Hello I just got my first bass three months ago. I was wandering what are some recommended strings. And what amps are good no price range.
Ummm...strings first. I heart DR's maaaaan! But the best thing is to try a different brand every time you change them. As a guide, stainless steels (Elite Stadiums, some DR's, some Rotosound, et al) are brighter than nickel steels. But maybe a bit too bright; like to the point of being a bit aggressively 'clanky'. But some say nickels are too dull. You pays your money, you takes your choice. As they say. (And who, exactly, are they anyway? lol)

Amps? First decide what you want it for. Bedroom? Small practice amp. Jams/small gigs? 50w combo. Big gigs/scaring neighbours? Big combo - 200w+. Stadium gigs/demolition jobs? Big rig - 750w+.
If money's no object, as your question seems to imply, buy the best you can get - it'll last longer, and sound better. SWR, Ashdown, Ampeg, Eden, Trace Elliot, Euphonic Audio, EBS, are some quality makes which should do anything you ask of them.

You don't say what kind of bass you have, or what kinda things you might want to play, so this is only vague, general advice. See what the bassists in bands you like play, that might give you some ideas!
I use Rotosound strings, they're good for what I play. I suggest you try out different strings though, find the ones that suit you best.

No price range, eh? I'd suggest something like this and this.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
I use Rotosound strings, they're good for what I play. I suggest you try out different strings though, find the ones that suit you best.

No price range, eh? I'd suggest something like this and this.

srsly who doesn't have 2600 bucks lying around for an amp

so strings, i would like other people said, check some strings out every time, try rotosounds, DRs(high quality, i think they're to bright though) or ernie balls (my preference), or elixers which last long

for amps, if you're looking for quality, and price isn't too big deal, try ampeg or GK, if you're on a budget, the fender rumbles aren't that bad for a beginner amp Rumble 25 And try behringer out before buying anything from them, everyone always says they are built terribly, however I have never had any problems with them, they are cheap though, and therefore the tone isn't very good and the wattage is usually overcalculated
If money is no issue, then Mesa Boogie, and high end Ampeg will make you cum out of your ears.

For strings I like Ernie Ball, but that is mainly they cheap and last quite a long time.
Quote by Zar938
srsly who doesn't have 2600 bucks lying around for an amp

Actually more like 5200 dollars .
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
For amp I say Mesa Boogie. The one I tried made me wet down there. Though If you do want to have a budget, Ashdowns arent that bad (its what I have).

For strings, well Im not that experienced on strings but I do prefer Ernie Balls. Heh, I bet Bert does too. Get it? Its a Sesame Street gay joke.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
the best amps i have ever heard are the Sunn amps....... you can only get them on Ebay, probably... really expensive... worth every single cent.....
the second best ive heard are those vintage ampeg 8x10 stacks from the 70's..... simply amazing....

other ones i'd recommend....

Gallien Krueger 2001RB
Ashdown ABM 900 EVO

as for cabs the ones i like are

Mesa Roadready 8x10 (they dont make these anymore, but theyre great, and expensive... and also pretty hard to get, try Ebay, once again)... these cabs have a really really clear tone, theyre awesome!
Ampeg 8x10...... cant go wrong with a beast like this.... pure meaty, ground-shaking, bone-breaking power...
and maybe my favorites these days are the Gallien Krueger Neo cabs... theyre just great!...

strings i like DR Hi-Beams, Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys, Rotosound, GHS (only if are able to change your strings often, cose they have a great great tone, but die after a couple of hours playing), Tomastik-Infeld (these are awesome, but stupidly expensive), Dean Markley (if you like agressive growl and treble)... and also the Elite Stadiums (which are pretty hard to find but have a great great tone to them, kinda unique)

p.s. - dont forget to check out Orange amps as well!
Last edited by Divine Comedy at Sep 18, 2007,
I would concur on the EBs--they are great economic workhorse strings. But DRs are also up there on my personal fav list. It all depends on what kind of sound you are looking for and your bass itself.

For amps--Ampeg. I love my Ampeg, it makes even the lowest end bass sound wonderful, warm and round. And if money was a problem, you can still get some really nice used ones out there for a decent price. I love my BA 3 to death.
Strings - nothing beats a good set of Rotos.

Amp - Anything by Markbass, extremely, light and portable gear with awesome tone and versatility. In built filters mean you can dial in a usable tone with no need to fiddle with the frequency settings.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
i really like the markbass amps... really portable and all......but i just cant get enough higs outta them... and i was using a 4x10... still not enough highs.....

and about the rotos... well, they have probably the best tone ive ever gotten, but i "killed" a set - 2/3 days and they were freakin dead... awesome strings though... im just a brute with them probably...