Can someone point me in the right direction for shielding Jazz and P Bass pickguards. I know if you're shielding a strat or tele guard, it's best to trim the foil around the pickups so that no foil comes into contact with the screws or the pickup, but does the same apply to basses? i would assume so right? But my research has not lead me to any sources saying to trim, in fact I've found sources saying to put foil on the entire back of the guard. Does this sound right?

PS it's for my business, I'm trying to take all necessary steps to make my pickguards of the highest possible quality. Any help would be great. Thanks
Cladding the entire inside of the pick guard is unnecessary. Just make sure all the electrics are inside a neat box of faraday. Most important is that you make sure the foil doesn't contact anything exept parts and leads that are already on the ground side of the circuitry. This is pretty obvious, because you don't want to short circuit. I have shielded my Jazz-type bass by cladding the walls, floors and ceilings of all three the engine rooms with self adhesive aluminium foil, so everything is neatly contained within cages of Faraday (also the switches and pots). No special care was needed to avoid the pick-ups, for these are already enclosed in plastic, The screws holding the pick-ups are not part of the circuitry and need not to be insulated, while the copper plates underneath the pick-ups are supposed to connect to the ground, so no special care is needed there either. The only tricky bit I found to be the connecting leads of the potmeters and the output jack. You must pay good attention while fitting those to switch plate to make sure non of the positive leads and no bare positive wire is going to touch the foil clad wall.
Otherwise it's dead easy and will buck hum as good as any humbucker.
So, does that mean I should put copper foil on the entire back of the pickguards? I'm only worried about the pickguards here, that's what I'm selling. Jazz, P, Strat, Tele. Copper on the entire back? no need to worry about leaving a half cm around the pickups?

I want to know what you guys would want if you were buying a pickguard that you expected to be the best quality
No. You don't need the entire inside to be foil clad. Covering the parts that are over the body cavities plus a few millimeters will be enough. These extra millimeters will help to make a good conducting contact with the material cladding the walls of the cavities, which for this reason is extended a few millimeters beyond the upper edges covering a little bit of the top surface.
Pick guards you'll buy in the shop often have a conductive layer covering the entire inside surface, but that is done for ease of manufacturing only. For shielding a conductive box around the electronics, connected to the ground and insulated from the positive, is all you need.
Neither do you have to leave a gap around the pick-ups. As said, a typical Jazz pick up already has a plastic cover, so there's no need to worry about short circuiting the coil.
Yes.

When I shielded mine, I did the entire pickguard and the just past the cavities on the body, and up to the screw holes.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
the first few i did i would spray an entire sheet of aluminum foil then put it on the back of the pickguard and cut away with a razor. now ive found its better to tear off about 4" of foil, then spray that, and cut off about 1/2 - 2" strips and apply it to the whole guitar like that. that takes longer, but comes out more accurate and looks better, plus overlapping it couldnt hurt.