I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and am interested in fuzz effects. I like the sounds I can get out of my guitar with the Big Muff and the Fuzzface, but I have heard that humbuckers limit the full potential of fuzz pedals. Is this true at some level? What makes single coil pick ups more suiting to fuzz if this is true? I've felt in the past that the lower strings with the fuzz sounds a bit too fuzzy; would single coil pick ups help this? Any help on the matter would be very much appreciated.
Doesn't sound familiar to me. Humbuckers produce a thicker sound, single coils a thinner. I suppose they're both equally fit to make fuzz effects - though humbuckers will need less gain in order to get it. It all comes down to what kind of sound you like, but even then you'll be able to do stuff with your equalizers.

As for your lower strings being too fuzzy, that's just how it is, and I don't think single coils will make a big difference there. But try adjusting the volume knob on your guitar, it might level stuff out a tiny bit.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
Doesn't sound familiar to me. Humbuckers produce a thicker sound, single coils a thinner. I suppose they're both equally fit to make fuzz effects - though humbuckers will need less gain in order to get it. It all comes down to what kind of sound you like, but even then you'll be able to do stuff with your equalizers.

As for your lower strings being too fuzzy, that's just how it is, and I don't think single coils will make a big difference there. But try adjusting the volume knob on your guitar, it might level stuff out a tiny bit.

Your advice is kindly appreciated, thank you.
The reason for this is that singlecoils have a much broader frequency response - a fuzz pedal will accentuate all the odd harmonics and 'wasted frequencies' as you can hear from Hendrix's Strat tone, or Keith Richards' angry tele sounds on Stones records. Many singlecoils already have more presence and a more trebley, lively tone which becomes pretty insane when subjected to high gain - particularly using the bridge pickup.
Humbuckers concentrate on a more narrow, mid-focused band of frequencies which gives you a slightly darker, smoother fuzz - not a bad thing, as the most common 70s guitar tone was basically a Les Paul into a Plexi - with a Big Muff in the middle! I'd suggest going into a guitar shop and trying some fuzz pedals with a Les Paul and a similar amp - then decide for yourself...

If you use the fuzzbox a lot and are finding the lower strings too loud try lowering the pickup slightly on the bass side (or better still, the polepieces if they're adjustable).