how hard is it to sand down the finish on a maple neck? Not on the fingerboard but the back on the neck and the headstock. I want to sand the gloss finish down and them paint the back of the neck and the headstock. IS this possible? It doesnt seem too hard.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Sounds like it should be possible. But you should ask in the Gear Building & Customizing forum. You'll get less random replies from people who don't really know what they're talking about, like me.
^^ I am just going to paint it the same color as the body.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Yes its possible, but I dont understand why, its harder to play and IMO ruins the look of the neck (I love maple )

Use a REALLY fine grit sandpaper, because all you want to do is take the light varnish off, NOT the wood, if you get down to the wood then you may have a problem on your hands (un-even neck, etc) once youve done that, play it on the bare wood, make sure the neck is not uneven or flat anywhere, and that all the varnish is off, then paint as you would a normal guitar body, making sure of course to tape of the actual fretboard.
From personal experience replacing frets on my strat. Getting the finish right on that neck is pretty hard to do. Polyurethane wont do it, its to soft. The old paint was generally lacquer, it can be done with spray cans from walmart but wont be the best. The modern method is urethane car paint, but requires spray guns and the paint has to be bought at a auto body supply. To get that mirror smooth original finish you need to sand the paint with 800 grit then 1200 or 1500 grit, then polish it. You didnt say if you have mapleneck and fret board or maple/rosewood. Rose wood just needs to be taped off before painting, the maple fretboard will present different problems if you want it to look good. I know one guy told you to worry about taking off to much wood but if you dont use the cheap coarse grit paper from wall mart shouldnt be to much of a problem. The auto body stuff works better. Just takes time and patience. If its your only guitar you might not have one to play for a while. Some things are better left alone.

buzzcut, ive been searching for 5 minutes for the other thread, i just decided to post em here, haha.