Yo-yo.

Yesterday when I was looking through my music collection I realized I don't have any ska in there. I don't know why, but I've always kind of ignored that genre and never taken interest in it. I've more or less explored all corners of modern music, but never any ska, and I honestly don't know why. I'm really, really fond of horn sections, cool rhythms (which I think ska has a great deal of), punk music and I absolutely love reggae.

So I guess the time has come for me to check out some ska. What albums would you guys recommend for someone who knows absolutely nothing about the genre? And please explain a bit about the bands/artists (style-wise), that'd be absolutely awesome.

I know I could just pick a few random bands in the Punk & Ska suggestion thread, but I'd rather just know what the albums that I pick are like. Thank you.
try going to my space or purevolume and looking up some ska bands. you'll discover what bands you like rather then what someone elses opinion is. ska is a kind of genre that can really twist itself in a bunch of ways, so trying and learning things on your own can turn out a really cool result.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
Operation Ivy - More punk than ska, but some ska aspects.

The Specials/The Selecter/Madness - 70s British ska

The Aggrolites/Tim Armstrong's album A Poet's Life - Very reggae, not a lot of vocals

Reel Big Fish/Big D And The Kids Table - Punk-pop-ska, very fast

There's a small introduction
First wave stuff will be most to your liking if you like reggae. Prince Buster, Skatalites, Toots and the maytals, Desmond Dekker, Symarip, the pioneers, The ethiopians.

Then the twotone stuff, The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners, The beat (or The english beat if you live in America), The selecter.

Then you could listen to the third wave stuff I guess. Er, dont know much about it, dont like much of it either but it's quite popular.

For general song reccomendations:

Toots and the maytals - 54-46 was my number, monkey man

Symarip - Skinhead moonstomp

Prince Buster - Al Capone, One step beyond

Skatalites - Guns of navarone

The specials - Ghost town, Too much too young, A message to you rudy (cover, but good nonetheless)

Madness - Baggy trousers, Night boat to Cairo, House of fun

Bad Manners - Special brew, Lip up fatty.
also to add to the list bands that are more ska-core stuff like voodoo glow skulls and against all authority are very good.

also somewhere in their own category, the C-squat bands like Choking victim, leftover crack, indk, no-cash, public serpents, morning glory, etc. have alot of ska influenced stuff but not much on the brass section.
my sh*t:
Fender Precision Bass
Johnson Bass by Axl
custom Road handwired 2-12
Dunlop Tortex .73s
Quote by DanRev
First wave stuff will be most to your liking if you like reggae. Prince Buster, Skatalites, Toots and the maytals, Desmond Dekker, Symarip, the pioneers, The ethiopians.

Then the twotone stuff, The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners, The beat (or The english beat if you live in America), The selecter.

Then you could listen to the third wave stuff I guess. Er, dont know much about it, dont like much of it either but it's quite popular.

For general song reccomendations:

Toots and the maytals - 54-46 was my number, monkey man

Symarip - Skinhead moonstomp

Prince Buster - Al Capone, One step beyond

Skatalites - Guns of navarone

The specials - Ghost town, Too much too young, A message to you rudy (cover, but good nonetheless)

Madness - Baggy trousers, Night boat to Cairo, House of fun

Bad Manners - Special brew, Lip up fatty.

Listen to him, he knows his stuff
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
How would i describe Ska in a single sentence?

Erm, let's see...

"White boys can't play Ska"

Get out.

God, I'm so fed up with the elitist attitude of people on this forum... everyone thinks they're cool because they like first/second wave ska, and bash the third wave.

I'LL reccomend some third wave seeing as everyone else is just far too cool to.

Try...
Reel Big Fish - Favourite Noise
Planet Smashers - Life of the Party/ Mighty
Mad Caddies - Duck and Cover/Just One More
Bedouin Soundclash - Sounding a Mosaic/Root Fire/Street Gospels
Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview
Sublime - Self Titled/40z to Freedom
RX Bandits - Halfway Between Here and There/Progress/...and the Battle Begun
Catch22 - Keasby Nights
Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

... they're most of the big ska bands. There's also Big D and the Kids Table, who I don't really like but are worth checking out, same goes for the Aquabats, and the Voodoo Glow Skulls... that'll do for now.
^You know Brian probably was joking? Some people take things way to seriously.
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Sep 18, 2007,
yeah but this thread has been done way to much

come on people use the search
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
first ska band I ever saw/heard was ledd than jake at warped tour
I dont recall too much of the set but i took down a 6ft odd skinhead. (i'm 5'0)

it was gold.