My band and I are preparing for our first show in about 2 weeks time and we have no idea where to even begin with preparation. We have our songs down pat and are really excited about playing but there's also a fear of the unknown and what exactly it'll be like up on stage. Any suggestions as to how to mentally prepare for your first show and what to expect?
I would just make sure you guys no the set list down pack, i went to a show and none of the bands knew what was next. And if you can, one day just have kids come and watch you guys. like 10 or so amount and play like 3 songs or something
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
I probably should have mentioned this gig is only going to be 4 songs long and is being played at the birthday party of our guitar player. We've spread the word around school and about 50 people are going to be there so it's not a big show. (We're all 16)
it doesn't matter if your show is for 5 or 5,000. make it good - people will talk, and you'll get more recognized for what you do.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
There is a forum for this I think, but:

Bring a spare everything. Batteries, strings, cables, plectrums etc.
Don't assume you'll have enough power sockets. Bring a couple of 4- or 6-ways.
Plan your entire show before hand, and run through your setlist in order, including what you do between songs. Plan what order you'll come on stage in (drums, bass, guitar, vocal).

I find it helpful to just ignore the crowd until you're in the swing of things. Audience interaction is important, but don't loose yourself staring out at the audience.

Don't worry about mistakes, just carry on with the song. If you grin and keep going, the audience will go with you. They aren't there to fastidiously point out every c0ck-up. They're there to have fun. Join them.

That's my two cents.

Edit: Okay, edit that as you will depending on the size of your audience, but take the general gist of each point.
this will prolly get moved to bandleading just as an FYI. my 2 cents is to go onstage relaxed (note: i said relaxed, not drunk, not mindblowingly stoned, not ripped to the gills on hallucinogens, just relaxed, chemical crutches = FTL) if you're all used to playing in front of other people then it should be no big deal. just make sure you talk to the crowd a little, introduce yourself and have fun and move around a little. if the crowd sees you getting into it, they in turn will get into it more.

as an addendum i think imo the vocalist should at some point in the set introduce your crowd to the band members and do this every show at first and ween off it over time once the regulars start coming and know who you guys are
Have self-confidence when you go up on stage. Even if you haven't prepared at all you just gotta think "We're the best", even if you deep down really know you aren't. You can't doubt yourself when you stand on stage. If you do, it'll most likely end up pretty bad. Self-confidende on stage is extremely important. Just a little piece of advice. Not the kind of advice you asked for I guess, but advice nonetheless.