Does this Epiphone Thunderbird IV have active or passive pickups? Form the back shots, it doesn't appear to have a battery slot, but I know a lot of EMGs are active, so I was curious. Also, between the ebony and the natural finish, which should I get? Most of my bandmates and friends think the natural, and some say both look good.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
1. Passive, they aren't even EMG pickups.
2. Natural looks so much cooler.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
They're passives. Epi have been pretty stingy on that one, lots of other cheap basses have actives these days. Why not this one?

Otherwise, black. Everything's better in black. Paint it all black. Your room. Your car (with
army surplus stealth black). Dye your hair black. Black I tells ya! Then sling your t-bird low, like down round your knees, and wear shades. Even at night. Yes, the very essence of rock'n'roll.
Quote by Robb987123Bass
Does this Epiphone Thunderbird IV have active or passive pickups? Form the back shots, it doesn't appear to have a battery slot, but I know a lot of EMGs are active, so I was curious. Also, between the ebony and the natural finish, which should I get? Most of my bandmates and friends think the natural, and some say both look good.

Dont get a thunderbird. At all. Problem solved. I'm serious, they blow.

But that bass has passive pickups.
Where did you get the idea that they're EMG pickups?

The Gibson T-bird is a passive axe, too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Oh, wow... they're not... I was actually looking at another one at the same time and got confused... thanks!
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Quote by thefitz
Where did you get the idea that they're EMG pickups?

The Gibson T-bird is a passive axe, too.

You didn't flame the thunderbird?!?

Are you drunk? Or sober?

But oh wow I didn't even think about the EMG line. And black looks better.
yeah the epi thunderbird is a horrible bass.. i wouldn't recommend anyone into getting it. i almost bought it at first. Just because it looked really cool and Shavo from system of a down uses it (except he uses a gibson). i would have if the price wasn't dropped to what it is now. glad i didn't. My Ibanez SRX-300 is a far superior bass than the epi thunderbird will ever be. And cheaper.
Well then, what $300 or less bass can you recommend that isn't Ibanez or Yamaha? (I have a grudge against both, no offense to anyone if you like them)
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:

Amp:

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
i like those epiphone t-birds.... but they are really really neck-heavy...... and their tone is too warm for me......dont expect much treble out of them either....

on that price range check out the Schecter Stiletto Deluxe basses....theyre on that price range, and they ROCK!
Oh..... dear.... he's.... ahah..... back.....

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not a T-bird fan... it's the nose dive that annoys me. It's meant to be a Thunderbird, not a bloody Peregrine Falcon.

Kudos for those who understand that analogy.

Yay, kudos for me!

Anyway, T-birds are not good. They have passive electronics, terrible sound, and neck dive. I know, I didn't believe about the neck dive being that bad until I tried one last week. I couldn't even sit comfortably with it on my knee with all the slipping and sliding, never mind standing up.
i like them, just not for everyone. they are good for people who want a low-end growl, but not treble, you just cant get treble outta those things... and if youre short annd/or have small hands... just forget it...

i agree that you should look for those Schecter Stiletto Deluxes, like desolation up there said, they are very good basses, extremely versatyle!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
...It's meant to be a Thunderbird, not a bloody Peregrine Falcon....

...maybe so, but peregrines only really prey on little stuff. Rodents etc.
T-Birds and the like I tend to think of as simple instruments, like, say, a shovel. A shovel also ends up nose down in the ground, and can also be made to do severe damage to a person's ears...lol

Over the years I've tried Roscoe, Robin, and Gibson Custom Shop T-birds; all of which played markedly better hung from the strap than the stock T-bird. Hmmmm.....
I didn't know they made the T-bird in natural, are you sure you didn't mean sunburst?
1/ Thunderbird doesn't come with EMG's. I have never seen one with EMG's as stock. I've also never seen anyone stupid enough to put EMG's on one.
2/ Thunderbird sounds, looks and feels like shit. Neck dive, muddy tone, bad fret access...
3/ Don't buy one.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.