I am buying a bunch of guitar gear. I had $1300 worth of store credit at Guitar Center (long story). So far I have purchased a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, which I love, and two pedals I am not sure about. I asked the guy there what two good basic pedals for that amp would be and he sold me a BBE Sonic Stomp Pedal and a Boss Metal Zone. So far, I am not very impressed with the Metal Zone (I was skeptical in the first place). The BBE seems pretty cool. When you have it on you don't really think much of it, but then you turn it off and everything seems so flat.

My guitar is an Ibanez GAX-70 with an SH-4JB in the bridge and an SH-2N in the neck (I think those are the ones I bought). I will be purchasing a Gibson Les Paul Studio in a month or so (getting a sweet deal and intend to upgrade the pickups). I already have a Boss DS-1 and a Digitech Metal Master, neither of which I am very enamored with.

I am not looking to play any metal. I think I like the overdriven sound more than anything else. I used to own an early Silverface Dual Showman Reverb. I blackfaced it and put the expensive Groove Tubes in it. I traded it in right after it was fixed because it was just way too much amp for me. The guy at the store really cranked the amp and it sounded perfect. It was just insanely loud. I would like to get that sort of sound without being deafening.

I like the vintage/classic rock sound, but I'm not a big fan of classic rock. I listen to a lot of indie rock. I don't know if anybody here listens to them, but I really like the guitar in Akron/Family songs. I also like stuff like Jeff Tweedy, Stephen Malkmus, Ted Leo, and Jason Molina. I think that low guitar riff in "Happiness is a Warm Gun" is one of the best guitar sounds ever.

Cliff notes: I like overdriven Fender tube amps and basic guitar sounds without a ton of distortion or effects. Which pedals should I buy? Budget is around $600, but less is better.
So what do you guys recommend? I think I will be returning the Metal Zone tonight.

Is it worth purchasing a speaker or tubes for this amp? I intend for it to be my primary amp for some time. I would also like to put some of the credit towards pickups for the LP. I don't know if I should get Burstbucker Pros or what, but I suppose that's a topic for another thread.
Yeah, I am not sure why that guy pushed a metal zone on you? The sonic maximizer seems pretty cool, but if I was you I would check out either a clean boost, or an overdrive pedal. Either one makes it sounds cranked at low volumes, which is what is seems like you want.

You could get a wah too, they are always fun to play with.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Anybody have experience with the BBE Boosta Grande? I've always heard that the old Ibanez Tube Screamers were amazing, but are the new ones any good? I considered a Wah, but I'm not sure I'd use it too often. I also thought about a Whammy Pedal.

I also forgot to mention that I have Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2 on my Mac, so I can use that if I need to record anything with a ton of effects for some reason.
BBE Boosta Grande is a clean boost, which keeps the same signal as your guitar, but makes it louder so that it is overdriven on the amp. I was considering returning my Bad Monkey for a clean boost (though I doubt I'll do it).

Wah's are excellent to play around with, I don't use mine a lot but it was an awesome deal, and they sound awesome for funk and just screwing around shredding. Whammy's are different, they change the pitch of what note you play, if you listen to rage against the machine or buckethead, they both use the effect a lot.

Oh, and new tube screamers are alright, but I hear the maxon Ts9 and ts808 are much better than their ibanez counterparts. The TS pedals were originally made by maxon with Ibanez or something...
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
The Maxon stuff seems pretty cool, but my GC doesn't have any in stock. It looks like they could special order it, though.
check out the BBE Green Screamer. TS808 clone.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I think I'm going to check out the Fulltone Fulldrive2. Sounds like it could be exactly what I'm looking for. I love that it has an option for just clean boost as well.

EDIT: I just hooked it up and tried the two presets he put in the instructions. This is EXACTLY what I wanted. Looking forward to playing it more.
Last edited by nickernzen at Sep 18, 2007,
i'd get some nice PAFs for the LP, or maybe some fralins or WCRs. as for pedals, OD have a very wide range of choices available, popular ones would be fulltone, maxon, barber, xotic. there are also the more expensive ones with waiting times too like lovepedal, the timmy/tim, landgraff, klon. the OCD's quite popular around here too but its probably a little heavy and bassy for your liking, i'd get a catalinbread silver kiss, barber LTD or xotic RC or AC booster.
i'd change the speaker in the BD (a weber or celestion instead perhaps ?)
leave the tubes until they die, there nothing wrong with em.

and if you're gigging, a clean boost is always handy.

oh, and join my group
I think I saw a Celestion speaker at GC. Any suggestions on what kind? I'm guessing they don't carry Weber speakers. I would prefer to pick it up at GC because of the $300 credit I have left, but I can get it from somewhere else as well.
if you can afford it, i'd recommend a celestion alnico gold. it's just a higher wattage version of the blue, whick i've heard is great.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
Quote by yzmxer931
if you can afford it, i'd recommend a celestion alnico gold. it's just a higher wattage version of the blue, whick i've heard is great.

That sounds pretty awesome, but I'm not sure I can justify a $300 speaker in a $650 amp. I saw some Webers for around $200 that seemed like they would be pretty nice. Any idea how those compare to this Celestion?