Does anybody else hate whenever people always say "So and so is better than so and so".

I might be guilty of this on some occasions, but I still do not like it. I was watching this video (which I have linked here before), and people say that Yundi Li is better, that his version is dull, etc. If you watch the video (especially after 3:00), it just seems like people lose sight of the fact that he obviously has undeniable talent as a musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY

Nonetheless, compositional talents are not quite as subjective as interpreting talents.

I see it here, too. I never listen to Metal, but I can imagine a conversation like this has taken place:

Threadstarter: Check out this Dimebag Darrell video. It was just released and the solo is amazing. *link*
Reply: Eh...Paul Gilbert can play circles around Dimebag.

Honestly, there are very few prolific composers today as talented on their instrument as Franz Liszt or Chopin, but does that mean other musicians music is not worth listening to.

I've seen what I'm saying here at this website, and oftenly, too. However I fear many people don't know what I'm talking about, but if you do, what are your thoughts?
Nearly everyone feels the same way. Obviously some musicians are better than others, like Carlos Santana and Steve Vai are obviously better than most kids sitting at home jamming to Green Day in their bedrooms. But it's what we see musicians play that's what we base our opinions on.
Personally, I enjoy heavy metal, Kirk Hammett is my favourite player but I'll say based on what I've seen them both play that Steve Vai is a better player.
I still listen to them both, but for all i know, Kirk Hammett could be a better player than Vai, maybe we've just never seen him play to his fullest potential.

Some people don't realise that what you see a musician play is not necassarily their limit. Until people realise this, those types of arguments will continue.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Nearly everyone feels the same way. Obviously some musicians are better than others, like Carlos Santana and Steve Vai are obviously better than most kids sitting at home jamming to Green Day in their bedrooms. But it's what we see musicians play that's what we base our opinions on.
Personally, I enjoy heavy metal, Kirk Hammett is my favourite player but I'll say based on what I've seen them both play that Steve Vai is a better player.
I still listen to them both, but for all i know, Kirk Hammett could be a better player than Vai, maybe we've just never seen him play to his fullest potential.

Some people don't realise that what you see a musician play is not necassarily their limit. Until people realise this, those types of arguments will continue.

you are doing it yourself in your reply

Music is like your balls..it is pointless to compare them to each other you should just be happy they are there.
Last edited by Gwizz at Sep 17, 2007,
Yes but he was making the point that people are going around saying that one person is inevitably better than the other, based on how much they like their music as opposed to ability and also what they've seen the person play, regradless of what they haven't seen.
I acknowledged that Kirk could be a better player and clearly stated that I was basing my judgement on what I had seen.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
self righteous teenage angst filled listmakers. let them get on with it.
Quote by The Madcap
Does anybody else hate whenever people always say "So and so is better than so and so".

I might be guilty of this on some occasions, but I still do not like it. I was watching this video (which I have linked here before), and people say that Yundi Li is better, that his version is dull, etc. If you watch the video (especially after 3:00), it just seems like people lose sight of the fact that he obviously has undeniable talent as a musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY

Nonetheless, compositional talents are not quite as subjective as interpreting talents.

I see it here, too. I never listen to Metal, but I can imagine a conversation like this has taken place:

Threadstarter: Check out this Dimebag Darrell video. It was just released and the solo is amazing. *link*
Reply: Eh...Paul Gilbert can play circles around Dimebag.

Honestly, there are very few prolific composers today as talented on their instrument as Franz Liszt or Chopin, but does that mean other musicians music is not worth listening to.

I've seen what I'm saying here at this website, and oftenly, too. However I fear many people don't know what I'm talking about, but if you do, what are your thoughts?

Yeah, I'm guilty of it myself... However I do know that which player is the best, is a matter of opinion. You can say so and so is better than so technically, but who is the best player is entirely a matter of opinion.

And, a metal discussion would never be as civilized as that.
Here's a more likely case:

User 1: Lolz, Dimebag (R.I.P) culd tear this mother****er to pieces. wth y u even listen to that sucker?
User 2: OMG, UR SUCH A RETARD!!!!11!!!11! KIRK HAMMETZ IS TEH BEST AT GUTAR EVARRR!!!!!1!1!!!
USER 3: LOL!!!!!! DAVE MUSTAINE IS SO MUCH BETTAR THAN KIRK!!!!!! U MUST BE KIDDING YOU ****ER.
User 4: **** U ALL, ZAKK WYLDE IS THE BEST!
Etc.
Haha I have a good story about this.

I was listening to my iPod and a friend of mine said:
"What are you listening to?"
"My Chemical Romance"
"Why are you listening to them when you could be listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers or something way better?"
"I'm not gonna bother arguing whether they're good, but what's your favourite band?"
"Um... Maybe Queen."
"Ok, why listen to anything ever except Queen then?"
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT