I need an amp that is cheap (under 200 would be real nice) but I know I won't get anything amazing. I need a amp that could handle metal and shred, be portable like lightweight and bus carriable, and also be loud enough for a auditorium of 1000 people (think church size). I know I will have to look used and these are the amps I have considered-

Crate Blue Voodoo
Vox Valvetronix XL
Palimino
A Laney model
Randall G3
Line 6 Spider 3 (from musiciansfriend, the metal channel isn't the worse)
Line 6 Vetta (used it was about 250

BTW, I live in NYC so if u see anything, post it here please.
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
Yeah It was on craigslist a while ago
BTW I'm talking USD
Guitar Rig 3
Get the vetta! you will not look back for that price. All the other amps are pitiful in comparison to the vetta. This one should be a no-brainer.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I'd say Roland Cube 60.

My old chemistry teacher and me played a gig once with a band at my old school for about 300-400 people (school auditorium, unmiced) and he had it on 3-4.

It's very light and cariable and great for metal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Grab a Vetta if you can at that price. A lot of times you can find an old 212 Crate solid state combo (1980's) which are very loud and don't sound bad for $50-$150. Some of them are not reliable however. Old solid state 212's in general go pretty cheap.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Maybe you could look for a used Laney VC30, that should be loud enough. (i think)

Sounds like good advice, Mr. Soon-to-own-a-VC. Or look into the LC's too. and 200 what? elephants? ducks? mexicans?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Oh I'm talking USD.
And sorry guys, its a flextone not a vetta
Yeah I know big difference
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Maybe you could look for a used Laney VC30, that should be loud enough. (i think)

Its a great amp, but it doesnt quite have the metal and shred voicing the TS is after. A used LC30 would be better as it has higher gain and a more modern sound. That's all I can think at the moment
I would still go for the flextone. $250 is a good deal and it isn't a bad amp
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by The red Strat.
could those handle metal and shred

What little experience I have with Fender amps suggests no, but I've never tried those particular models so its possible, but I highly doubt it.
Fender amps tend to have great cleans, but the OD channels are a little lame (not terrible, but not great)
yo man check the Line 6 Spider II's. The spider III's are put together so poorly, and if you wanna shred, the Spider II has what you need and more. You get complete tonal control over everything, and since it's a solid state, you never have to worry about replacing tubes. If you look on ebay, you can get a spider II HD150 (150 watt) HEAD!! from any where between $100 and $300. and the spider II cabs roll with 4 12" custom celestions that you'll never blow. think about savin up cause the line 6 Spider II is well worth it. Check the deals on ebay, and craigslist. Later
Quote by Corsair1
yo man check the Line 6 Spider II's. The spider III's are put together so poorly, and if you wanna shred, the Spider II has what you need and more. You get complete tonal control over everything, and since it's a solid state, you never have to worry about replacing tubes. If you look on ebay, you can get a spider II HD150 (150 watt) HEAD!! from any where between $100 and $300. and the spider II cabs roll with 4 12" custom celestions that you'll never blow. think about savin up cause the line 6 Spider II is well worth it. Check the deals on ebay, and craigslist. Later

You contradict yourself in the second sentance. Also, you're terribly wrong. Spiders sound awful for anything but bedroom practise (even that can be sketchy) as they become so feedback prone when turned up and lose any hint of tone you had originally. Valve amps need servicing every couple of years, hardly a big deal. Also, the Spider cabs are poorly made with cheap "Celestion designed" speakers that sound dross. A better quality combo is a much better bet.

The Flextone seems a good bet, TS, it's a good price if you can get it for what you saw it for.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
You contradict yourself in the second sentance. Also, you're terribly wrong. Spiders sound awful for anything but bedroom practise (even that can be sketchy) as they become so feedback prone when turned up and lose any hint of tone you had originally. Valve amps need servicing every couple of years, hardly a big deal. Also, the Spider cabs are poorly made with cheap "Celestion designed" speakers that sound dross. A better quality combo is a much better bet.

The Flextone seems a good bet, TS, it's a good price if you can get it for what you saw it for.

+1 to everything you said, including the buying of the Flextone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
cheap, portable, lightweight, and loud? sounds like the crate powerblock to me. now of course the tone is kinda blah and isnt good for much other then a clean tone, but throw a nice pedal in front of it and it can sound good enough for metal. only thing is that it requires that the venue has a pa or at least a cab you can use. but for portable power, not much to beat it. and you can always use it as a backup when you get a better amp later.
Quote by kelvinxkelvin
Those fenders can play metal?

You wanted loud and cheap, I responded.

I'm not personally familiar with either amp, although the Performer gets positive reviews for it's gain. You throw a good distortion pedal in front of either one, and you'll probably be doing ok.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Surely a gig in a 1000+ seater auditorium will have a PA? In which case you don't actually need to worry about the power of your amp so much and can concentrate on choosing something that sounds good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Surely a gig in a 1000+ seater auditorium will have a PA?.

Haha, yeah. I can see it now. A thousand metalheads and shred lovers sitting down nicely in a church.

"I say, Johnny, is that a monacle you're wearing today?"
"Why, certainly Graham, it most obviously is. I say, this metal lark is jolly good, eh?"
"Guffaw, I say! Steady on now! Open to a cup of tea and slice of lemon cake, whatsay?"
Quote by slatsmania
Here's the cheapest Peavey Classic 50 I've ever seen, and it's sitting in Queens waiting for an offer.

Probably beat to hell, but you aren't gonna do much better than that for loud and cheap!

Those Peavey classics work great with distortion pedals. You should definalty be able to pull a liquid gain out of it with the Line 6 uber metal or Metal Muff.

I would recommend a Flextone II if you're going for more metal oriented, a Flextone III if you want more versatility.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ok. Thanks alot guys. I'll problable go for the Peavey
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by Kurapica

I'm sure flextone's are good, but for the price, spiders are where you want to go. I believe that flextones are ok if you have a big wallet and want to look, instead of sound good. this post is "LOUD amp for CHEAP" hands down, for the money, spiders are your best bet.
There is no way you can play for 1000 people with a small combo. It just inst possible.

Rather, its possible, BUT no one will be able to hear you after the first few rows of people.

Having said that, you better hope theres a PA system for you to run through, otherwise youre hosed, TBH. I mean, Ive played shows like that with my JCM900 unmicd, it was barely loud enough for everyone in the back to hear. See, its not a matter of whether its loud enough or not, its a matter of how well EVERYONE can hear it, not just the people in the front. You want something that can spread sound throughout the room as evenly as possible. Otherwise youll be blasting the ppl in the very front, but bodies soak up sound waves like sponges do to water, and the ppl in the back wont hear anything but the snare drum.
I dunno how the Crate GT212 sounds, but maybe someone else here knows... they have a blem one at zzounds for $165. it is 120 watts and 2 12" speakers. Just throwin it out there because you said cheap and loud...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRAGT212
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo