I've had this old Squier '51 for about a year and a half and I'm getting bored of it. I just purchased a new acoustic and I don't want to buy another electric(I could never justify that). So I was wondering what kind of things would need to happen to make my Squier a decent metal guitar. I have a feeling that the elctronics, pickups and hardware are junk, that's just a start.
I thought Squiers were already hardcore
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
What kind of metal are we talkin' here? Name some bands.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
As I Lay Dying, new metal type sound. I'm a nub and all I can think of is dropping better pickups in it.
Open up the plastic case on the front (or back) of ur guitar, u will see a whole bunch of electric circuitry and devices. Get rid of all of them and wire up the circuitry with a set of new devices and get metal pickups. that might work to some extent.
Might work "to an extent". I want it to work...period. :P

Put I am planning to get some repair bible soon, so maybe it'd be a good project.
Right, replace the pots + pickups, tuners, hardware, revamp it completely - 51s are great guitars for the price and awesome for upgrading.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
you might want to look into GFS. Guitarfetish.com has everything you will need to pimp out a squier. If it has a 2-point tremolo, you might want to look at getting an old used Kahler Traditional tremolo. Install that, it should fit the 2-point. Then get an over the nut string lock. that will basically give you a floyd rose-ish setup. GFS sells wired pickguards with some hot pickups, you can get one of those and its basically a drop-in for like 30-40 bucks.
D-sonic bridge / Air Norton S neck for pickups. Get some new 500k pots and a new switch.
I'm getting excited, I'm going to start chopping this thing up now. :>

Simply taking off the strings and opening it up.
I'm confused...I see these pre-wired pickguards at guitarfetish.com, then I look at my Squier 51 and it seems its drilled for a humbucker and a single coil. It makes sense that I can't get a wired double humbucker pickguard for my squier. Am I missing something?
Smash it into the ground repetatively, thats as metal as you will get a squier....

On a serious note... to turn a squier into a metal guitar would just cost as much as buying a new guita.
Quote by Radagascar
I'm confused...I see these pre-wired pickguards at guitarfetish.com, then I look at my Squier 51 and it seems its drilled for a humbucker and a single coil. It makes sense that I can't get a wired double humbucker pickguard for my squier. Am I missing something?

Well, nobody's really tapped the Squier mod market.

You could get a custom pickguard made and rout out the body.

Or just get a humbucker in single size, pop that in the neck, a higher output humbucker for the bridge, and some 500K pots.

And better tuners, too.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by Radagascar
I'm getting excited, I'm going to start chopping this thing up now. :>

Simply taking off the strings and opening it up.
If you live in the US and near a decent sized city then you should watch Craigslist. You would be better off finding a guitar designed for what you want then hacking the one you have.
I never use this thing, but I'd like to do something semi cool with it, coolest thing I could think of would be to turn it into something suitable for metal.
Quote by Radagascar
I never use this thing, but I'd like to do something semi cool with it, coolest thing I could think of would be to turn it into something suitable for metal.

Just throw some new pick ups in it.
I'm going to have to wait a while til I buy the repair bible or something...this stuff has me confused to the max. I don't even know how to put new pickups in...it seems complicated, but I don't think it is.
It's really not.

Check out ProjectGuitar.com

They've got some really good tutorials on this sort of thing.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
At first I didn't get it either. Just read around.
Quote by Radagascar
I bought my Schecter C1 off Craigslist for $150. I'm pretty sure it would run circles around your 51 as a metal guitar. Combine that with the 51's being out of production and desirable and I'd wonder why you'd hack it up for this purpose. However if you simply want to replace the bridge pup, that is a simple job.
You're a lucky man to get a guitar like that for that cheap...If it were as easy as hopping on craigslist and getting something like that I would...
Your squier might already be wired for HSH configuration, so it might be simple as new pickups, new pickguard, and maybe some new tuners for good measure.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
The Squier 51 is made of Basswood, routed for H (bridge) with a coil split and SC (neck) and the bridge is a top loader, not stringthrough ... Strat body with a Tele neck.

There's a whole forum dedicated to it and there are Squier 51 fanatics on the Fender forum. As mentioned earlier, it's an excellent platform for modding ... specially if you bought them at GC's clearance sale for $70.