What's the most necessary effects pedal for a beginner (preferably under $200)? I want to get fuzz, but maybe there is something more worthwhile.
Totally depends on what amp you're using. If you already have that distorted sound you want then the most essential is something like a tuner.

If you can't get the harsh distortion you want, then a fuzz is ideal.

If you hasve a valve amp and want a tighter, boosted sound for solo's or whatever, then an overdrive is what you're after.

Hope that helps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
a wah. a fuzz is good if you want that tone for distortion or solos or whatever you want it for.

or get a digitech whammy and you'll have more fun playing guitar than you ever have before
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
If you're a beginner then just get a multi effects zoom 505 pedal or something cheap/good to get experienced with effects.
Quote by FunkRocker321
If you're a beginner then just get a multi effects zoom 505 pedal or something cheap/good to get experienced with effects.

no, that was the mistake i made.
as a begginer i had no idea how to use it. eventually it pretty much broke and by that time i realized it was the wrong thing to buy anyway.

then i figured out how to use it
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
get a DS-1... and a tuner.... those are pretty much the essentials.... but it all depends of the type of music you play... i would stick with the tuner though
if your amp has no distortion/overdrive, get that.. i'd say reverb is pretty important. you'd probably have most fun with a wah pedal though.
what style of music do you play?

basics for just about anything, tuner, OD/distortion, delay, chorus. really it all depends on what you play. and DONT get a multi effect pedal.
For classic rock, I'd say: OD, Wah, Chorus, Reverb (if your amp hasn't got it). Maybe echo as well. But start with the first ones if you're only getting a couple.