It's a great head, I'd try others though. Particularly the Ampeg SV-CL, SVT-2 Pro, and the *flame shield at the ready* Marshall 400 watt tube bass head. I would see which one you like the best, if you get the opportunity. I've already been bitten by the ampeg monster, so naturally I'm going to suggest them.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
depends on what type of music your playin! give us a lil more info
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Last edited by groll01 at Sep 17, 2007,
*Also bitten by the ampeg monster* for all-tube sound get the SVT-2PRO. It's the same as the classic, but.... just..... better!

The Fender 300 is still sweet though, I played through one once and was impressed. But still, I'd take an Ampeg over it. Fender really should stick with guitar amps.

Mesa's 400+ is also a great all-tube bass head, but it's really a one-trick, heavy-metal pony. However, it does that trick very well.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Fender is improving in leaps and bounds since they aquired SWR some time ago. Many people, like Frank Bello, will put a Fender to an Ampeg any day of the week. Like all tube amps, the Fender Bassman 300 sounds best once it's warmed up, but it's a fantastic amp that's in the same level as Ampeg or SWR. It's head and shoulders above Marshall (goes without saying... Marshall bass amps are for Thunderbird players). What really counts is if you like the preamp section. Ampeg and SWR have 'trademark' sounds, whereas the Fender is quite transparent.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Marshall bass amps are for Thunderbird players

I may have to sig that. I'm doing too much of that.

But it may just be me but I cant look at Fender as a premium bass amp company. Dunno why.
My two choices would be between the SVT-2 Pro and the Mesa 400+. That's just me. Both are 300w RMS, don't let the mesa's title confuse you.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
If only that head wasn't so damn expensive, I would be on it like pete wentz on balls
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
If only that head wasn't so damn expensive, I would be on it like pete wentz on balls

i marked that one
sorry guys for not specifying my style, i play post hardcore/ hardcore/ metal/ funk/ jazz/ all over, lots of stuff in minor i just need a head that will last me and be worth it.
Quote by mountaindew88

Mesa's 400+ is also a great all-tube bass head, but it's really a one-trick, heavy-metal pony. However, it does that trick very well.

are you serious......
that was one of the most versatile amps i have every tried, mesa make great equipment that almost warrants the price tag. the only thing i would take over the mesa is an eden wt800.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"