ok im into like 80s metal (Metallica, iron maiden, Megadeth) and i wanted to know if i buy a new guitar, what type should i get to get a good sound, but not paying like 1000 dollars for it? something with a whammy bar in it..
ibanez rg tremolo guitar.maybe rg5ex1 or rg350mdx.around 350 dollar guitars.
Last edited by athlete1 at Sep 17, 2007,
kirk from metallica uses one
Last edited by athlete1 at Sep 17, 2007,
Quote by athlete1
kirk from metallica uses one

wrong. hammett uses esp's.
i agree with the ibanezes though. classic metal guitars. hamers, kramers, esps, anything in the super-strat style is a great metal guitar, but typically they're versatile for other stuff too.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
kirk uses esp's as far as i know... unless he's switched brands again. i'd look at the H series by esp/ltd or the MH series.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
In the concert from live **** binge and purge. there he uses an ibanez but he also smash it later.
Kirk has used Ibanez live, and has a sig model. His main guitas are ESP and sometimes he will use a gibson. As for what your looking for, look at the lower end esp's.
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
a used ltd would be my suggestion. think you can get a decent one with 500 dollars
um i would like a V shape or and X shape (i think thats the Xplorer but im not good wit guitars just started really)
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
hammett has no signature ibanez guitar. his signature guitar is an esp kh-2:
http://www.music123.com/ESP-KH-2-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-Electric-Guitar-516581-i1148999.Music123

or look at esp's own web site. click "guitars" and note the first two that show up:
http://www.espguitars.com/

there's no rule that once someone is endorsed by a company they cannot play any other guitar. no real guitarist would ever sign a contract like that. so, i don't doubt hammett plays an ibanez or a gibson. he's just not endorsed by them, nor does he have a signature model with either company. even more proof he doesn't endorse ibanez:
http://www.ibanez.com/artists/

if you find his name there, i'm blind and firefox's search function doesn't work.
gear?

Quote by MetallicSoul92

the GRX series of ibanez guitars are the bottom of the line. i wouldn't recommend them to anyone. find something in the RG or S series, you'll be happier in the long run.
gear?

^The edit button is your friend.

I like the S series though, I'm thinking about getting one myself. Plus the trem is spectacular.
Anyway I think you might be better off getting a new amp, Squier Teles aren't all that bad, but Spiders
I managed to sell mine a few days ago, after it'd been on Craigslist for two weeks.
I'm with pink on this ^^, with a good amp you can get a damn good sound from a squier tele (for what it is). with your budget you could get a better amp. look at the roland cube and Vox valvetronix. and possibly some lower-end valve amps.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

i third pink on this one.
gear?

... but all i need is like some guitar with a whammy bar. This one doesnt come with one. i like the sound of it dont get me wrong but ... i ....want...whammy......
Quote by MetallicSoul92
... but all i need is like some guitar with a whammy bar. This one doesnt come with one. i like the sound of it dont get me wrong but ... i ....want...whammy......

the S has a floyd rose. and the RG has a floyd rose.

and they are great guitars that will last you a long time, unlike a $150 piece of crap that will make your guitar go out of tune every time you use the whammy bar. think of it as an investment in your future instead just a stepping stone to get you to your next stage of your playing, where you will outgrow the crappy guitar.
gear?

Quote by MetallicSoul92
ooo so i play on the tele till i get better than the tele?

no.

not at all.

you don't want to spend $150 on a cheapo ibanez grx just because it has a tremolo bar. the rest of the guitar sucks. and the trem, for that matter, sucks. you'll realize after a short amount of time of practice (a year or two) that you should have gone with a better guitar.

spend a bit more, get a nice S like the one you had posted (which HAS a floyd rose). or an RG. get a quality guitar that will still be a quality guitar 10 years from now. you'll be happier, the floyd or whatever kind of trem a nicer guitar has will have a nicer trem that will stay in tune better. you'll have to do less maintenance.

the grx will have dead frets in at most 2 years. the trem will put you out of tune every time you use it. you don't want that, do you?
gear?

ESP, Dean & Jackson are all great for metal, I'm not a huge Ibanez fan, but they do make some nice guitars. If you want to go crazy with the whammy, go for something with a floating Floyd Rose.
Dean From Hell
Jackson USA King V
Randall RG-50 TC All Tube Combo
well you can put one on your tele, but it will require routing, etc.
basically not worth it and to the guy that said to get the low end rg's, just dont, well at least if its the edge lll.
and the ibanez s series has the zr trem not a floyd rose
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1