im in the market to get a new guitar with a floyd rose preferably. i currently looking at the ibanez rg350dx and rg370dx, and maybe the rg350mdx. is there really any difference between them besides cosmetic differences? is there another i could get that is hopefully under $350? thanks.
Do not buy any guitar with a floating trem that is priced below $500, and even after that check for user feedback. A cheap floating trem will not stay in tune, will wear out very quickly, and in general drive you nuts.
Those guitars all have Edge IIIs which is a bad trem. It will stay in tune and work well for around three months, then it wears out and goes out of tune every time you touch it. If you want a guitar with a good trem, save up for a used RG550 or a Prestige, or a Saber.

Also, if you don't mind drilling your guitar a little bit, you can replace an Edge III with an OFR, but that alone will set you back a good $200.
Take a look on the site of ibanez, avoid Edge III and look for a ZR trem or an edge pro. You're on a budget you might as well take a look at the S470, very good guitar
Don't forget your old friends the original edge and the lo pro edge.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by uldhppi
Do not buy any guitar with a floating trem that is priced below $500, and even after that check for user feedback. A cheap floating trem will not stay in tune, will wear out very quickly, and in general drive you nuts.

agreed wholeheartedly.

Quote by NightFang
is it really that bad? i thought the locking nut prevented that?

not when it (and the trem's knife edges) are made of tin-foil.

the s320/470 is probably the cheapest guitar you can get with a known decent trem. though be advised it feels a little different to a floyd.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get a used RG570.

Good Ibanez trems
Edge, Lo pro, edge pro, ZR, pro rocker,

poor trems
Edge II, edge III, edge pro II, 7 string zr with ZPS bar.
will i regret buying one of those guitars down the line that much? i mean i can re tune it every couple months if thats the only problem. but if your saying it stays out of tune for good then i dont know
Quote by NightFang
i mean i can re tune it every couple months if thats the only problem.
Do you care to retune it every time you touch the trem bar? Because that's how often you'd have to do it with a busted Edge III, literally.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
i've had my Edge III a year...it holds perfect tune with regular abuse, i really think they might have fixed the newer ones like it's been said, i'm not defending it just because it's my guitar, by all means, if it was crap, i'd tell you, i don't want another dude getting screwed over because of my mistakes, but i've loved my RG to death, and it has an Edge III, it holds perfect tune, if you like the feel of those guitars, go for it, MAKE SURE they are an '06 or an '07 model, because mine is and it's fine
yea i love the feel of my rg321, and since it has the same type of neck it will be the best of both worlds!
Quote by Chad11491
i've had my Edge III a year...it holds perfect tune with regular abuse, i really think they might have fixed the newer ones like it's been said, i'm not defending it just because it's my guitar, by all means, if it was crap, i'd tell you, i don't want another dude getting screwed over because of my mistakes, but i've loved my RG to death, and it has an Edge III, it holds perfect tune, if you like the feel of those guitars, go for it, MAKE SURE they are an '06 or an '07 model, because mine is and it's fine

How often you use your trem?
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
What if I use the trem sparingly and if it start losing tuning stability,I block it?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
What if I use the trem sparingly and if it start losing tuning stability,I block it?

Then whats the point of getting the trem in the first place? You're better off getting a hardtail which would give you more sustain and tuning stability. And besides, even if you do block it, you still wouldn't get much sustain.

The most affordable guitar with a good trem is the S470, as everyone has already stated. Either go with that or save up for a Prestige if you want an RG, they come with Edge Pro trems. You could also look on ebay for used a RG550 or RG570.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by Chad11491

i appreciate what you're saying, and I know you'd want to warn someone else from being screwed, but a year still isn't all that long. I mean, if yours hasn't seen just as heavy use as others, maybe you're slightly better at setting yours up so it minimises knife edge wear, etc., but at the end of the day the whole point of the edge III and other similar low-cost trems is to fail. Ibanez wants it to fail, as they then hope you'll buy a 1570 to replace it (that's also why the routing sizes are different between the cheapo and "good" trems).

So yeah, i appreciate what you're saying, and by most accounts they're better than the lo-trs (mine lasted about 3 months), but if they were truly as good as an edge pro or original edge, they'd be putting the edge III on the prestige and j-custom lines, and to be honest, that has to be the bottom line. You're taking a major risk with the edge III, basically.

Quote by fatboythin
Then whats the point of getting the trem in the first place? You're better off getting a hardtail which would give you more sustain and tuning stability. And besides, even if you do block it, you still wouldn't get much sustain.

Agreed, not to mention that a locking trem takes more time to set up, change tunings, restring, etc., etc. You're getting all the bad points of a locking trem with none of the good if you have to block it, or if you buy one which won't stay in tune.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Broken-pick

basically if you don't think you'll use the trem all that much you probably don't need a locking trem in the first place...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea agreed with all of your comments. No point getting a trem if your not using it. I myself planning on getting a 24 fret with a trem guitar especially for metal but I want one which would last.

So you guys are saying that the s470 is good? How about the new s320? Its cheaper though and has the same ZR bridge but I wonder about the quality compared to the s470 or there's no difference?
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
They're both basically almost the same guitar. Either of them would be good choices. Just an early reminder though, the S series only have 22 frets, not the 24 frets you want.
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by areola
Yea agreed with all of your comments. No point getting a trem if your not using it. I myself planning on getting a 24 fret with a trem guitar especially for metal but I want one which would last.

So you guys are saying that the s470 is good? How about the new s320? Its cheaper though and has the same ZR bridge but I wonder about the quality compared to the s470 or there's no difference?

i'm not sure, i've only tried the 470. i'd assume the quality is similar, just it doesn't have the middle single coil, but you'd need to try it to be sure. EDIT: they aren't as nice as the prestige rg's, but because they have a decent trem, they make decent guitars for cheap. the fatal flaw in the cheaper rg's is the trem. with that fixed (as it is on the s series), they make a viable option on a budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Yeap, the dreaded Edge III is what stopping me from buying RGs and a Prestige is waaayy out of my budget. I m just waiting for them to improve it. I considered getting a Jackson Dinky though but I m a loyal Ibanez fan.

I guess my current target is the s470.
My Gear:

Yes, I am a simple guy.
^ also consider an amp upgrade if you're buying a new guitar...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ also consider an amp upgrade if you're buying a new guitar...

+2

That amp won't do your guitars any justice. Better start looking for a decent tube amp, you'll notice a HUGE difference n tone.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by which ones pink
Those guitars all have Edge IIIs which is a bad trem. It will stay in tune and work well for around three months, then it wears out and goes out of tune every time you touch it.

this is the trem that I have and I have yet to have one problem with it. maybe you just have to know how to set it up. I use the **** out of mine at the beginning of 4 hr gigs and it's still in tune at the end. I've also had it for about three years too.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
I have heard about the hit and miss issues on Ibanezes. Their quality control isn't consistent.

And yes, I do plan to get an amp before the guitar. Hehe.
My Gear:

Yes, I am a simple guy.