I was talking to Dave MC about which pickups I should put in my RG550, and he said I might have better luck asking here.

Anyways, I'm looking to replace my pickups in my RG550, and I want to get a tone similiar to John Petrucci's. I play through a B-52 AT100, a JCM 2000 DSL. Anyone got any suggestions?
bump

steven seagull and azrael, you're wanted!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
he uses/d dimarzio pups right? simple air norton and tone zone.

but those pups are all over the place and i dont think everyone sounds like him, so i have to think a lot of it has to do with how he plays and the rest of his gear?

anyway, i think id start at the dimarzio web site.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I don't listen to enough Dream Theater, and haven't done so recently...but I'm going to post in here so I get subscribed, and I'll go listen to some at my buddies' place or something and figure something out.

EDIT: jenny might be onto something, if those ARE the pickups he uses. You have to remember that Petrucci uses Mesa Boogie amps, as well.

I did a quick Wiki so you can even see the variation of amplifiers he's used.
Studio Albums

* When Dream and Day Unite
* Images and Words - Triaxis 2/90 (dirty), Roland JC120 for cleans
* Awake - Only album to be quadruple layered. 2 takes using Dual Rectifier, 2 takes using Mark IIC+
* Falling Into Infinity - Rectifier, Mark IIC+, Mark IV, Triaxis
* A Change of Seasons - Mark IIC+, Mark IV, Triaxis
* Scenes From A Memory - Mark IIC+, Mark IV
* Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Mark IIC+, Rectifier
* Train Of Thought - Road King Series I
* Octavarium - Road King Series I & II, Lonestar
* Systematic Chaos - Lonestar, Mark IV (Mark IIC+, Rectifier)
* Suspended Animation (solo cd) - Roadking Series 1, Mark IIC+
* Liquid Tension Experiment - Triaxis, 2:90 power amp
* Liquid Tension Experiment 2 - Mark IIC+, Mark IV

Live and DVD release rigs

* I&W Tour - 2 Triaxis Preamps (one for backup), 2:90 power amp, Mesa Abacus+Mesa Midi Matrix for switching
* Scenes From NY - Triaxis, Dual Rectifier, Mark IIC+, Mark IV, Formula Preamp, 2:90 power amps
* Live At Budokan - Road King Series 1, Lonestar
* Score - Custom Built "Nunya" Preamp, Formula Preamp, mesa 2:100 power amp, 4 Mesa 4x12's and 4 Mesa 2x12's
* 2007 G3 tour - Mark IV (x2), Formula preamp
* 2007 Systematic Chaos Tour - Mark IV (x2), Lonestar

His Wiki page has the best gear info I've seen on Wikipedia!
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 18, 2007,
yeah, i mean i think what you want is a quite modern/brightish but not too hot neck pickup (so it's not muddy for shredding, but not too hot either), and a reasonably hot bridge pickup, but which again isn't over the top but which isn't bright/shrill either. you definitely don't want mud either, though. He's using pretty modern high gain amps, his pickups are giving them a bit of help, but i think it's mainly the amp (and obviously his fingers).

Just I'm not really sure of suggestions for dimarzios... i haven't tried the drop sonic, unfortunately. i'd say you could do worse than a tone zone/air norton, but the tone zone can veer towards mud if you aren't careful, and also the drop sonic may do it better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
D-Sonic has more definition than the Tone Zone...ceramic magnet and all that. It's a bit more clinical too - better for rhythm stuff. The Tone Zone is a lead players wet dream but it's not very forgiving and the midrangeyness can be a bit much at time. It's hilarious fun if you're in the mood for it though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ thanks for checking in guys.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
D sonic is good in the bridge (obviously) Tone Zone has too much mids and gets muddy with gain. Won't be so good for all the rthym stuff he does too.

Paf pro in the neck is good. Great soloing tone. Breed would be good too if you want a bit more warmth and a weebit more gain.
air norton is warmer than the paf pro and slightly less modern/more versatile sounding. basically, for more shred, the paf pro is possibly slightly better, for more classic tones (and still good shred tones), the air norton is possibly slightly better.

from what i can remember.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So everything is slightly better than everything else ^? You'll need to clarify that.
JP also used Steve's Special, but I'm not sure it'll be better than the D-Sonic for rhythms, seems more like a soloing pickup.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Evian
So everything is slightly better than everything else ^? You'll need to clarify that.

haha, ok.

for out and out shred in the neck position, the paf pro is possibly slightly better.

for more classic tones, and less shred, the AN is possibly slightly better.

but it's preference too, i'd probably prefer the AN for almost everything, as long as the guitar wasn't muddy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well he used a Steve's Special and Air Norton in his early Ibanez guitars. Then he switched to EBMM guitars and had DiMarzio make special pickups for him, based on the Steve's Special and Air Norton. According to the DiMarzio FAQ, these pickups are the closest production models if you want the same pickups as John.

Lately he's been using a D-Sonic aswell, in his mahogany bodied guitars (the earlier ones were made of Basswood, and I'd imagine your Ibanez is aswell).