so a couple days ago, i bought a new standard strat brown sunburst maple neck from sam ash still in the box, so its brand new and nice. no big problems, just a little fret buzz on the g string that cant REALLY be heard unless you put ur ear next to it without an amp, no real biggy.

so the problem is, and this is with all my electric guitars. so i play a note with distortion on, then i play a note on a different string. it has this horrible distortion crunch kind of sound. if i play chord, you can BARELY tell a chord from another(exaggerating, but i think you guys know what im talking about). im thinking this is due to stock pick ups, cuz all my electric guitars have stock pickups.

my amp is a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt. is it my pickups or what? some help is nicely appreciated!
what were your settings on ur valvetronix? it might be a dying tube. did u try the clean channel? ur amp's input jack might be loose.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Is your guitar properly intonated?

You aren't supposed to play full chords with lots of distortion; that's what power chords are for.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Full chords are for minor fuzz, Jimi Hendrix type fuzz. Distortion / overdrive is more of power chords.

The signals tend to overlap and kill eachother if your distortion is jacked up high.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
^yes. playing full chords with distortion tend to make the sound muddy up a little. i dont like it. i play F type chords with the A-string muted. it makes it clearer.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Muddy? If you have high distortion, like, high-hi's, low-mid's and mid-low's, it's more than mud. It's total obliteration of your ears. It sounds like someone jacked in squire to a line 6 spider 3, cranked it halfway, and openly strummed every string.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
even when im soloing, if i play 2 strings sequentially while previous string is still held, it has ugly distortion
Turn your gain down?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
seeing as how stock pickups are never good in general, i've decided to get some new pickups.

how would i get a sound like jimmy page in all my love and dy'er maker? and sounds like clapton in layla/bell bottom blues? what kind of pickups would i need?
Quote by Ishiga
Full chords are for minor fuzz, Jimi Hendrix type fuzz. Distortion / overdrive is more of power chords.

The signals tend to overlap and kill eachother if your distortion is jacked up high.

it really depends...i can have my big muff on full and still play barre chords with out it going to the ****ter...i also want to know what your settings are because this could probably be why your tone is working out
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158