So I've been looking around for a new laptop and the main differing thing appears to be the processors.

I know dual core CPUs are meant to be better, but this is only if a program is written for 2 processors. So my question is what would be better, a dual core laptop with say 2 1.6 or 1.86 GHz processors or a single core with a 2.2Ghz processor?

I will be running XP if can help it, and I know vista is a 64 bit OS and may benifit from having 2 cores but XP will run faster on a lower spec PC.

I am looking at 1GB of RAM and a ATI Go 1300 graphics card (which is shared I think) with a 120GB HD.

Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
get dual core, they're better, and get a macbook, you wont be disapointed
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Dual cores, at the moment, are optimized for multi-tasking. Instead of one processor giving out time slices for each process being run on it, you have two of them now. If you plan on getting Vista, it has a lot of fine details that requires more processing power, so a dual core processor with more memory would be optimal. If you're going to be doing not-so-much multi-tasking and just running one program, and you want to do it FAST, you should go for a Pentium 4, which runs at 3.6GHz or something like that.

And there are no commercial products that utilize both cores, i.e. parallel programming. That is yet to come. Soon, I hope.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Programs that are written for two processors? I doubt it. Dual-core just utilises both cores for quicker and more fluid application handling.

Dual is better.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by BonnyTylerMoore
Get dual. Vista is only 64 bit if you buy the 64 bit version. If you get vista, get at least 2gb RAM.

that's not actually true. ur probably thinking of OSX. vista comes in 32 and 64 bit. get 32 bit. nothing works properly on 64. and absolutely get a dual core. single core is old and sooooo much slower . as for RAM, it depends on what you plan on doing. for me, i need 2GB because i'm what's considered a power user. but if you dont plan on doing much more than listening to music and surfing the net with a game thrown in here and there, 1GB should be fine. if you've got any more computer questions, let me know. i know ALOT on the subject :-). and i dont just pretend to either. i actually do :-P
Ltd EC-400
Ibanez GRX40
Yamaha FD02
M-Audio Black Box
Marshall MG15CDR
Dual.

I think the newer games now, (or maybe games that are still in production) are starting to make use of both cores.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
get dual core, they're better, and get a macbook, you wont be disapointed

Never a truer word said.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I cant afford a mac, and every program that i use on my courses is in windows.

Im gonna stick with XP, and will upgrade the RAM to 2GB eventually.
This laptop is gonna be for doing work n probably listening to music and web browsing all at the same time so I guess i was right in thinking dual core is better.

Next question: AMD or Intel?

I have only ever used intel CPUs (Pentium 4 3.0GHz in my current machine) and I see lots of laptops with AMD Turion 64 X2 equipped (the model im looking at runs at 1.6GHz a core) and Intel Core Duo and Core 2 Duo (another possabilty runs Core Duo at 1.86GHz a core. AMDs were faster when they first came out but is this still the way things are?
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
I cant afford a mac, and every program that i use on my courses is in windows.

Im gonna stick with XP, and will upgrade the RAM to 2GB eventually.
This laptop is gonna be for doing work n probably listening to music and web browsing all at the same time so I guess i was right in thinking dual core is better.

Next question: AMD or Intel?

I have only ever used intel CPUs (Pentium 4 3.0GHz in my current machine) and I see lots of laptops with AMD Turion 64 X2 equipped (the model im looking at runs at 1.6GHz a core) and Intel Core Duo and Core 2 Duo (another possabilty runs Core Duo at 1.86GHz a core. AMDs were faster when they first came out but is this still the way things are?

Intel all the way!! and make sure it's a core 2 duo. the other ones aren't as good and AMD is not near the performance of the Core 2. so don't even bother with the Athlons and Turions. they're nowhere near as good
Ltd EC-400
Ibanez GRX40
Yamaha FD02
M-Audio Black Box
Marshall MG15CDR
Well, whats better? 1 chicken drumstick, or 2 chicken drumsticks? 1 is full of flavor, but with 2 you can get more of it! And 2 chicken drumsticks can hold WAY more gravy then 1 chicken drumstick.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by ChaoticVengence
get dual core, they're better, and don't get a macbook, you will be disapointed

Ah, much better.
dual core...i have a feeling single core will be obsolete starting around the end of this year. heck, dual core's days are numbered with quad core and all.
*removed*
i heard putting xp on a vista machine is not only an arse, but voids the warranty
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by _Buxton_
dual core...i have a feeling single core will be obsolete starting around the end of this year. heck, dual core's days are numbered with quad core and all.

very true. intel is planning a new chip with 8-16 cores depending on the version. and that's not even mentioning their prototype 88 core cpu :-D
Ltd EC-400
Ibanez GRX40
Yamaha FD02
M-Audio Black Box
Marshall MG15CDR
Quote by Captain Insano
Ah, much better.

Agreed.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
It doesn't really improve speed noticeably when you don't have programs that can run instructions on all of the available cores.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Smokey Amp
Programs that are written for two processors? I doubt it. Dual-core just utilises both cores for quicker and more fluid application handling.

Dual is better.

Not sure about programs, but games are beginning to be. Get a dual core - even if you feel you aren't making use of it when you get it, you could do something cool like assign certain programs to one core, and others to another I.E - all games to one core and programs to another. You might not want to do that (I don't), but it's just an idea of what can be done.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i heard putting xp on a vista machine is not only an arse, but voids the warranty

as far as i know there is no such thing as a "vista machine"
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

So like as soon as XP is done installing, the computer turns into bum cheeks?