Hello,

I had just gotten back my 98 Fender American Tele from a friend who I'd lent it to for a 6 month tour. When I got it back, I obviously discovered that my finished was sanded off and apparently painted onto with Acrylic (sp) paint!

When I played it, it didn't seem to sound the same. I'm unsure if I am just trying to believe that my friend ruined my guitar or the paint actually did affect the sound. so..

can acrylic paint affect the sound of my tele? if so, what should i do?
The paint might affect your Tele a little bit, but it's more likely that the guitar needs to be set up properly.

If it was taken apart and put back together it may have serious issues. Take it in to the shop.
First off, KILL YOUR FRIEND!!
Hell is empty. All the devils are here. - William Shakespeare
ask him what he did?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Depending on the finish it will definitely change the tone especially on a fender because they have those super duper 1/8th inch thick finishes. Kick his ass.

Seriously if he was on a 6 month tour I'm sure he could have afforded his own. If I loaned someone my tele and it came back without a finish they would be ****ing done for.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by pmontgo
so what do i do about the guitar?

Tell your friend to buy you a new body from warmoth.com

Kick his ass too. But seriously kick his ass. I would kick his ass. He's gonna get an ass kicking. Kick his ass is what I would do.
I agree - that friend was way out of line to hose your tele like that especially without trying to reach you first and get your approval.

As for your guitar, if you love it that much get it a professional check up and re-setup.

If it still doesn't sound right, but good enough to keep...do whatever you want with it get that loser friend to pony up some cash to replace it with an axe of your choice.

Man...with friends like that you don't need enemies...even if I divorced my wife and left her for another women she wouldn't *uck with my guitars like that.

Good luck
Bad friend. He will burn in Hell. Check the serial number and make sure its the same guitar.
I have a 98 California series tele and they have super thick finishes. It was no accident that's for sure. It must have taken him days to sand through it. If the finish was as thick as mine then it definitely changed you tone.
what's used for these finishes? i may have some. my dad is a wood wooker