Okay, before i had a really bad cord. Bought a new cord today, got all excited abot it, and plugged in it the amp, plugged it in the bass, turned the amp on and the static was still there. So i turned off the amp, unplugged everything, and turned on the amp, no static. So it MUST be my bass. Any ideas what it is? I checked online [aka google] and it said that's i need to clean the pots with and eletronic cleaner [a spray-y thing] and that should fix it. Now before i go out and end up spending another $10 after i spent like $20 on the cord, i wanna know what you guys think it might be, that's easier than that, and is free. Or if there's a SAFE free way to clean the pots somehow. Thanks in advance.

P.S. - On the google thing, it led to Yahoo! Answers and the guy who had the static had a Dean Playmate bass. And so do i. Is this common among them?
Last edited by someperson at Sep 17, 2007,
the cleaning the pots applies only to static you get when turning the volume/tone knobs i think. but then again the yahoo thing sounds convincing, it could be your input jack is loose, in which case tighten/give it a wiggle.
but id agree with pot cleaning if you cant fix the problem, or take to a shop and ask em whats up with it they wont charge for something so measly unless they take a look inside it in which case u run out the door after they're done.
Quote by AngerIsAGift06
the cleaning the pots applies only to static you get when turning the volume/tone knobs i think. but then again the yahoo thing sounds convincing, it could be your input jack is loose, in which case tighten/give it a wiggle.
but id agree with pot cleaning if you cant fix the problem, or take to a shop and ask em whats up with it they wont charge for something so measly unless they take a look inside it in which case u run out the door after they're done.

K. I'll try tightening the input first. Then go to a sore to check it out. And i totally would run out afterwords [if they start to charge me], but i'm clumsy as hell, and i just noticed a cracked dent right above the place where you put the cord in your bass. I almsot cried. =[
I have a feeling it's the knobs though. Cause when i **** with them, the static get's louder [as i increase them obviously] ut that could just be cause i'm basically making everything louder anyways. So yeah.
yeah i got that same thing with my squier strat but its something i learned to live with aaaages ago so it doesn't bother me.

but yeah you can easily open up your guitar to where the control knobs are have a look round for any gaps in the controls casing. apply the said $20 cleaner, whilst turning the control (so it gets spread around). and that should stop it from creating anymore friction/static.
I have the same problem with my Silvertone Revolver, I just bought a monster cable yesterday it it still buzzes really loud at random times.
could be just crappy pickups. what bass do you have?

also have you tried a different amp as well?
is there a tv or computer monitor on around your amp? If so turn it off and it might help.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
good point^^^ if all else fails you can get a noise gate pedal.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu