hi, i just bought a set of rotosound yellows forthe first time. are they nickel or nickel plated steel? also are they roundwound or hexcore? thanks
Roundwound + nickel
Rotosounds are bloody amazing
Welcome to the group =]
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 17, 2007,
Quote by philipisabeast
Roundwound + nickel
Rotosounds are bloody amazing
Welcome to the group =]

cool, i just wonder if they are right for me though. they feel great but i play a lot of metal. Are nickel strings often mellower sounding than their nickel plated steel counterparts?

i have a very bright guitar you see, alder bodied with horrible emg hz pickups that i will change soon.
Last edited by Sepulturick at Sep 17, 2007,
^ I play metal aswell [along with lots of clean stuf] on an Ibanez RG

They're mellow, last for ages, strong and don't fade sound wise

The mellow actually adds a bit of fatness which when i tried Dadarrio's i found lacking, those strings we're quite bright and metallic

I find they give a good solid round tone

Edit: Plenty of metal bands use them too
Quote by philipisabeast
^ I play metal aswell [along with lots of clean stuf] on an Ibanez RG

They're mellow, last for ages, strong and don't fade sound wise

The mellow actually adds a bit of fatness which when i tried Dadarrio's i found lacking, those strings we're quite bright and metallic

I find they give a good solid round tone

Edit: Plenty of metal bands use them too

Nice, well they are the first strings i have put on my new jackson, the strings that were on it when i bought it were black with rust!!! so its hard to tell if the strings are adding a bit of fatness or not as i have nothing to compare it too. they do feel nice so far though. better than the vast majority of brands i have used. i have tried all the major brands except dean markley so far. these are easily better than everything i have tried except possibly DR tite-fit strings. i'll see how i get on with them. thanks
They're nickel plated steel. Unless it says pure nickel then they aren't pure nickel. Oh, and hex core too if their adverts mean anything
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Well it says nickel strings on the packet

But they're my favourite brand of string, i need to get a good pack dean markleys and try them out perhaps

But yeah the roto's sound lasts for a long time
^ Well so do Ernie Balls and D'addarios, but they're Nickelplated. Unless it genuinely says pure nickel wound, they are nickel steel. You can tell by the tone as well. Nickel steel is bright and metallic, nickel is earthy and natural. If you were to get some Fender original 150's, they're pure nickel, you can tell the difference. Nickel is soft too so it's easier on frets and very very smooth.

I agree that Rotos are good though... Cheap and sound okay for sure. I prefer GHS though.
^ Well I got Boomers at the moment. They sound awesome and are generally the best strings I've tried as of yet, and I got a pack of 3 sets for £6

Also try Eric Johnson nickel rockers by GHS, great fat tone with perfect string gauging IMO.