Page 1 of 2
Well, I'm young and my dad always comes in my room to say stuff like turn it down etc.. haha. and hes always like "play somethin" and before he comes in i'm playin cool pentatonics with sweet pinch harmonics and i think it sounds all cool then when hes standin there i'll always mess up and resort to playing the main riff to back in black or somethin for him . either way hes always like, thats cool. What about you guys?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
My dad really likes this song that I've written and makes me play it whenever he sees me with a guitar.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
just chill and dont worry about it play like ur playing just for yourself even if theres a huge crowd cus you wont get distracted
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
yeah it's hard.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

lol my parents love me and my brothers band lol but they get pissed if we play to loud
wen my old man comes in i have 2 quickly change from my metal routines into a bit of zepplin for him otherwise he has no clue........... he's just like yeah that's pretty intense...... but with a bit of black dog he just goes wow! ha ha funny cos he just plain doesnt understand........... o well
It's actually way easy.

Instead of thinking "Oh****." or "My time to shiiiiine!"

Take a few seconds to collect yourself and pretend there aint **** around you. Just four walls.

Easy as that.

&& Tortex .88 rocks. I use .73's though.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by metalimaster
wen my old man comes in i have 2 quickly change from my metal routines into a bit of zepplin for him otherwise he has no clue........... he's just like yeah that's pretty intense...... but with a bit of black dog he just goes wow! ha ha funny cos he just plain doesnt understand........... o well

hahaha nice

My Dad makes me play Big Sur Moon by Buckethead all the time, he thinks it's amazing.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
since it's your dad and he probably doesnt play guitar, just play something easy, it is really easy to impress people that dont play so dont try and get all complicated and technical
kill 'em a lot
I get nervous too, especially at Guitar Center.

Reminds me of the school talent show last year. The lights were so damn bright that I couldn't see the audience anyway, so I wasn't nervous.

Become a solo artist/shredder. Then you never have to look up.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
i remember my dad (rip) once had a few too many beers, and whilest i was trying to hang out with my girlfriend, he was like "take out the damn telecaster i bought you, turn that amp up to 10, and let me hear you play!"

awesome.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by SupremeACL
I get nervous too, especially at Guitar Center.

Reminds me of the school talent show last year. The lights were so damn bright that I couldn't see the audience anyway, so I wasn't nervous.

Become a solo artist/shredder. Then you never have to look up.

yeah dude, we're playin our first gig at the homecoming dance next month. I'm nervous so I'm hopin the lights will be like that!

My Dad used to always want me to play Samba Pa Ti by Carlos Santana. He actually had me play it at our last family Christmas.

But yeah, play Zeppelin or Cream if your Dad is around 50, that should bring him back. The Beatles is always a good choice but a lot of Beatles songs have much more memorable lyrics than guitar. Maybe something even older like House of the Rising Sun. Usually playing something slow but melodic is better than playing blazing 32nd notes and pinch harmonics. Oh yeah, and avoid metal, just doesn't really work.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

i do hate it when my parents tell my band to turn down though lol
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Put an atheist child , and 2 southern baptist into the same house, child listens to pantera, megadeth, slayer..... Parents listen to joe diffy, gospel ( in general ) .. child turns up his amp a bit and starts shredding, random parent walks by the door with a cross in hand and a double edged sword with " JESUS " written in blood on the blade. Just... let your imagination run rampant! Think i'm playin? I thought my parents behavior was funny till I came home to 20 crosses nailed to my door.. " God bless this room forever more " ARRRGGGHH MUST... FIND...HOLE... AND...DIE.
I fell into a burnin ring of fire, went down down down, flames went higher! it burns burns burns~! I'm now on a mission to learn this song on guitar... I sing it every morning as I head out the door.
my mom likes me playing the solo to hellbent for leather because she says its really melodic and my dad likes me playing classical stuff.
for some reason when i play for like one person i mess up some times but when im playing in front of a BIGGG crowd im in the zone i don't even have to look at the fret board
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
my grandma liked it when i played take me out to the ball game because she's a big baseball fan and that's the only thing i could play that she'd know lol. As for my parents, my amp is loud enough for them to clearly hear whereever they are in the house but they're cool. My dad doesn't like it too much but all he's said is that it's persuading him to build another garage outside seperate from the house, and he's glad i sound good.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Dude I know what you mean. I'm jamming out feeling invincible, parents walk in to listen, boom. Don't know what it is. But i'm getting tired of this bs.
Quote by Wolven
So we decided since all we did was play Mortal Kombat and watched Power Rangers, we could defend ourselves, so we went and grabbed a bunch of crap to bombard the thing with.
clapton always cuts it in my house
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
My dad has only complemented me twice on my playing; once when i was playing some srv inspired blues licks, and the other when i was messing around with nirvanas come as you are on acoustic
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

My mom never asks me to play anything or to keep it quiet. My dad always asks me to play him something and turn up the volume (He plays guitar, obviously).
My dad always asks me to play 'Enter sandman' even though i hate playing it -_-
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
my family just pure out bitches over my amp haha 370 watts being put to use
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by oscar7557
for some reason when i play for like one person i mess up some times but when im playing in front of a BIGGG crowd im in the zone i don't even have to look at the fret board

Same thing. If I play for my dad, my friends or just one person, I'll get nervous because I'm so concious of them right there, but if I'm in front of 50+ people, then I don't even notice them there, and I'll do fine.

It's wierd. As far as playing for my dad, he doesn't like metal (mainly the distortion, he thinks it sounds screechy) so I usually just turn down the gain a little for him and play what I normally would.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Do some simple two handed tapping thing. That always impresses people who don't know much about guitar.
Quote by DougC84
i remember my dad (rip) once had a few too many beers, and whilest i was trying to hang out with my girlfriend, he was like "take out the damn telecaster i bought you, turn that amp up to 10, and let me hear you play!"

awesome.

That is awesome.
yea when playing for your parents most likely whatever music you are into is considered noise so it wont impress them anyway,,i do remember being a teenager and playing megadeth metallica testament etc and asking for a new amp and my parents said i need to get better first before they would invest in one...remedy had my guitar teacher teach me paperback writer by the beatles,manic depression by hendrix and i think poison every rose has it thorn or some crap like that.i played it along to the tapes for my parents and got my new amp..so if u want to impress your parents dont play deicide they most likely will think it is crap and that you dont know what your doing,do something they know
Last edited by sidereal9 at Sep 18, 2007,
My mom gets all hyped up when I play You Really Got Me by Van Halen. Brings her all the way back to 1968 and The Kinks (I can't stand their singer, he's terrible. Very good songs, though.)
DIO FOREVER
I almost never play to my parents (I have my own apartment) but when I do, something by the beatles or icelandic folk songs always get compliments. Just refrain from the death metal and you people should be fine, plenty of time for that when you get away.
Washburn JB100 Customshop USA
Squire Stratocaster, Squire Telecaster, highway 1 tele,
FM65r amp, Marshall MS-4 & FM-15r
Washburn b-9 five string banjo, Eagle dreadnought acoustic. Art & lutherie AMI.
my dad actually plays guitar so he usally tells me if im doin anything wrong which is pretty cool and never seems to care how loud i keep the amp up
my family just pure out bitches over my amp haha 370 watts being put to use

I'm guessing that you read the input wattage off the power cable input? Haha, congratulations, you're an idiot! There's no amp anywhere that produces 370W, there's just no way you can get that multiple.

You have a nice day now!
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Yea parents like older stuff. But they can be fooled. I played after forever and lord of this world for my mother. She heard all the christian talk and said she liked it. I just didnt play ones like NIB or sabbath. And since I dont do the words shes all for it. But then again she will say thats nice what song is it, "A major", who sings that. Its the loud part most parents object to.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
my mom likes me playing the solo to hellbent for leather because she says its really melodic and my dad likes me playing classical stuff.

My dad even likes the heavy stuff. My mother always tells me ''Why don't you play that Toccata and Fugue again?''
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
I don't really play for my parents. They hate metal too much to listen to me.
WTLTL 2011
Page 1 of 2