So for school I have to write a report on the Islamic religion. The teacher wants us just to turn in our rough draft so that we can work on our mistakes. So keep in mind that what I am posting has not been edited or revised at all. Any and all comments/corrections welcome.

It is meant to be a crappy report. Not anything truly presentable. She just wants us to do a one run through, without spell checking, or anything, and see what we come out with. I would never in my life consider this an actual report. I guess you'd have to understand the assignment.

Alec Stanley
Week 3 Literature
September 17, 2007

The Five Pillars of the Islamic Religion

The Islamic religion was started by the self-proclaimed prophet of God, Muhammad. Islam can be defined as submission. Islam has many devout followers, mainly in the Middle East. One of the things that you have to follow in the religion of Islam, are know as the “Five Pillars of Islam.”

Shahada means bearing witness. You must pray “I bear witness that there is no other god but Allah, and that Muhammad is his prophet. You must also pray five times a day. Before dawn, mid dawn, mid day, mid noon, and before you go to bed. Before you pray you must wash your hands, face, arms, and feet as a sign of cleansing yourself before you approach Allah.

The third thing that you must do is Alms Giving. That simply means assisting the poor. You are also required to give Zakata, which is something that you give once a year that is 2.5% of your yearly income. You can also give a “sincere gift”, known as Sabaqa.

You must also fast in the month of Ramadan. When you are fasting you cannot eat, drink or have sex during the daylight hours. This lasts for about forty days.

The last, and possibly most important pillar, is the pilgramage to Mecca atleast once in your lifetime. Hajj is the time of year when you are supposed to make this journey. While you are there you must walk seven times clockwise around Kaaba. Kaaba is the supposed stone passed down by Adam and put in place by Abraham and Ishmael. While walking around it you must try to kiss the stone.

In conclusion, the Islamic religion is a very legalistic religion, and Islamic people are usually more devout in their practices than that average Christian.
Last edited by rockownsyou at Sep 17, 2007,
That may as well be a page full of bullet points. You haven't followed up any of your statements with evidence or justification.

Also, it's way too short.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Maybe its just me, but your conclusion seems to be horribly sterotyping Islamic and Christian people.
I thought your name was Ace Stanley for a second..

I was disappointed, because from here on out I was going to call you Ace Hole, and now I can't.

Dick.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Is that it? It's 292 words... Unless your teacher actually told you it was meant to be only a few hundred words =/
Quote by rockownsyou

In conclusion, the Islamic religion is a very legalistic religion, and Islamic people are usually more devout in their practices than that average Christian.

Seriously though, take the part out about the Christians. You are writing a report about Islam, not how much more devout the ones who follow Islam are.
There're no quotes, and you don't cite any references so you can't get higher than a C I'm afraid (and that's assuming everything else is spot on)
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
There're no quotes, and you don't cite any references so you can't get higher than a C I'm afraid (and that's assuming everything else is spot on)

Based on the content, I remember doing a report similar to this. It was a number of years ago. As such, Its not so much an essay as a short report. I dont think he has to include a bibliography...
Quote by JDawg
Seriously though, take the part out about the Christians. You are writing a report about Islam, not how much more devout the ones who follow Islam are.

+1

You can't make a sweeping remark about that, generalising all Muslims and Christians.
Well it is meant to be a crappy report. Not anything truly presentable. She just wants us to do a one run through, without spell checking, or anything, and see what we come out with. I would never in my life consider this an actual report. I guess you'd have to understand the assignment.

And yes, it is supposed to be short. She said one and a half pages at most. It was supposed to be a 3 paragraph report, not an essay. Also, it's a Christian class, so the point I was trying to make was that we as Christians should be more devout in doing what God tells us to do, seeing as Muslims do.
Last edited by rockownsyou at Sep 17, 2007,
Quote by rockownsyou

Whilst I agree that on average this is true in the sense you intended it, that's only because Islam is very ritualistic in comparison to Christianity. Christians follow all their rules just as much, but these rules don't involve as much physicality.

Oh and this paragraph is stupid.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by rockownsyou
Well it is meant to be a crappy report. Not anything truly presentable. She just wants us to do a one run through, without spell checking, or anything, and see what we come out with. I would never in my life consider this an actual report. I guess you'd have to understand the assignment.s

You probably should've added that to your first post, don't you think?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I thought your name was Ace Stanley for a second..

I was disappointed, because from here on out I was going to call you Ace Hole, and now I can't.

Dick.

I wish. I would call myself that if that were the case.

If only...
Too short, you also ake sweeping generalisations, which are a no-no.
Definatly remove the "self-proclaimed prophet" bit, Muhammed was as much a prophet as any other, including Jesus.
Quote by Cyberbob
Too short, you also ake sweeping generalisations, which are a no-no.
Definatly remove the "self-proclaimed prophet" bit, Muhammed was as much a prophet as any other, including Jesus.

Like I stated in an earlier post, this is a Christian class. Therefore, I would not call him a prophet, seeing as I myself am a Christian.

Here come the flamers
Quote by rockownsyou
Well it is meant to be a crappy report. Not anything truly presentable. She just wants us to do a one run through, without spell checking, or anything, and see what we come out with.

No teacher ever wants that. They might say they do but as soon as you get it back, 'this is not long enough or in depth.' Do it properly as you would a normal small report. 2 pages, good content, expand on your ideas.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
No teacher ever wants that. They might say they do but as soon as you get it back, 'this is not long enough or in depth.' Do it properly as you would a normal small report. 2 pages, good content, expand on your ideas.

I understand that, but this is supposed to be a rough draft. I am not supposed to go in depth. She wants to explain to us where we were wrong, and how to fix it.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
Maybe its just me, but your conclusion seems to be horribly sterotyping Islamic and Christian people.

Not sure about Christians, but he's right about the face that most Muslims are intensely protective and more conservative about their religion.

I.e. If I say " 'F' Jesus" all I really get is a few glares.

Over here, in Kuwait, if I saw " 'F' Muhammed" and some member of some high ranking cousin fucking family hears me, I get the living hell beat out of me, and will probably never be seen again.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Not sure about Christians, but he's right about the face that most Muslims are intensely protective and more conservative about their religion.

I.e. If I say " 'F' Jesus" all I really get is a few glares.

Over here, in Kuwait, if I saw " 'F' Muhammed" and some member of some high ranking cousin fucking family hears me, I get the living hell beat out of me, and will probably never be seen again.

You are completely right, but the point I was trying to make was that we as Christians should be more serious about doing what God tells us to do.
Yeah I get it dude, no worries. Your information is right, except that it's called "Zakat" not "Zakata"

But yeah, other than that, you're spot on pretty much.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
I took Islam class for 10 years. Government requirements.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
1 - you missed out one of the pillars.

2- hajj is definately not the most important, most muslims cant go.

And you never explained anything.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Well, I live in Kuwait. We need to take Religion and Arabic classes from Grades 1-12 to graduate, but during Grades 11-12 I can choose to not take them, but write essays for credits at the end of each semester.

I've always been turned off by the religion. Not because of the religion itself, which is quite a good conceptual religion, but for what people take it to mean these days.

Thus, I am Agnostic, leaning towards Jesus (not Christianity) and Buddhism
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Well, I live in Kuwait. We need to take Religion and Arabic classes from Grades 1-12 to graduate, but during Grades 11-12 I can choose to not take them, but write essays for credits at the end of each semester.

I've always been turned off by the religion. Not because of the religion itself, which is quite a good conceptual religion, but for what people take it to mean these days.

Thus, I am Agnostic, leaning towards Jesus (not Christianity) and Buddhism

Question. How could you lean towards Jesus and not Christianity? And what do you see wrong with Christianity?
Quote by rockownsyou
Question. How could you lean towards Jesus and not Christianity? And what do you see wrong with Christianity?

I understood him. He finds it hard to agree with a lot of the Bible, particularly the Old Testament, but finds Jesus' teachings to be inspiring. Right?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
edit: ^ Yep, you're exactly right.

Quote by rockownsyou

Jesus was quite epic. Or at least, the way he was portrayed (which I choose to believe in) was, in most ways, pretty much perfect.

Christianity, and Christians in general, just really tick me off. The problem with religion is that, no matter how strictly you abide by the rules, you can't possibly go through your entire life living the way some book tells you to. It's just not natural to me. That is, of course, my opinion.

I pledge my allegiance to the gods of metal
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by rockownsyou
Like I stated in an earlier post, this is a Christian class. Therefore, I would not call him a prophet, seeing as I myself am a Christian.

Here come the flamers

I'm not going to go OMGFNOWAI CAN U SAY THAT!!!!, but you seriously can't let your own beliefs influence your school or coursework, unless it is part of the task (for example, giving a Christian perspective on the task subject [e.g. euthenasia]). You can't write a report about Islam, and say that Muhammad wasn't a prophet, when a core part of the Muslim belief is that he was. You're supposed to be describing the religion, not letting the teacher know what you think of it.