I found this Marshall amp in my local classifieds. It says the model name is 8040. Here's the description:

"This 40 watt RMS, valvestate amplifier is in exceptional - almost mint -condition. This amp delivers almost unbelievable power. I believe these amplifiers were made between 1996 to 1998. It is a great amplifier for almost any guitar function. It has a 12 inch Celestial G12L speaker with pre-amp, power amp, foot switch and line out inputs. It is also equipped with the following: gain control, boost control, master reverb, normal and boost channels. Again, this amp is almost new looking and functions the same. I believe they originally sold in the $500 range. I'm asking $185 OBO. Please call Jeff at 561-638-8935 or email from here. Thank you."

Here are some pics:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/mrjtrex/up-H6AJ6235UD4T2B8J.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/mrjtrex/up-CC2R55LK40USN5T0.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/mrjtrex/up-A4TSKR7DFDBRIBQ9.jpg

It looks pretty good to me, but I know next to nothing about amps, so....
I play Metal and Hard/Classic Rock. I'm not sure if this is a good amp for me, so any comments would be greatly appreciated. I figure this is better than spending $1000 or so on a new Marshall.
Valvestates don't sound much better than their cheaper cousins, the MG's. Don't waste your money. Spend your money on a good used tube combo.
never owned one but ive heard some pretty bad things about em. save for a tube amp.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Really? I thought this might be a decent starter amp, hopefully louder than my Fender Frontman. I'm moving to a place I lived before, and I'm joining my friends band when I get there, so I wanted something that was pretty loud, and I figured Marshalls are decent, but I guess not...
Thanks for the advice though.
My friend has a valvestate, and it's not exactly great. You'd be much better off saving up for a 30-50W tube combo.
it's not that much better than the frontman, i mean it's probably not as muddy, but it's better to take a bigger step upgrading than losing money on that.

he said celestial speakers... *giggles*
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Why giggle? I'm a total noob when it comes to amps....

EDIT: Ohhhh, I think I know why...it's Celestion speakers, isn't it?
oh, i was just making a bad joke. the speaker company is called Celestion, but he said celestial. nothing really important ha.

just try not to get hung up on the 'if it's marshall, it's gotta be good' way of thinking. they make a couple of bad amps..
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Check craigslist for used JCMs, if Marshall really is your thing...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ +1. look ebay and craigslist for a JCM800
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
What about the Marshall Micro Stack, the Zakk Wylde one?
My friend has it and it's really nice, but I don't have much of an ear for tone, so...

Sorry for the double post
Quote by xXWylde_ManXx
Are they expensive?

Yes. Very pricey for a beginner amp.

80th best UGer
If its SS don't bother, and the micro stack is SS. If you MUST have Marshall, go with a used JCM. Based on the genres you've given, I'd say JCM 800 or 900. You can pick up a used 800 for around $800 with some searching, but I'm not sure about the 900's price range.
You can pick up 900s for $500 I think.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
that's a little better, but is the micro stack really that bad?
I don't think we'll be gigging any time soon, but I just need something louder than what I got now
You don't need a JCM, and you shouldn't get a SS. A low Watt tube combo is the way to go. Tube amps are much louder than SS amps with the same wattage.
SAVE your money if you need to then. You'll be far happier getting a good amp now, then buying a decent amp now than going and buying a better amp later.
^No, a used combo. You don't need a halfstack. I'd look at the Crate Palomino series.

The best course of action though would be to go to your local music store and try all the amps, and then see if you can find the ones you like for good prices online.