where can i get a good tube amp kit? im looking for 20 watts and up... probly a head. are the instructions with this easy to follow? im a begginger. is it cheaper to build then buy?
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Weber makes some kits, but i dont recommend it if you have no experience
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Clicky
this looks pretty good, but they're not cheap, and it is only the power amp section
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
my dad is an electrician so he could help me.
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Quote by garrett7
my dad is an electrician so he could help me.

So is my Mom's boyfriend, but I don't choose to ask for help in the actual building, because then I didn't technically build it 100%. I only ask him questions about Ohms, Wattage, etc. He gives me information, I apply it. It's not that hard to research the stuff and put your own kits together. If they can, why can't you?
Weber
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Do not do it if it's your first try. Seriously. Start with simple stuff like simple booster pedals and work up... I guarantee if you're unexperienced you will screw it up royally.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
whats a good project to start with? that i could get a kit for.
Quote by Roc8995
how many watts is the 5E3x2 head from webber? it says it in the middle (not super hard and not easy)
Quote by Roc8995
Quote by Invader Jim
Dude, if you screw up a tube amp kit, you could DIE. Start small. Baby steps.

Couldn't agree more. The kit that McWoot suggested is just a general-use power amp though, not designed for guitar use. You probably wouldn't be satisfied with the results.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Couldn't agree more. The kit that McWoot suggested is just a general-use power amp though, not designed for guitar use. You probably wouldn't be satisfied with the results.

agreed, but it had the right frequency response, plus it's incredibly easy to bias and not kill yourself on because of the LED indicators (bias and high voltage), and would be a pretty good amplifier project to do, especially if you were to design and build the preamp yourself (preamps aren't really that hard to do...) + that's probably a little advanced for a 1st project!
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^ You could use it for a guitar amp, but you'd get little to no overdrive/distortion. Plus, it's a hundred watts which is pretty much overkill.