Hi, I'm new to the forums and I listen to rock music all the time, mostly classic rock, and I really want to start playing the guitar. I've done quite a bit of research in search of a guitar and I plan on buying an Epiphone SG G-400 or an Ibanez. I want to buy a guitar that I can start learning with and will be able to play more advanced stuff later on. I'm also not sure what amp to get, theres just so many. And if theres a better guitar I can get for around $500/600 please suggest one.
ya if ur just starting out id get an epiphone pack cause ur not gonna b playin advanced stuff for a while
You should get a cheaper guitar starting out. I know a lot of people who bought a guitar and just gave up on it.
Quote by wmt814
You should get a cheaper guitar starting out. I know a lot of people who bought a guitar and just gave up on it.

thats soo true... plus you dont need a expensive guitar starting... youll probably mess up a time or two learning to change string or smething like that....

get yourself a starters pack.... and save for later
I'd go with a small amp like 30 watts or less.

Epiphone is good, Ibanez get better in advance stuff more so than there begginer selection.

I had a Marshall MG15DFX good amp even has a few effects and can get a descent tone. Max of 45 watt so pretty good sized.
Can you suggest an Ibanez for me? I might just get that instead. A friend of mine has a S series Prestige and I really like the feel of it, especially the body, but its way too expensive for me. I also want one with a tremolo. Oh, and thanks for the fast responses guys.
Last edited by ectropy at Sep 17, 2007,
Quote by ectropy
Can you suggest an Ibanez for me? I might just get that instead. A friend of mine has a S series Prestige and I really like the feel of it, especially the body, but its way too expensive for me. I also want one with a tremolo. Oh, and thanks for the fast responses guys.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_ibanez_rg5ex1_electric_guitar?full_sku=104298625

I bought one of these a few months ago and love it. I've been learning for about 9 months so still have lots to learn and improve but i like how this guitar looks, plays and feels. It's only available at Guitar Center though as it's a special model only produced for them.
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Ibanez RG5ERX1
Fender MIM Telecaster
Fender Acoustic
Fender Supersonic Combo
Boss TU-2 / CS-3 / DD-20 / Vox Satchurator / Hardwire CR-7 / Vox Big Bad Wah / ISP Decimator G-String
If you're after an Ibanez get something like a RGR321EX which won't break the bank, looks good and can be upgraded as you improve. Pair it with a Roland Microcube which, imo, blows most small practice amps out of the water. There's lots of effects and amp models on there too so you can have a bit of fun with it
+1 on the Roland Microcube
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Ibanez RG5ERX1
Fender MIM Telecaster
Fender Acoustic
Fender Supersonic Combo
Boss TU-2 / CS-3 / DD-20 / Vox Satchurator / Hardwire CR-7 / Vox Big Bad Wah / ISP Decimator G-String
Always good to start on a crappy guitar so you can value the good guitars.

I'd go with an Ibanez...there used to be a bundle with a fender frontman amp, look around for that.
Get a Ibanez GRG170 or GRG270, i got the 270 and it rules
Dont get an expensive one, i know someone who bought a guitar for 250, never plays it
Manchester United
Wow, many thanks for all the help guys .

So I've narrowed it down to three choices:

The Ibanez RG350EX
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--IBARG350EX

The Ibanez RG5EX1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_ibanez_rg5ex1_electric_guitar?full_sku=104298625

The Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 Custom with Gold Maestro Tremolo
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-G400-Custom-with-Gold-Maestro-Tremolo?sku=511895

Its so hard to make a decision, however if I had to put them in order from best to worst it would be the G-400 and RG350EX tied for first and the RG5EX1 in second.

And also the Roland Microcube does seem like a nice amp, but I want something bigger and with more effects, it seems like an amp that would be best for playing anywhere, but I'm mostly going to be playing at home.
Last edited by ectropy at Sep 18, 2007,
No love for RG321MH?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Ibanez are so damn sexy. As for amp check out the Epi Valve Junior, great sound and an even better price!
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Hi ectropy ,
It's allways a good idea to check out the reviews at musiciansfriend,
I find it easier to play on the ibanez (my first one was an ibanez) .
when i bought my last one a G&L legacy special, i have checked all the guitars they had in the store .
it's allwasy easier to compare 2 guitars at a time (now when you have only 3 choices) it would be just 3 comparisons to make...
be sure to use the same amp and cable for all of your comparisons .

keep rockin'
I would say the Ibanez RG series is your best bet. Those Wizard necks...oohhhhh yeh!! They're good for starters and it'll stay with you forever as you improve. You can only go up from here.