Page 1 of 2
Hey all, I'm looking into some Seymour Duncan '59s (SH-1 and TB59-1b). Or MAYBE JB's, but the description for the 59's sounds more my style.

What I'd like to know it, are they bassy? Like, I like a good balance between the bass and treble. I like to really FEEL the deep sound right in my core though, so it needs to be somewhat bassy, while still being able to take the high tones.

Currently my neck pickup is fine and bassy enough, but the bridge is way too trebly, you loose a lot of that "oomph."

I play classic rock, hard rock, alternative, metal and blues. Everything from Chuck Berry to REd Hot Chili Peppers to Pantera, Motley Crue, etc. I play almost anything.

Thanks a bunch
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
well the jb is extremely trebly (IMO), and i'd say the '59 (neck version, i haven't tried the bridge version) is quite bright, but nowhere near as bad as the jb.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Only thing you have to know about duncans is that they sound like trebley crap.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by ECistheBest
^ur opinion is heavily biased.

That was a fact, not an opinion.
only trebly crap they have are the JBs, Dimebuckers, Livewires, those lines of pickups. the '59 model is pretty good. Pearly Gates emphasizes not on the harsh treble frequency, but more of the high mids to make it bright. And i don't think you can say "trebly crap" for the Alnico II Pro. Those are warm as hell.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael
The '59 is a good kind of bright. Like if you wanted to brighten up your LP's neck position, you'd grab a '59. The JB is like...piercing, without using 250K pots, that is.

You seem to want a warmer bridge pickup...I'd check out the SH-11 Custom Custom. It'll warm it up a bit.

yep, i know what you mean. i talk in terms of "good bright" and "bad bright" too, lol. the miracle man, or '59, is "good bright", while the jb is "bad bright". IMO.

I actually thought the custom custom was quite bright too, but i do like warm tones, and it's not as bright as a jb that's for sure.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep, i know what you mean. i talk in terms of "good bright" and "bad bright" too, lol. the miracle man, or '59, is "good bright", while the jb is "bad bright". IMO.

I actually thought the custom custom was quite bright too, but i do like warm tones, and it's not as bright as a jb that's for sure.

Yeah, the custom custom is brighter than, say, a Breed, but it's good for warming up bright bridge positions.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, it was an opinion. Please state your reasoning and support, sir.

My reasoning and support is I've played duncans and they sound like finger nails grinding on a chalkboard.
^which duncans? dimebuckers and livewires sound like that. and you're not supposed to play these pickups ('59s and PGs) through an amp with mids at 0.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^which duncans? dimebuckers and livewires sound like that. and you're not supposed to play these pickups ('59s and PGs) through an amp with mids at 0.

Pearly gates sounded shrill too and I crank my mids. It was in my friends guitar and he sold it after he got his dimarzios for his Ibanez in.
i'd love a Pearly Gates in a Les Paul playing ZZ Top and stuff... but not in an Ibanez playing metal... it would probably sound shrill with high gain.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i'd love a Pearly Gates in a Les Paul playing ZZ Top and stuff... but not in an Ibanez playing metal... it would probably sound shrill with high gain.

Did you know I can play clean on my Ibanez? There isn't a ****ing distortion box built into this guitar.
no duh. i'm just saying if you advertise "Dragonforce is the hardest metal known to man", then i would assume you play with their sound. there's nothing wrong with that. but i don't know what you're comparing the Pearly Gates to. It sounded great on my friend's Les Paul. It can get really gritty. but i mean gritty in a classic rock way. not dragonforce heavy metal ****.

with the right amp, you can do a lot with a pickup. but with a wrong amp it might be difficult to achieve the sound you're looking for.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Only thing you have to know about duncans is that they sound like trebley crap.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE

No, it was an opinion.

An opinion of a mong.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE

i do not think that word means, what you think it means.

sorry, depends on guitar, amp, settings, and player.

thread starter that goes for you too. what amp and guitar are you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have the JB and 59 combo in a mahogany body guitar..... Hard to tell how they would sound in a "brighter wood" guitar....but I have no complaints at all. I have some ibanez stuff and especially the powersound pickups HARDLY carry tone like duncans. Very very shrill, edgy and bright. Not a lot of "thunk" or "pop" for single note leads or rhythms. Some are smoother....but not as much drive(keep in mind I havent played them all). Got a superrock 2 equipped schecter, an old peavey, and various others. The duncan combo is the bassiest pickup combo I have right now. Yes.....they have highs, but they arent real piercing....pretty smooth in my option. Plus, thats what the treble knob is for.

Removing a frequency thats naturally there is much more natural than boosting a frequency that doesnt exist......thats artificial. The pickups are well balanced and have more than enough highs if you need em. Tight lows and great mids too. The highs do not bother me at all when playing through my mesa triple recto and 4X12 cab. They might be a little sharper on a small combo for example. Good thick attack. If the brights are too much...turn them out a little. They do NOT lack bass though, and this appears to be your query(I have more probs controlling the amt of bass than I do highs. Others may have more.....but these dont lack.....and have more than any pickup I currently own.
To hear what can be done with a pretty bare bones computer home studio, minimal cash and lots of time.....visit http://myspace.com/redlightcrisis I play the guitar on the tracks and take care of recording duties.
Alright well I can get a good bass off my amp. And it's no brand name...my uncle restored it...I have no idea where it came from. I like the amp. That's all I need to say.

The guitar is a Vantage Entertainer...hey, I got it for free, so I'm not about to complain.
And like I said, I want a good versatile tone, something that won't leave me hanging for the highs or lows. Something that has good cleans and can handle distortion. I don't play a lot of metal, I'm just into it and venture into it on my own, but my band is stuff from clean to nothing a lot heavier than say Iron Maiden. Somewhere around there...I'm a metalhead who plays everything.

If you have recommendations other than the Duncans please, do tell. I've just heard a lot of good things is all.

whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by ECistheBest
i've discovered a cool one right here:
www.highorderpickups.com

take a look.

+1

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^i have to credit him for that link. yes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I hear lots of hate for the JB, pitty since i really enjoy it.

I have the JB, Jazz combo in my C-1 Classic. Im suprised to hear everyone say the JB is soo trebly (i actually smell some bandwagoning) since the Jazz pickup in my neck is super trebly IMO, it pierces a ton and has too much "pop", i always have to roll down the tone knob with it.

Maybe everyone is expecting the JB to act like a modern metal pickup with tons of bass... That is not the case of course and there is a lot of treble in it, i play lots of alternative, 80s trash metal and some ocassional pop-punk and indie and the JB is great on all those styles, yet most of those styles require more treble then your average nu metal band.

I think its biggest downfall is its lack of nice cleans, it does not clean up perfectly. Lucky me i got coil tapping and it cleans up great.
Quote by Chinomaster182
Maybe everyone is expecting the JB to act like a modern metal pickup with tons of bass... That is not the case of course and there is a lot of treble in it, i play lots of alternative, 80s trash metal and some ocassional pop-punk and indie and the JB is great on all those styles, yet most of those styles require more treble then your average nu metal band.

no. we think it's too bright and way too edgy.
Quote by Chinomaster182
I think its biggest downfall is its lack of nice cleans, it does not clean up perfectly. Lucky me i got coil tapping and it cleans up great.

thats only you. maybe people can't install coil splitting? (split would be better in this case to use just a single coil.)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Chinomaster182
I have the JB, Jazz combo in my C-1 Classic. Im suprised to hear everyone say the JB is soo trebly (i actually smell some bandwagoning) since the Jazz pickup in my neck is super trebly IMO, it pierces a ton and has too much "pop", i always have to roll down the tone knob with it.

My Jazz is actually pretty warm. I put it in parallel wiring a lot of the time, to get a brighter tone..
i think people forget about polepieces over the jb. its actually quite capable of sounding very fat. its a great pickup.
Quote by forsaknazrael
My Jazz is actually pretty warm.

i agree
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TehJermie
i think people forget about polepieces over the jb. its actually quite capable of sounding very fat. its a great pickup.

Teh dude is right. setting up ur guitar, putting bass poles higher lowering the treble poles, is very important.

the Jazz is very warm.

i also like dimarzio, depends on which one tho.

is ur guitar a semi hollow? im not too familiar with vantage. a lighter wood might make it a little harder to get a deeper sound. if that's the case, suggest you raise the bass side of your pickups. especially the neck pup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

sorry it wont let me edit this part in, but i was also going to add thaT raising the mids, lowering the treble side will help that fizzy bridge pup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It's a solidbody...les paul doublecut ripoff. Pretty heavy, I'm gonna take a guess that it's a mahogany body and maybe with a maple top. Can't be sure though...would it help if I added a pic or two?

You're welcome
nah that's fine. i just wanted to make sure it wasnt a semi hollow. cause that will change the tone completely.

when i tried to search vantage, all i could find were guitars with f holes.

i think ull, be ok with almost any of the pups brought up here. jazz are mellow. dimarzio tone zone is like a jb except more well rounded. look at the pairings they have on their website. alot of it is just fine tuning.

with the right amp, a step up from stock pickups is very noticable.

in addition, sometimes the right pedal can get you the rest of the way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by TehJermie

I dunno.

I've had the pole pieces at ridiculous extremes, and I still couldn't really find a tone that I like (I like my tone really warm though).

The only tone that I like out of my JB is if it's in the middle position with the '59.

*shrug*

Different folks, different strokes.
Quote by utsapp89
You guys think the jazz is warm? Maybe GC did a switcheroo on me and i got some different pups or maybe its the height and pole adjustment (i have not touched the pickups at all since i bought the guitar). I've been wanting to check on the back if i do indeed have real seymours since i started reading the JB is this super trebly pickup.

I also know im selecting the correct pickups for bridge and neck (im not a dumbass and i doubled checked the schematics on schecters website just to be sure).

But if everything is in order i just have to disagree, i think the Jazz is very trebley in most situation (when i add fuzz it gets much warmer) and the JB is pretty nice the majority of the times.
^ Maybe they switched them around or something? What you're experiencing may have something to do with your rig though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
not sure what's going on wt ur setup, maybe adjust the pole pieces, and put the basss side higher. unsure? just ask.

my jazz is in my schecter c1+^ not sure how u'd call that trebly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 2