I recently started to play more than I usually do, and after a week, my speed increased by 40 BPM, I want to get to 240 (playing 2 notes per beat), even though it's another extra 50, gap from 190 to 240 feels like something impossible to accomplish.

Just curious how long did it took people around here to get to 240, or what speed are you right now and how long have you been playing?

I'm really not all about the speed, but in the same time, I hate that I'm slow.
Last edited by Rotten_Yellow at Sep 17, 2007,
why does it matter, ive never even checked my speed.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
240? Uh, Just 120 double time. Speed is achievable with time and practise. For example, Eruption is 94 BPM
I play guitar to have fun. You should try it sometime.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by nedthehead
240? Uh, Just 120 double time. Speed is achievable with time and practise. For example, Eruption is 94 BPM

He's playing 16ths (from what I gathered from that post).
I dont really play for speed or check it. Usually when I improvise I try to play slower meolid stuff with small little bursts.
Dragonforce can play an infinite amount of notes per second. The only limit is the fret wire, which is made from diamonds.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Dragonforce can play an infinite amount of notes per second. The only limit is the fret wire, which is made from diamonds.

don't forget that they wear diamond crystal gloves when they play. for added speed
Quote by TJM2482
Threads like this remind me why I love guitarists like Gilmour.

and clapton
Quote by Rotten_Yellow
I recently started to play more than I usually do, and after a week, my speed increased by 40 BPM, I want to get to 240 (playing 2 notes per beat), even though it's another extra 50, gap from 190 to 240 feels like something impossible to accomplish.

Just curious how long did it took people around here to get to 240, or what speed are you right now and how long have you been playing?

I'm really not all about the speed, but in the same time, I hate that I'm slow.

You should really try putting more notes per click in. It's not nearly as hard to time 2 notes per click at 240 (8th Notes) as it is 4 per click at 120 (16th notes), or 8 per click at 60 (32nd notes), or 16 at 30 (64th notes).

Doing chromatics at 240 playing 8ths really isn't that fast, about 480 notes in a minute. It's good you're practicing speed, but you should practice with 16th notes, not 8th notes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I don't think it matters how fast your playing is, i think it's more about how clean you play. I'm sure any person could pick up a guitar a tremelo pick and flail his fingers at the fret board and get a rediculous speed.
Quote by Evian
I don't think it matters how fast your playing is, i think it's more about how clean you play. I'm sure any person could pick up a guitar a tremelo pick and flail his fingers at the fret board and get a rediculous speed.

Practicing speed licks, and techniques builds upon your ability to play accurately.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
See sig.
Play at a medium speed until it's effortless, then step up the tempo. If you start trying to play way faster than you can, you'll get tired and discouraged.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by TJM2482
Threads like this remind me why I love guitarists like Gilmour.

+1

But I like 'em both. Shred and Blues ftw
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by MESAexplorer
You should really try putting more notes per click in. It's not nearly as hard to time 2 notes per click at 240 (8th Notes) as it is 4 per click at 120 (16th notes), or 8 per click at 60 (32nd notes), or 16 at 30 (64th notes).

Doing chromatics at 240 playing 8ths really isn't that fast, about 480 notes in a minute. It's good you're practicing speed, but you should practice with 16th notes, not 8th notes.

+1
Also to add to the above, it also matters what exactly you are playing. If your doing just scales at that speed, that doesn't translate into actual speed. You should be able to do all sorts of excercises at that speed. Otherwise its just muscle memory helping you out and when it comes to playing other things you'll fall flat.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Shred and Blues ftw

As long as people don't try to shred in a blues context. Ewwww.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
yep.. 8th notes at 240 is 16ths at 120, which is how most "speed" is measured at..

in the drumming forum i frequent all speed is measured at 16th notes. some of the people can hit their kickdrums at a seemingly impossible 280 bpms with 16th notes. (george kollias from nile). measured in 8ths that would be 560 bpms. does your metronome go that high?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Nobody cares, just play. The worst thing any guitarist can do is get hung up on speed - it's simply not important in the greater scheme of things. Accuracy, phrasing, theory knowledge, improvisational skills...hell, even rock star poses are more important. Speed develops naturally as you get better, as long as you practice regularly it'll come. If you try to play faster you'll just screw up, but honestly, whay are you bothered? The only real use for knowing how fast you can play is so you can engage in pissing contests with like-minded players - for most of us, we just want to play music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
speed on guitars can be just like speed on a car.. driving a car at 40km/h will get you where you need to go.. so will driving at 400km/h.

you will end up at your destination one way or another but sometimes its fun to go at 400km/h..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
speed on guitars can be just like speed on a car.. driving a car at 40km/h will get you where you need to go.. so will driving at 400km/h.

you will end up at your destination one way or another but sometimes its fun to go at 400km/h..

True, but if you concentrate solely on driving at 400km/h rather than other factors like curves in the road, other cars etc then you're going at worst crash or at best miss out on a whole lot of pretty scenery.

The destination is nothing without the journey.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want to go for speed and that mean to play a million times with a metronome a bunch or chromatics exercise, go for it. But don't take that as your main priority, if you have 2 hours to practice, then put 30min on developing speed and the rest for understanding the theory and try to apply it to the guitar.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Like I sad, I'm not hung up on speed, I just want to get my hands get synchronized at higher speed. Every week I learn a new scale all over the fretboard and then improvise, and slowly increase the temp until I feel I'm not relaxed anymore, start to make mistakes and start to lose synchronization. It's just when I jam with my friends or 'jam' alone, theres always a part, that just asks for a quick fast lick, but I just have to skip it. For me, dynamics and fast licks are ****in' awesome combination.
A great exercise for Speed & Accuracy is something off the John Petrucci video. Everything is done at 66 BPM.

Set your metronome at 66 BPM, and play quarter notes. It may be slow, but MAKE SURE THE SPACES IN-BETWEEN NOTES IS CONSTANT AND ACCURATE.

Next play eighth notes, and get it cleanly and perfectly.

Next play play eighth-note triplets, and get it perfectly.

Next play sixteenth notes, get it perfectly.

Now it gets faster.

Next play sixteenth-note triplets, BE SURE TO GET THIS PERFECT.

Lastly, play thirty-second notes, when you can do this perfectly, you're on a fast road to speed success.

This is great for speed, accuracy, and timing. Good luck.
Playing slow on guitar is playing fast.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by FacingUsAll
I play guitar to have fun. You should try it sometime.

+1 on that