Waiting in the sky!

I love David Bowie's work on Aladdin Sane and Ziggy Stardust, but I don't own anything else.

How much do you rate his significance to punk?
i think that without him and other glam bands we wouldn't have punk.

David Bowie is a mother****ing god. like, Hold On To Yourself from Ziggy Stardust is so full of awsome and punkness its so cool.

but its more Bowie+Ronson that is punk, not just Bowie.
Bowie is very significant in the punk rock world.

Hell, he even wrote all the songs on Iggy Pop's only two good solo albums...
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Bowie is very significant in the punk rock world.

Hell, he even wrote all the songs on Iggy Pop's only two good solo albums...

You got that right.
Awesome music. Plus I like to insult the kids who think Man who sold the world was written by Kurt Cobain.

No. Just no.
Quote by DanRev
Awesome music. Plus I like to insult the kids who think Man who sold the world was written by Kurt Cobain.

No. Just no.

oh god i smash their heads in with crowbars.

even tho i ****ing love Nirvana and Kurt, but still.
Did you know that David Bowie grew up down the road from where I used to live?

With a 30 year gap, obviously.
I never particularly liked Bowie, despite liking a lot of other glam (Slade, Mott and T-Rex are great). Not sure why...
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by original=punk
i think that without him and other glam bands we wouldn't have punk.

David Bowie is a mother****ing god. like, Hold On To Yourself from Ziggy Stardust is so full of awsome and punkness its so cool.

but its more Bowie+Ronson that is punk, not just Bowie.

Yeah that song pretty much set the template for punk in the UK. It still stands up against any punk song.

Bowie is just a genius songwriter, but I'd probably take Bolan and T.Rex over him. Bowie was definitely a more proficient songwriter, but Bolan just tops it as far as consistency and pure rock n roll campness goes. Both definitely had an influence on punk and Eater did some wicked Bowie and T-rex covers.
I don't like Mott.

The Sweet are my favourite. The best song is "Little Willy", and we're gonna do a Kittens version so it's about dicks by singing it in dirty voices.

Also - I found out the other day that Bolan had an Elvis phase. Like most people, I assumed that he died when he was still good, but he actually died after his songs dried up and he was really fat.
Quote by radio_schizo
Yeah that song pretty much set the template for punk in the UK. It still stands up against any punk song.

Bowie is just a genius songwriter, but I'd probably take Bolan and T.Rex over him. Bowie was definitely a more proficient songwriter, but Bolan just tops it as far as consistency and pure rock n roll campness goes. Both definitely had an influence on punk and Eater did some wicked Bowie and T-rex covers.

yeah i odnt know many t-rex songs *limewires*
I got a 2cd set of Bolan stuff the other week, it's not consistently great.

Some songs, like Metal Guru are timeless classics. And this glam rock craze is full of cool instruments, like Violins and the like.
David Bowie is my all time favorite. I'm glad to see this forum appreciates him and his influence, as to me (and not some people I know) his influence on punk is just so obvious.

Diamond Dogs is also a brilliant album, if you're looking. The title track is pretty much a proto punk song, and the rest is just gnarly as hell, regardless of genre.
DOWN&OUT