my guitar is sounding too "bright" for my liking, it's made of alder wood, but it might also just be my tube amp's fault. I've been thinking about switching to these d'addario .11-49 blues/jazz rock strings(heaviest strings this store had lol) which are thicker than my .9-46's. So my question is..will the strings help or hurt my goal of a beefier/thicker sound?
I'm going to buy an overdrive pedal to help push my tube amp's gain, will i get a better sound with the d'addario strings or with my .9-46's(which came with my guitar)
i'm going to be in drop C and playing heavy metal.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
heavier strings will give heavier tone. but i might say you should get 10s in between the 9s u use now and the 11s u want. u need a little bridge between. 11s might be hard after playing 10s.

also, i don't really think its ur tube amp. when tubes are burning out, they lose highs. not get brighter.

i've heard B52s aren't that gainy, so overdrive should help a bit.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i can't just keep my .9 because it broke and i don't play on .10's only on my 9's

and about my amp, it still has gain(if my gain-tube was broken or something i probably wouldn't have gain at all), so hopefully a overdrive pedal will do the trick.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
when you get new strings, they always sound bright and chimey for a few days until they get worn in
The 11's you want are the ones I use. I love them personally and they sound great. But, the thick sound may just be my mahogany guitar.
Ben