Quote by Coins
His lead guitar shook the world. Every guitarist today owes him their balls

I disagree. You should learn more about the real classics. Hendrix was not the first to rock the guitar.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I'm really picky when it comes to Hendrix. Too much of it in a row bothers me, or at least if it's all one Hendrix record, instead of having it randomly skipping. Especially with the Experience. I think The Band of Gypsys were infinitely better.

Yeah I fi listen to too much Hendrix it gives me a headache.

Still, he's one with the guitar in a way that even virtuoso shredders can only dream of.
Well, I REALLY got into Jimi after listening to his "Blues" album. That album is solid gold. That being said, he isn't the one I really get into the way you describe.

The band that does that to me is AC/DC. Every time I think I've heard enough of them, I find new albums by them that I haven't listened to and love them. And I have yet to hear an AC/DC song that I don't like.

Other artists that do that for me are ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Although, I like ZZ Top's '70s stuff a lot more than their '80s stuff.

When I play guitar, I tend to sound like a sort of mix between Billy Gibbons and Angus Young.

EDIT:

Quote by NemesisX
I don't like his music at all. To the point where I hate listening to it.

*gets flame shield*

I actually understand that. A lot of his music just sounds out of control. I can see why that wouldn't appeal to somebody.
Last edited by AngusIsMyHero at Sep 17, 2007,