Ok, I have searched High and low, and I can't seem to find exactly what I need.

I can't get much cash (only what I can save up and sell my gear, I'm willing to sell everything but my strat for the cash), and even then I won't have too much.

I will be doing a little small gig work (mainly my school's talent show, but probably other stuff as soon as I can fix up a band) so 75-100 watts solid state or 30W tube should be fine for me. Hell, a 15W tube might do it, but I doubt it.

tube amp wise

I tried a hot rod deluxe, and the cleans were absolutely amazing, but the gain just didnt do it for me. I want the option to play metal and hard rock open to me at least, but I also want the ability to play clean (clean just needs to be decent, not great)

above that, theres a peavy valveking or windsor, neither of which I have tried.

solid state wise

theres the randalls, as well as the crate flexwave models.

I could easily do to afford the 120 Watt Flexwave (halfstack or combo, but I'd by the combo first). and with the extra $$$ I could get a good pedal or two.

honestly, I don't really care about tubes/no tubes. Sure, tubes are good, but I won't be able to crank them anyway, I live in an apartment (then will go to college in a dorm), so distorted tone is going to have to be at a reasonable volume as well as clean.

and the gigs I'll have will be tiny, and I won't be getting paid for them.

so what do you guys think, please don't tell me to get some expensive marshall or EVH tube stack I can't possibly afford.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
ill probably get flamed for this but maybe a line six spider 3? half stack?

maybe some sort of randall or crate combo?
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
I'd go with the Windsor, it can't do cleans though But, I think it's worth it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
randall rg50tc. and an OD pedal should be under 600
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
ill probably get flamed for this but maybe a line six spider 3? half stack?

maybe some sort of randall or crate combo?

I would recommend the Cube 60 instead of the Line 6 Spider series.

I'd really look into Line 6 Flextone II or III series as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I wanna stay away from modeling amps though, I hate my spider 2, and I want the ability to buy distortion pedals and just plug away.

honestly, the crate flexwave 120W combo looks nice. Also the Windsor looks cool too, but sometimes I like to turn off the distortion, you know?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
I wanna stay away from modeling amps though, I hate my spider 2, and I want the ability to buy distortion pedals and just plug away.

honestly, the crate flexwave 120W combo looks nice. Also the Windsor looks cool too, but sometimes I like to turn off the distortion, you know?

To turn off the distortion, you just roll down the volume on your guitar, but it doesn't really stop the distortion, it just lowers it because that is one high gain amp. But, if all you play is metal with your band, then it is perfect. But, if you're going with the combo that isn't out yet, I hear it has alot more clean headroom, and will have cleans when you're practicing I hear.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
B-52 AT 112 combo
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Go for something like the Peavey Classic 30. It's a good all around amp. Decent cleans, good crunch. It'll need a pedal to push it into metal territory. Thing is, you should be able to find a used one for under $400, giving you plenty of cushion to get the pedal you need.

Much better choice than the Flexwave.

If you insist on going new, you could look at the Palomino V32, too. The 1x12 sells for $500, which is really an awesome value for a decent 30W tube amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Go for something like the Peavey Classic 30. It's a good all around amp. Decent cleans, good crunch. It'll need a pedal to push it into metal territory. Thing is, you should be able to find a used one for under $400, giving you plenty of cushion to get the pedal you need.

If you insist on going new, you could look at the Palomino V32, too. The 1x12 sells for $500, which is really an awesome value for a decent 30W tube amp.

I agree, go with a Classic 30.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by slatsmania

agreed. a windsor is doubtless worth a look too, if you don't need cleans. Sure, it's 100 watt, but most of its tone is probably in the preamp as it's a high gainer. I know i didn't have any bother dialling in a heavy distortion at low volumes. it'd probably do heavy distortion more easily than the classic 30 at bedroom volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know I'm moving away from tubes with these, which is never really a good thing, but I don't really need excellent tone, just good/decent tone thats better than my spider.

thing is, I really don't have cash (I've got about $70 to my name right now, and I've been saving), so I'm hoping my trades in gear will make up for the rest of the price. If I have to, I could have my parents help out a bit, but we're not too well off, and already in a lot of debt.

there are 3 amps I could definitely afford (after selling all my gear, minus my strat and a cheap dano pedal... my strat is my best guitar anyway, and it has the highest output pickups too, believe it or not, it outdoes my SG even into metal territory!)

anyway the three amps I'm really looking at are the Roland Cube 60, and the Crate Flexwave FW65 (65 watt) and FW125 (125Watt, a bit more than necessary really) Keep in mind, I do not have/cannot rent a PA system, so the amps'll have to do on their own, no mics.

cube 60 I hear really good things about the cubes, and people playing them in youtube videos sound pretty good.

FW65
I tried one awhile ago, and it was OK. nothing wrong with it. But as far as I've experienced with crates, they seem to output to lower volumes than even other SS Amps, so would I be able to be heard in a live (garage band style -- two guitarists, bass + drums) situation?

FW120
Pretty much the same as the other one with more wattage.

I still want to get a nice tube amp, but if I can't afford it, it'll have to wait until I move out and get a car/job (at least a year and a half, I'm a junior in highschool in the middle of nowhere, no cash, no car, no way to get those things...).

I can deal with SS tone, what I cannot deal with, is my Spider's lack thereof. The clean channels sound like plastic, and the only really usable channel is insane (the green one), the green crunch sounds ok, but not really good at all. All the rest sound thin, with crap for sustain, and the effects suck balls.

I want to have at least a little flexability. The Line6 makes my strat sound like a toy, and its a pretty darn good guitar. Only fenders that came close were the american series, and mine held its own against them IMO...

edit:

I'd really like to stay under $500, plus I'd liek to try it first, but the H&K Matrix 100W combo looks excellent matrix combo

I don't know if I can actually get the $$$ though...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 19, 2007,
Ok, I just decided on an amp.

I'm gonna go with a Peavy Bandit 112 Transtube. The sound, as far as reviews and youtube videos go, is good enough quality for whatever gigs I'll do (I'm doing talent show at my school, and probably a bit more once I get a good band going)

I'm getting that, as well as the $40 (way overpriced IMO) channel switch pedal. is there a cheaper/still compatible pedal?

but my question now is, with all said and done, I can milk a little more $$$ out for an effects/distortion pedal. not much, maybe $70-$100 USD.

I was thinking either a marshall Guv'Nor 2 pedal, or perhaps a crybaby wah. I might also through in a cheap $15 Dano Chorus pedal, regardless, as I will no longer have my (horrible, crappy, mostly useless) digital effects.

from personal experience, is the distortion on the bandit worthy of use? Most solid states don't usually have good OD, but I've heard some decent tone on videos (although I don't know if they edited the audio), and if I don't need to buy a distortion pedal, I can get the crybaby. Is the overdrive on it good?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
DONT GET A LINE 6 READ MY POST IVE GOT GOING NOW IM A OWNER OF A SPIDER 3 120 watt and it IS HORRIBLE!!!! you cant switch channels easily and you gotta get a separate foot pedal and when you do you have to set up your channels just right and if you dont all of a sudden your playing some god awful tremolo with a sweep echo....go with something else
I for one own a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 combo amp. It is in essence the exact same amp as the peavey classic 30 but it has a 15" speaker. The amp is nice for cleans, it has some of the best clean sounds i've heard. Up against a Fender i still choose the classic 30. It can do harder rock but you might need a distortion pedal to get a better metal sound out of it. Overall i love the amp, when i can crank it the amp is amazing. When i can't it doesn't sound as good but it still has an amazing sound. I play with a Gibson les Paul and it deffinetly gives me a great sound, and it actually opened up my playing style somewhat since I started to test out some of hte blues sounds it gives.
dude, I already have a line6, I AM REPLACING IT ALREADY!!!!

the amp I said I'd buy is a Peavey Bandit

now I'm gonna copy/paste my question again so that people don't think you answered it.

repeat:

I'm getting that, as well as the $40 (way overpriced IMO) channel switch pedal. is there a cheaper/still compatible pedal?

but my question now is, with all said and done, I can milk a little more $$$ out for an effects/distortion pedal. not much, maybe $70-$100 USD.

I was thinking either a marshall Guv'Nor 2 pedal, or perhaps a crybaby wah. I might also throw in a cheap $15 Dano Chorus pedal, regardless, as I will no longer have my (horrible, crappy, mostly useless) digital effects.

from personal experience, is the distortion on the bandit worthy of use? Most solid states don't usually have good OD, but I've heard some decent tone on videos (although I don't know if they edited the audio), and if I don't need to buy a distortion pedal, I can get the crybaby. Is the overdrive on it good?

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
the b-52 mentioned above is a good choice. the bandit sounds pretty good for a ss...but i still don't really like the tone too much.
Quote by slatsmania

A local band that I've hung out with a few times uses a Classic 50/212. It's alright with a distortion pedal but distortion pedals, unless you buy a $200 tube driven one then you're not going to get a thick distortion tone. If you want to get this amp into metal, you're going to need a medium-high gain stombox, which like I said, is going to sound thin, hissy, and piercing to your ears.

I'd recommend an amp that can at least go to a hard-rock tone without a pedal (cube 60, Vox Valvetronix, Flextone, Flexwave, 5150 combo)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by spiroth10
I know I'm moving away from tubes with these, which is never really a good thing, but I don't really need excellent tone, just good/decent tone thats better than my spider.

Why go for less than decent tone when you could get good to great tone in a Classic 30. Get one used for around 400. It wont break the bank and will do what you want. Im not sure why you wont listen to the great advice that has already been given. Now if you absolutely cant go used, then get Crate V32 like mentioned earlier.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Why go for less than decent tone when you could get good to great tone in a Classic 30. Get one used for around 400. It wont break the bank and will do what you want. Im not sure why you wont listen to the great advice that has already been given. Now if you absolutely cant go used, then get Crate V32 like mentioned earlier.

Lol, a few hours ago, I was looking around, and lo and behold, I found a used classic 30 (one of the older models with no valve-guard). Picked it up for about $350. Great clean and crunch tone, and with a pedal it does go into metal territory easily.

sad thing is, I live in an apartment, so I can't put the volume higher than 2, and even then I have to tone it down on my guitars somewhat, but it still sounds a HELL of a lot better than my spider (or any other SS amp for that matter)

now I'm going to go get some pedals -- although I might just sell off my SG (and my remaining spider II) and get a really nice tube distortion or multi-effect pedal for around $300. Heck, I could probably find a combination of those things at that price.

see, my parents ended up buying the amp for me, so now I still have all my cash for goodies :P.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
thanks jesus that you were one to take our advice. i was about to yell at you when you started to get on the "i don't need good tone" train.

phew. enjoy your new amp
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
that was a quality last-minute save there. Nice work, and hope you enjoy the amp!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?