Hey guys,

I've been playing the guitar on and off for about a year now. It's going pretty well, even though I don't really "practice" a whole lot, I mainly just sit down and play around. Thing is, I'm kinda lost when it comes to picking. I pretty much mess up a lot, picking the wrong strings etc. unless I'm staring directly at my right hand while playing. Alternate picking and all that jazz is fine though, never had any problem with it. I kind of thought this was a beginner issue and it would simply go away as I went long, but for some reason it hasn't. I just don't feel like I'm in control, at all. Is there any good way of practising this?

Btw, I usually rest my hand at the bridge when playing, if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

/sub
then just go ahead and stare at your hands while you play, until your hands get used to doing the right thing, or just stare while you warm up, there's nothing wrong with that whilst learning
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Muscle memory,

learn some real simple picking songs and you'll get better!
Quote by richrawr
Muscle memory,

learn some real simple picking songs and you'll get better!

yeh, it's mostly muscle memory...

place your pinky on the edge of your pickup while string skipping...
soon enough you'll be able to do it without any help...
Careful, you may get bashed for encouraging anchoring!!
I hate the anchoring argument...do whatever is most comfortable for you. Petrucci anchors and he's one of the most insane players on the planet. 'Nuff said.