I just bought a maxon OD808, ive heard good reviews of them, what do you guys think?

I have a marshall half stack, with a mg100hdfx. The overdrive on the head kinda sucks, so I thought that the OD808 would help my sound.

I also bought a boss ns-2, and was thinking of running the overdrive over my distortion pedal(metal master). Will this work out alright? Ive heard of several heavy metal bands that run overdrive pedals over their distortion.

Thanks for your input.
I think you should return the maxon and save up for a new amp.

It's kind of a waste running that nice of a pedal into that ****ty of an amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
def. dont return the pedal
silly people!
when you do get a decent tube amp you use the maxon to drive it
putting it before the distortion might beef up your sound a little, might make it sound amazing, might make it sound like ass, only thing to do it to try.
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
sell the amp for a 30 watt tube combo
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Yeah, if you can sell the amp and keep the pedal, that'd be ideal .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
metal masters are kind of ****. i ahve one so dont think im bashin you haha. if you run anything through it (or with it for that matteR) itll get all feedbacky and .. sound muddy.....like poo basically. i agree with the men above. save up for a nice head. if its a tube head you wont need too many watts. so maybe sell the head.....get a new tube one and drive the **** out of it. maybe. if you want.
Ya the metal master isnt the greatest, when I first got it I thought it was awesome but after playin on it for awhile Im realizing that the distortion it gives isnt really the greatest, so Im thinkin of gettin something else. I was looking into the metal muff but musicians friend doesnt sell those for some reason.

I wish I would have done a little more research into the amp head I was going to get. I bought a Marshall JCM 900 lead 1960 cabinet, and figured I would just get a low end marshall head. Im a little bit dissatisfied with the mg100hdfx, for the money I spent on it. Like $350. I am lookin towards the peavy valveking 100, seems to be pretty good from the price, what have you heard on that?
just buy a JCM900 50 watt head to match the cab!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by cbehrendt
Ya the metal master isnt the greatest, when I first got it I thought it was awesome but after playin on it for awhile Im realizing that the distortion it gives isnt really the greatest, so Im thinkin of gettin something else. I was looking into the metal muff but musicians friend doesnt sell those for some reason.

I wish I would have done a little more research into the amp head I was going to get. I bought a Marshall JCM 900 lead 1960 cabinet, and figured I would just get a low end marshall head. Im a little bit dissatisfied with the mg100hdfx, for the money I spent on it. Like $350. I am lookin towards the peavy valveking 100, seems to be pretty good from the price, what have you heard on that?

I personally like the Valveking, but there's no way you're going to need 100 watts. That's LOUD and don't be judging that by your MG because the volume of tube amps are 2.5-3 times loud than a solid state amp.

Since you already have the OD, I'd get something like a Classic 30/50 and just use the OD to get more gain if you need it. Overall, I like the tone of the classics better than the VKs, but the VKs are decent for the price.

What would your price range be?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If I had the money I would buy a really good marshall head, but I dont have access to a lot of funds right now. Im looking to spend $600 at most I guess, maybe a little bit more. The valve king looks good to me cuz its like $550 and its a tube. I do pretty much all of my shopping at musicians friend, they seem to have decent prices, anyone know of any other sites with good prices?
Quote by cbehrendt
If I had the money I would buy a really good marshall head, but I dont have access to a lot of funds right now. Im looking to spend $600 at most I guess, maybe a little bit more. The valve king looks good to me cuz its like $550 and its a tube. I do pretty much all of my shopping at musicians friend, they seem to have decent prices, anyone know of any other sites with good prices?

If you don't have a problem with going used, that's the way to go. You could get a JCM900 head to match your cab for around your budget if you look around. You could also probably find a Peavey 5150 combo or head for around that as well, that will have plenty of gain for you.

Also look into Mesa F-30/F-50s, great amps, I'd recommend it over any of the amps listed so far, has tons of gain and a great clean channel, very versatile and can be found cheaper than a 5150.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If I were you, I would either buy an amp for it's cleans and then use an overdrive and distortion, or I would buy an amp for it's distortion and only use an overdrive. The Maxon 808 is pretty darn good when it comes to TS-808 clones and I won't contest that investment at all.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Well the sound Im going for is mainly metal, if that helps at all. Im currently tryin to find some other good sites. I will definatly look into the mesas and used heads.
Quote by Kendall
The Maxon 808 is pretty darn good when it comes to TS-808 clones and I won't contest that investment at all.

This is kinda off subject, but didnt maxon develope or build the ibanez's tube screamers originally?
Quote by cbehrendt
This is kinda off subject, but didnt maxon develope or build the ibanez's tube screamers originally?

I believe so (have heard it from several notable sources but have never taken the time to confirm it), but being that the originals were branded as "Ibanez" technically anything beyond that with the same circuitry would be considered a clone.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
all the Ibanez tubescreamers were built by Maxon up until 2002. If you open up any of the older Ibanez TS pedals, they say Maxon on the circuit boards. Maxon also made a bunch of other pedals too as OEM under the Ibanez name.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids