Are the US High Schools like they are portraied in the movies/series?

Page 1 of 4
In the movies and series, they portrait them as a really big corridor with lots of rooms, and they have chemistry labs, and they dissect frogs in some classes, and there are the detention rooms...

So is it all BS or it's really like that? Because I studied in Argentina and in Israel, and in none of those places it's even close as there.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

eh sorta. its not as harsh as the movies
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Basically, yeah. There are Chemistry labs. We disect frogs, cats, pigs, etc. My high school has three levels and over 2,000 kids.
Eh... depends on the school, really. Mine is pretty small and has no 'cliques'. It's only full of ignorant people who call anyone who wears a black shirt and doesn't have spiked hair emo.

Fuiste a secundaria privada?
I'm not American, I'm in Canada but I basically go to a stereotypical high school.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
mine was sort of set up that way, but the people didnt act like they do in the movies. for the most part anyway.
well, theres no big corridors here

u walk in theres one loooong hallway going all the way to the back and like three smaller hallways branching off on each side, with maybe 20 classrooms on each hall...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Daaamn... And how the schools get the cash for all that?
I also saw that you have even football fields there !
You fo' sho invest quite a lot in education.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I dissected a baby pig in high school, we didnt have detention or detention rooms, and I never went to my chem lab.

My high school had 6000 students and there werent lockers in the middle of the hall way for safe storage.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
some of them are. my high school is a piece of crap(built in the 80's. some of my teachers went to my school) too many mexicans, emo/metalcore kids, and prepy jerky sophmores who beat the **** out of everyone just because they got it last year. high school is a cruel cycle that keeps repeating itself.
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
Quote by urik

Taxes
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
My school:

Closed Campus, Cannot go outside unless you have a gym class.
Uh, large lunch room.

Yeah, we have cliques, there is:
1. Preps
2. Jocks
3. Emos/Scene Kids/Gofficks
4. Punks
5. Geeks
6. Normal
7. Ganstas (Wiggers) ('Chavs'..)
8. Rednecks

It's nothing like the movies.
i guess some could be, but not mine. we have two stories, four halls (two on each side of the building) a short hall connecting them, which is the main entrance, which also opens into the gym. we have a lecture hall that seats around 50 or 60, eight class rooms, an office, a detention/ISS room, an extremely small choir room, an extremely small band room (our superintendent hates music, so do the other people running the school), and i think that's about it. the science room and the chem lab, which doesn't have nearly enough supplies, are both in the middle school, which is connected, and has less rooms and the cafeteria, which was the old gymnasium. there's somewhere around 330 students in the high school, and about 300 in the middle school. our school is falling apart, and now they're charging extra taxes on everyone so they can build a new one. it sucks, but it has to be done. it made me mad though, because everyone kept voting no on the taxes, even after they had a secret ballot that they only told people they knew would vote about, and then after that failed, they just said "too bad" and gave us the tax. they could've fixed the school for the 60+ years we've had it if they hadn't invested literally all their money on the football team, which wins an average of 1-3 games every year. that's my school.
Last edited by frottage at Sep 17, 2007,
Some are most aren't.
Believe it or not the vast majority of America is still rural.
Small schools. Small buildings. Small populations.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
my high school got everything except the chem labs
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
myspace.com/protestingmodernlife

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG320DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Digitech Metal Master
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Yamaha Acoustic
Do you mean american football or football/soccer. Most schools have both. We also have a few tennis courts.
American schools aren't as strict on education (by that, I mean in like Mexico students usually have to learn a second language[english] all through school) as other countries.
Meh, I know what I'm trying to say, I just can't find the words for it.
"The poor didn't want this one."
Quote by crust_punk
Eh... depends on the school, really. Mine is pretty small and has no 'cliques'. It's only full of ignorant people who call anyone who wears a black shirt and doesn't have spiked hair emo.

Fuiste a secundaria privada?

I went to elementary school in Argentina, and then I went to High School in Israel.
My elementary school was private. In Israel the only private schools that are there are for rich kids, or kids with real bad behavior or mental problems. So I went to a public school over there.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Superbad is a good representation of american highschool.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Well for one, no one in my high school broke out a bong in science class, grew weed as a science project, flashed teachers, or broke out a perfectly choreographed (sp.) dance with accompanying song.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
yea...pretty much, not as perfect or cliche, but pretty much, thats why everyone pays lots of school taxes
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Quote by 吉他手成年
Mine's not, our administration is communistic.
-Stricter uniforms than ever before
-Uniform shoes (new)
-No posters on walls
-Every hallways looks EXACTLY the same
-Every classrooom looks EXACTLY the same
-Pretty much every rule that keeps people from having personal and creative freedom has been at least doubled.

What will they do next?!?!?

...thats not communistic.

thats facistic.

if it were communistic you'd all be teaching eachother with no principals or teachers.
Quote by Nelsean
I dissected a baby pig in high school, we didnt have detention or detention rooms, and I never went to my chem lab.

My high school had 6000 students and there werent lockers in the middle of the hall way for safe storage.

6000? I go to one with 3000 and it's the biggest one in the state... how many kids was the building built for? our campus is about half trailers, we're so crowded.
dude, i go to the steriotypical school. it's like one of the biggest schools in the U.S. with like over 3000 people. we got jocks, prepps, emo's, goth, geeks, skaters, basically anything you can imagine...it's pretty bad-assed...oh ya and there are alot of ghetto and mexicans...138 fights last year...pretty sweet
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by wholovesthesun
Superbad is a good representation of american highschool.

even though the writers were canadian
Quote by urik

Football is an education.
It is also a money generating activity for the school.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Arthur Curry
Basically, yeah. There are Chemistry labs. We disect frogs, cats, pigs, etc. My high school has three levels and over 2,000 kids.

2,000 in a three story school?

Lucky.

We have 2,000 in a one level school. And it's not THAT much of a one level.

And most of that 2,000 is freshman, about 800-900 or so.

Insanity.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
the only thing that american high schools don't have, that i've seen is the rope. everything else is true.
#DTWD
Quote by urik

yeh but those Football fields and sports programs take a lot away from the education part... sure we have some decent education, even though its no where near par with most European countries. people care more about the sports than education, again no real issue with it except I dont like sports so I see it as a waste of money... but o well, what can ya do?

btw im not a nerdy deuchebag who hates jocks and all that... Just a metalhead with a dislike for anything that results in over-exertion.. meaning I dont waste preciouse time and energy doing something that really cant benefit me any way other than socially. I can work out by myself, and practice guitar thank you very much.
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
football teaches discipline, responsibility and work ethic. i wish i had played longer. i'm lazy as shit.
#DTWD
It's pretty much like that, architecturally speaking. I go to a smaller school, only about five hundred students, so of course it's on a smaller scale, but that's basically the layout. Rocket Science is supposed to be one of the most accurate high school movies out there, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't really speak with any authority about it.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by primusfan
the only thing that american high schools don't have, that i've seen is the rope. everything else is true.

My middle school had rope, but never in high school. =/
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
It's like that except people have sex and do drugs in the bathrooms and there are fights every day over who's the father of who's baby. Sometimes there are race riots because everyone is a ****ing hillbilly and every so often someone whips their dick out for no apparent reason. It's a goddamn fetid nightmare made of crap.

At least that's how it is in the Warren-Youngstown area.
Mine is just like the movies. I'm that cliche kid with the antlers growing outta his head. =/

My school is pretty much a campus because our 11th and 12th grade campus is a collection of buildings with specific things and we have a football stadium, soccer field, several baseball fields and a Performing Arts Center that's insanely large then we have the 9th and 10th grade campus about an 8 minute walk from the other campus which is a cafeteria and 3 buildings with one being a 3 story one and 2 story other ones. We have about 6000 students total but I swear most of the students are retarded. Also it was built in the mid 70's or so and now we're spending 100 million dollars on a brand new campus where the old one is...yeah and to think they could have used the money to you know further our education.

School is gay.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
Yeah, a lot of high schools in the Us that are in relatively rich neighborhoods or large cities are like that. Of course every school has it's own aura, but structurally they are all like that. Cliques will differe from schools, but generally there are separated groups.
my school was in like the karate kid 3 or something so if you watch that you'll know what my school is like.
*removed*
Page 1 of 4