Hi all. For School, I have to do a senior project, and I'm planning on building a guitar. However, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what I should be looking for or where I should be looking. can any of you shed some light on the subject? (I.E. what are the best materials to use, where should I look, etc.)
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Also, it depends on what you want to do yourself, are you planning on designing your own body shape and neck, or just buying a strat kit for example, painting it, and assembling?
Be prepared to spend about 350-400 dollars on materials to build a decent quality, fully functioning guitar. I've read a few articles on this subject, I remember reading about a skilled woodworker spending 450 dollars and alot of work to build a working Telecaster. If you have no idea where to start I suggest considering an alternative senior project...
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
If you're building from scratch, with no previous experience or tools, $400 may not be enough. Though you can considerably cut costs if you can borrow tools and are willing to settle for slightly lower-quality pickups and hardware.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
my pre-routed body blank from warmoth was $120
Alumitone pickups were $200 total
Gold Floyd Rose $200
Gold Tuners $70
pickguard $30
knobs and electroinics $50
paint, finish, sandpaper, tools $50
Still need to buy a neck, lol

That's just me though
Ok, I was planning on just buying the major parts from warmoth or something and then assembling it, not milling my own parts and such.

Oh yeah, what's this "guitarfetish stuff?"
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Last edited by Jaypack44 at Sep 18, 2007,
i think he means the bodys and necks for the guitar fetish clearout thing, and the pickups by them are supposed to be alright
http://store.guitarfetish.com/neandbofacl.html

i wish i would have bought one of these bodys i realised shipping to the uk isnt that expensive on them.

what type/model guitar were you planning on making ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I'm doing the same thing for my senior project. I'm buying a carvin kit, but only doing the bare essentials.