Page 1 of 3
beng in a band is frustrating for me.

cause we all have different likes and dislikes. i'm seriously considering leaving because its too frustrating and stressful for me.

like me, i'm the "tr00 p0nx" of the band, and i'm into all the punk bands and stuff.

our bassist, is liek into indie rock, alt rock, britpop, nu-emo w/e you wanna call it.

and our drummer is inot like blink, and other like pop-rock and rock and alt bands.

now, our stuff is pop-punk, but our drummer wants to be doing more of a pop-rock thing, which i cant/wont play, and so, like i tell him what the bands genre is, and he goes okay, and i showed him some stuff to get into, and i showed him the queers' punk rock girls, and really dug it

like really, he was lik "thsi is awsome, man!"

so i thot i had him going in the irhgt direction.

next practice, hes doing the same thing i told him, like he ocmpletely forgot what me and ihm talked aobut.

its frustrating, and also, he wantsl iek great production values and stuff, and to have more "arrangements" and w/re and i'm trying to tell him that by doing that we'll sound like blink, and we odn't sound like blink, guitar-wise.

its so frustrating, and i just want to playi n a band we write simple, catchy songs, not hard riffs, or big arrangements, cause pop-punk isn't supposed to be that kidna stuff, right?

blech, i'm probly just whining and **** i probly odn't make sense.
Quote by Stoner666
Here's an idea.

Learn to play music that doesn't suck.

O_o dude, you know you're in the punk forum right?
Yeah dude it's hard. I've got a drummer whos favorite band is Dream Theater, a bassist and singer who likes Ozzy Osburne and P.O.D., a lead guitarist who likes bullet for my valentine and then theres me who wants to play punk, pop punk, and ska. I'm thinking of quiting my band because I can't see anyway thats working.
haha I'm in the same situation, but so is everyone. I'm into underground metal and crust while my band members are into mainstream rock.

YOu just gotta deal with it. Try playing other styles of music and see what you play best. You dont necessarly play your fav. music the best
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Just let the drummer do his thing and focus on your guitar shaping the sound.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
remind him that he's a drummer, therefore his opinion dosen't matter
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Last edited by Ska Wars at Sep 17, 2007,
Omg, my band is the same EXACT way, and is why we haven't made a single song yet. well pop-rock people would probably get a better start from The Descendents and Screeching Weasel. (They're more like novice punk bands ) The Queers are a little too punk for Blink people.

Oh and just give your bassist some 'Fugazi' to listen to, nature will sort itself out.
Last edited by dookie_dude_ at Sep 17, 2007,
I imagine that most bands experience that. I know that mine have. Compromise is the key.
Quote by Stoner666
The thread was on the front page.
Doesn't mean you have to be a douche.

I've never really noticed a difference between pop punk and pop rock drumming. Just keep writing the songs that you've been writing and have fun
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
yeah comprimise is the only way it will work. and that mean you hafta comprimise too.
my sh*t:
Fender Precision Bass
Johnson Bass by Axl
custom Road handwired 2-12
Dunlop Tortex .73s
know what u mean. I've quit a few bands because people either stopped playing their instruments all together (suckers) or people that only wanted to play that **** that they play on the radio. I say shove it, the more you play that ****, the more the kids will like it. Play punk if you like punk, dont let some little fart of a drummer tell you what you should sound like. Find a new band just for punk, put up flyers etc looking for band members. Check out your local scene get to know the punks around you, most likely some of those kids in the pit also play instruments, or at least listen to similar music.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Been there. I wanted ska. The others wanted jazz, metal, indie stuff, classical and every other off the wall genre.
Quote by dookie_dude_
Omg, my band is the same EXACT way, and is why we haven't made a single song yet. well pop-rock people would probably get a better start from The Descendents and Screeching Weasel. (They're more like novice punk bands ) The Queers are a little too punk for Blink people.

Oh and just give your bassist some 'Fugazi' to listen to, nature will sort itself out.

The Queers are a fine starting band. unless you start out with one of the early albums, which are very rough, but still great. And if you give the bassist fugazi, he'd probably hate you. I know I would.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by StreetLight3989
Yeah dude it's hard. I've got a drummer whos favorite band is Dream Theater, a bassist and singer who likes Ozzy Osburne and P.O.D., a lead guitarist who likes bullet for my valentine and then theres me who wants to play punk, pop punk, and ska. I'm thinking of quiting my band because I can't see anyway thats working.

haha
How the HELL did you end up in that situation?! XD
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by Stoner666
The thread was on the front page.

THAT DOESN'T MEAN THIS THREAD'S NOT IN THE PUNK FORUM.

YOU FÜCKING SPASTIC!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
THAT DOESN'T MEAN THIS THREAD'S NOT IN THE PUNK FORUM.

YOU FÜCKING SPASTIC!

I got confused for a second. I didn't notice his first post had been deleted. *joins in*

Because metal is the most super awesoemenst genre ever. DON'T BELIEVE THAT "OPINION" BOLLOCKS!
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
alrighty sorry i haven't replyed yet, i've been at school and i just go back.

first off, we already have compromised, he does his blink-stuff in the drumming.

i do my punk stuff in the guitar

and our bassist writes the indie-type lyrics.

so thats why i'm pissed, cause he's trying to tell me what to do for guitar.

and, also, misfitsdiciple, that is a great idea, c'cept the punks in my city really ****ing suck and i hate them all, they're drunx punx and suburban street punx

i unno, its really frustrating to me. blah.
Quote by SuperBlob
haha
How the HELL did you end up in that situation?! XD

There all really good friends and they asked me to join the band. I really regert it now and I don't want to duck out because that would screw them over.
Kill your band mates.

Actually, just leave your band if you really dont like the way its going. Its not fair to either side if you keep your band going and start getting somewhere, and then leave because you couldnt brign yourself to do it before. I've been through it before, once your band starts recording and playing more shows then it wouldnt be fair to leave them stranded in the middle of all that.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
I'm really thinking about quitting, but the thing is I don't think I'll be able to start up a punk band because all the other people I know who like punk don't play anything.
hope it all works out
my "bands" rhythm guitarist quit recently and we already replace him with one of my friends who i think is better at guitar too. But the only thing is he took a bunch of our recording stuff that he thought he had a right to take so he kind of effed us over.

so yea i know where your coming from kinda.
My advice is if you dont like what your doing, whats the point?
so either quit or kick out someone.
Compromizing is important to do, but at the end of the day, if your not having fun, the music wont be as good and the point of being in a band is ruined.

original=punk :

Quit your band, buy a drum set, learn to play drums, then join my band. I'm playing pop-punk (kinda I guess) and I need a drummer.

Or just tell your drummer to play whatever he wants except faster. Because pop-punk beats are just rock beats played fast.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
original=punk :

Quit your band, buy a drum set, learn to play drums, then join my band. I'm playing pop-punk (kinda I guess) and I need a drummer.

Or just tell your drummer to play whatever he wants except faster. Because pop-punk beats are just rock beats played fast.

haha i can play a little bit of drums just not fills i'm very meg-white ish.
well id say first off, just because you play guitar and write music, you have to be careful not to be demeaning and haughty because unless your in an area where musicians of your genre are plentiful you need them just as much as you think they need you. Plus punk is good and all but the people who originated it were not trying to copy anything they just played stuff they could and stuff they liked. I'm sure before they started their own genre each member was into something slightly (if not vastly) different which combined into something different and cool, punk. My advice is to stop worrying about what you will classify your music as, and make the music first. Just play something that is completely original by mixing your music taste. The best compromise is when no one ends up perfectly happy
It doesn't sound like you're getting far with this band. Stop wasting your time.

Go find some punx to play with. You'll have a great time. And don't play shows sober seriously that shit pisses me off.
And don't play shows sober seriously that shit pisses me off.
That's f*cking retarded.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
wow, reading some of the posts near the top it is funny how many people are in the exact same situation as me.
i think i saw two or three posts with drummers liking dream theatre, bassists liking ska and guitarists liking bullet for my valentine. this is the exact same situation my band is in at the moment.
Quote by CHEAPSEX
Why Jesus Of Suburbia?

Because drinking is bad for you, and because you need to remember things and have motor skills to play an instrument.

Also, my friend Matt, who played bass in my streetpunk band, said our first show was the first show he ever played sober, and it was pretty much his best experience playing music.

Boo-yah

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
haha stupid drunk punx....playing shows sober is the way to go, a nice tight set is a lot more memorable than stumbling through a drunk set

But about the band

Well our band is a mixed jumble in that respect as well, but all our main influences lie in punk

Our guitarist's been playing banjo and listens to country! I love playing psychobilly and incorporate that kind of style in our bass. Our drummer's now into anti-folk!

In the end, if you guys want to try and incorporate each other's styles, it can still work out. You just need to tell your indie-bassist guy that guitar-work is your job, and he can stick to the bass. Who's the guitarist in the end of the day!

And maybe you can bring your drummer into Descendents and stuff? He likes the whole blink thing, and descendents did hugely influence that. If you like the Descendents (i'm assuming you do, most ppl do!), that would be a start to bring him more into pop-punk than what HE calls pop-punk!

Or if that doesn't work, show him NOFX (most blink kids end up liking that), then pull him into Descendents, and so on and so forth
So I returned from Rome last evening.......hello.....

When we started a band, the drummer used to like Gorgoroth or Dimmu Borgir....our Singer knew nothing about alternative music but Nirvana, our second guitar (who has never been there) liked Irish Folk, just our bass and I really liked punk......

Nowadays, two years later we all like 80s punk from Germany and that´s the music we make, so try to opress your members untill they like what you like
Did you really just say drinking is bad and you need motor skills to play an instrument?
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
Get them to elarn instruments. That's how the unseen started out.

thats what i'm doing

i'm starting a folk-punk side project iwth two buddies, one is ok on guitar, other can't play nuttin, but is getting a bass and amp soon so i'ma teach him.
Quote by CHEAPSEX
Did you really just say drinking is bad and you need motor skills to play an instrument?

Prove to me that either is wrong, and I'll end this discussion right now.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
Because drinking is bad for you, and because you need to remember things and have motor skills to play an instrument.

Also, my friend Matt, who played bass in my streetpunk band, said our first show was the first show he ever played sober, and it was pretty much his best experience playing music.

Boo-yah

i lolled. being sober is highly overrated.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by original=punk
beng in a band is frustrating for me.

cause we all have different likes and dislikes. i'm seriously considering leaving because its too frustrating and stressful for me.

like me, i'm the "tr00 p0nx" of the band, and i'm into all the punk bands and stuff.

our bassist, is liek into indie rock, alt rock, britpop, nu-emo w/e you wanna call it.

and our drummer is inot like blink, and other like pop-rock and rock and alt bands.

now, our stuff is pop-punk, but our drummer wants to be doing more of a pop-rock thing, which i cant/wont play, and so, like i tell him what the bands genre is, and he goes okay, and i showed him some stuff to get into, and i showed him the queers' punk rock girls, and really dug it

like really, he was lik "thsi is awsome, man!"

so i thot i had him going in the irhgt direction.

next practice, hes doing the same thing i told him, like he ocmpletely forgot what me and ihm talked aobut.

its frustrating, and also, he wantsl iek great production values and stuff, and to have more "arrangements" and w/re and i'm trying to tell him that by doing that we'll sound like blink, and we odn't sound like blink, guitar-wise.

its so frustrating, and i just want to playi n a band we write simple, catchy songs, not hard riffs, or big arrangements, cause pop-punk isn't supposed to be that kidna stuff, right?

blech, i'm probly just whining and **** i probly odn't make sense.

Um... Television was pretty badass, though.. That's all I'm saying. Just because it's punk, doesn't mean the guitar playing has to be ****ty..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
i lolled. being sober is highly overrated.

Playing sober > playing drunk/tipsy

I've played when I've been a bit tipsy before and it's not nearly as fun as playing when you're sober or just had one to settle your nerves a bit.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Page 1 of 3