I just started meditating this week, and it wasn't even on purpose, I just started humming to myself, saying A and Oh over again, just breathing out slowly and humming slowly during the entire breath. I just had a trance kind of experience it was amazing, do any of you guys meditate? And if you do, do you listen to music(whilst meditating)?
i try really hard... i've only been able to do it once, and i was drunk so i pretty much passed out after the first ten seconds...

it bothers me that i can't do it, it really truly does. i guess i just don't try hard enough...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Yes, but it may not be the same as you. I do it mostly every night before bed to kinda empower myself so to speak for the next day. But it has most to do with my religion... or my own version of a religion that seems best for me. I agree it is an amazing experience if you take it seriously, and it can really benefit from it. I've done things I didnt' think possble that i could even do.

EDIT: I also pop in two hydros sometimes about an hour before sometimes though. I find it helps, but this is only if I really can't focus.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
I haven't in years. When I did, it wasn't at all like a trance. More like a clear but detached state.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
Yes, but it may not be the same as you. I do it mostly every night before bed to kinda empower myself so to speak for the next day. But it has most to do with my religion... or my own version of a religion that seems best for me. I agree it is an amazing experience if you take it seriously, and it can really benefit from it. I've done things I didnt' think possble that i could even do.

EDIT: I also pop in two hydros sometimes about an hour before sometimes though. I find it helps, but this is only if I really can't focus.

Like what?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I've done it a few times. When I did I put on Moonloop by Porcupine Tree, it gets me in that state of mind. The song is a good 40 minutes long. You never have to worry about the song changing.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
I've dabbled in it. It's certainly a relaxing and fulfilling experience when you finally shut out all thought and go into a trance. I need to be in the right setting to do it though.
I tend not to listen to music, unless I'm stoned, in which case it doesn't make a difference to the experience.
I'd like to study it more, and find some schools of thought and philosophy related to it. I feel it's worth the effort.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by The Virtuoso
Like what?

Well there not typical "major" changes. But it's the small things that i"ve noticed. Like almost a heightend sense of things... wow is that from 300 lol. But anways, it seems like everything is based on one certain thing at a moment in time. I've noticed better reflexes, I feel rested everymorning, and I feel personally it's helped me a lot. I know this sounds selfish, but it's almost as if I am the main focus of the world (during the meditation period) nothing else matters, and I choose what goes on and how it should happen. I reccomend it highly. It may not have the same effects to everybody, but I don't think I will ever stop.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I did this for the first time ever stoned a few nights ago. It was a really weird experience, but it was enjoyable. I also went into a trance like state.
Well I'll describe what it felt like with a prologue. I'm in Psychology in University, my interest is how the brain works, I study it and read about it just out of pure interest. So as I started meditating the outside thoughts just started to get the volume knob turned down, the people I know, people I love and want to love, painful things from the day, all of it just slowly got muted. At this point all I was thinking about was how my mind was functioning, how the nerves were creating and receiving information, I could feel the nerve impulses running up and down my body, then everything was sort of silent and all I was experiencing was the sensory impulses from all over, it felt like a blanket covering my entire body, at this point my mind was entirely silent, there was no fear or pain, nothing. Hope you liked my story.
Research the word "om" and chant that as you meditate. "Om" encompasses everything, and the required silence followed by the word is the moment where everything flows back into "om," where it reformulates once again as the word is uttered. Meditation is a specialized form of yoga. While yoga focuses on transcending your body by manipulating it in every possible way, meditation focuses on doing the same thing with your mind. It's a really interesting set of beliefs. Study vedic/hindu/buddhist religions, they are really interesting.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Study Buddha. He was quite the catalyst for the clearing of minds across the globe, and his words and teachings remain relevant to meditation today. Don't do it for the sake of doing it; do it because you want to, and because you believe it will help you.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
thanks darkstar, good username and a good movie too. Not sure exactly how it goes but I liked the line about whether sensory information represents reality or an illusion, "what proof do you have that it is correct"
Quote by Altered_Carbon
Study Buddha. He was quite the catalyst for the clearing of minds across the globe, and his words and teachings remain relevant to meditation today. Don't do it for the sake of doing it; do it because you want to, and because you believe it will help you.

Agreed. Although I'm not anyway close to a Buddist, I think people shouldn't do it just to do it as well. I do it because I thought something was missing in my life and felt this completed that part. But I do reccomend people at least try it and see how it goes. And if they like it, and had an "experience" they should continue... i guess hence, " do it because you want to.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Quote by CaptainOfSmug
Agreed. Although I'm not anyway close to a Buddist, I think people shouldn't do it just to do it as well. I do it because I thought something was missing in my life and felt this completed that part. But I do reccomend people at least try it and see how it goes. And if they like it, and had an "experience" they should continue... i guess hence, " do it because you want to.

I'm not a Buddhist either, I just believe Buddha was a wise man with some very interesting theories about what he observed in life's patterns, and it shows in the various schools of Buddhist meditative practice. And I'd agree that people should try it first to see if it can work for them. If it's a good experience, it's remarkable what it can do for you.

Also, don't feel stuck to one discipline of meditation. There are many in the world, and you can probably even come up with your own regime if you felt you needed it. Experiment, have fun, make it work for you.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
mmk say if one(me) has no expeirence with the subject and would like to try. would one just sit indian style and hum. or does one try and focus one's mind on a topic or something. one does not get it

PS: its fun saying one
You are now blinking manually
I find it easier to not have a firm set of religious beliefs at all. I study the world's mythologies and I have come to accept the fact that we're all not so different. If you go through your life advocating just one god or principle, you are really restricted to that one system. I like to think that I can find peace by studying many cultures and picking out details/ways of life from those theologies or philosophies to better my life. Yoga and meditation happen to be just one of those for me, although I haven't really had the time to practice it much. Gotta start again. This thread inspired me.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Keyphur
mmk say if one(me) has no expeirence with the subject and would like to try. would one just sit indian style and hum. or does one try and focus one's mind on a topic or something. one does not get it

PS: its fun saying one

Eh, one would say neither.
Instead of focusing your mind on a topic, focus it on something like a canvas. Think about how blank it is, and just let that feeling of blankness overtake everything else, take predominance in your thoughts. Let go everything you've done in the day, and focus on the blankness of the canvas. Eventually (with a little practice), you'll slip away and find yourself meditating.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
I'm gonna say one more regularly in my conversations. And I really have no idea how one starts to meditate, though I've tried a long time ago with that approach and it didn't work, all I could think about was pizza and videogames and normal everyday things.
Quote by darkstar2466
I find it easier to not have a firm set of religious beliefs at all. I study the world's mythologies and I have come to accept the fact that we're all not so different. If you go through your life advocating just one god or principle, you are really restricted to that one system. I like to think that I can find peace by studying many cultures and picking out details/ways of life from those theologies or philosophies to better my life. Yoga and meditation happen to be just one of those for me, although I haven't really had the time to practice it much. Gotta start again. This thread inspired me.

Exactly. Philosophy and belief should be personal, and should be based on what makes sense to the individual, not on an organized level. I can find no reason in organized religion, and I think I'm much happier stealing from various schools of thought and molding them into my own philosophic meanderings.
And yeah, this thread has got me going too, I've been lapsing for a while now.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
One method I use is to slowly pick out the things I'm thinking about and forget them completely (at that moment). As things come up in your thoughts, discard them and move on toward your goal of stillness or nothingness. Slowly, but surely, wandering thoughts will become less and less frequent.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
now the question becomes, what is it that makes it something so pleasurable and desirable, I always hear people talking about inner peace and inner silence but what exactly is it about a silent mind that makes it something to be attained? Right now my only stab in the dark would be that it is freedom from the pain of being alive.
Damn i love UG everyone here is so freakin deep its amazing. i guess only musicians can truly understand or attempt to understand the world
Quote by farcry
now the question becomes, what is it that makes it something so pleasurable and desirable, I always hear people talking about inner peace and inner silence but what exactly is it about a silent mind that makes it something to be attained? Right now my only stab in the dark would be that it is freedom from the pain of being alive.

One simply finds it refreshing to shrug off the trials and strains the physical world demands. Silence is a virtue that not many in this day and age know the worth of (well too few anyway I would say), and it is most pleasing to be able to find such a valuable commodity in such huge reserves in one's own mind.
Harmony is my goal, both in me and to others. I find it easier with clarity of thoughts and emotions.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by farcry

When I read about it and study the mythologies, I have deep regard for their beliefs, but in everyday life, I alter what I learned to fit my own needs. Taking from Buddhism, a major concept is to let go of your desires. I like to focus on this when I meditate. Face it, we all want something or other all the f*cking time, even if it is something we want for someone else. I like to think that by getting rid of these wants, I'll meet my "soul" or whatever you want to call it. The purest form of me.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I get what you're saying Gandalf. Temptations and possessions are plenty, and are probably the biggest distraction this world has to offer. Of course, they are completely natural to covet, but if you can keep them under control, then that's probably the closest to spiritual perfection you can get to I'd say.

Quote by Keyphur
Damn i love UG everyone here is so freakin deep its amazing. i guess only musicians can truly understand or attempt to understand the world

Music is certainly a huge driving force and inspiration to me, but people can find that kind of passion in anything really.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Yeah, I've been meditating for years. I'm very much interested in OBEs (Out of Body Experiences) and AP (Astral Projection), and that was why I initially started [meditating]. I've found that over the years it's really changed my entire way of thinking, making me a lot more open minded and able to accept others for who they are, what they believe etc. The feeling of literally leaving your body is a nice reminder that there's more to life than being alive as well.

Quote by darkstar2466
Research the word "om" and chant that as you meditate.

It depends on what you're going for. "Om" traditionally stimulates your third eye, which is good if you've been meditating for a while, but I think the first step needs to be opening your root chakra which involves "Lam". I, myself, have never bothered with the chanting because a) I'm never meditating in a free house and b) when I first started I was skeptical about the whole thing enough as it was, without believing that chanting a particular word was in any way going to influence me
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Sep 18, 2007,
Do any of you really feel a long-lasting sense of inner peace? Sometimes I get it, but it lasts for a very short time, it's like 10 seconds usually when I'm riding my bike to school and listening to music. Then I lose it again, things creep back into my mind, stupid things that don't make a difference. I wish I could just not let these stupid things change me to something I don't want. Even if the things bothering me are rational, I just want them to not change my state of mind.
Quote by Yakult
Yeah, I've been meditating for years. I'm very much interested in OBEs (Out of Body Experiences) and AP (Astral Projection), and that was why I initially started [meditating]. I've found that over the years it's really changed my entire way of thinking, making me a lot more open minded and able to accept others for who they are, what they believe etc. The feeling of literally leaving your body is a nice reminder that there's more to life than being alive as well.

OBE's come very rarely for me, but they're always very enlightening. Are they a regular occurrence for you?
I concur with the open-mindedness. Sometimes clearing it can filter out the hateful rubbish completely, or so I've found.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Well, this thread is probably going to die just like all the other good threads, but it's been fun talking to you all. I'm gonna go sleep now, and try to catch my mind just as it slips away into the subconscious.

And hooray, my accidentally-deleted Judas Priest discography will be replaced by tomorrow. Torrent's almost done downloading. I'm gonna rock my ass off tomorrow to Priest tunes.

Good night.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Eh, hopefully we can keep this one going, it's quite intriguing.
Night Darkstar!
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by Altered_Carbon
OBE's come very rarely for me, but they're always very enlightening. Are they a regular occurrence for you?
I concur with the open-mindedness. Sometimes clearing it can filter out the hateful rubbish completely, or so I've found.

Yeah, I get them a lot, especially as I'm falling asleep. After the amount of meditation I used to do (I don't seem to have that much time for it these days) I find my mind stays alert for longer as my body falls asleep at bedtime (lol, I love the word "bedtime" ) and I literally feel myself become slightly detached from my physical body and that a slight push and a stretch releases me, I can't really describe it very well.

I never talk about this with anyone because in the past it's only been met with cynicism and ridicule, which is a shame. The only person I really talk about this with is my mum, because she has the same kind of experiences, and even then it feels weird talking about it. In our culture it's a serious taboo to suggest that perhaps there's more to life than science, and a lot of people get VERY angry if you insinuate that that's what you believe.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Sep 18, 2007,
It's not taboo in organized religion to suggest a higher existance, but that's exactly why(because it's organized). To organized religion anyone who doesn't follow their claims are seen as deviant/delinquent/heretic/lunatic whatever you wanna say, but that's social control for ya, there'd be no way for organized religion to exist if this didn't happen.
Quote by farcry
It's not taboo in organized religion to suggest a higher existance, but that's exactly why(because it's organized). To organized religion anyone who doesn't follow their claims are seen as deviant/delinquent/heretic/lunatic whatever you wanna say, but that's social control for ya, there'd be no way for organized religion to exist if this didn't happen.

Yeah. I think if I told a priest that I, personally, believed that rapists, murderers, paeophiles, martyrs, holymen, vicars, nice-guys etc. all went to the same place when they died, they'd **** themselves What I mean is that I think everyone goes to the same place, regardless of how you've led your life. From a scientific point of view, what does killing someone actually do? Because I don't believe in a "God" per se, it doesn't make sense to say that there's a heaven and hell because that would imply that someone, somewhere, is taking a list of who's been naughty and nice. It makes much more sense to think that when we die our "souls" are released and we go to the next stage. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I explained it well
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Yeah. I think if I told a priest that I, personally, believed that rapists, murderers, paeophiles, martyrs, holymen, vicars, nice-guys etc. all went to the same place when they died, they'd **** themselves What I mean is that I think everyone goes to the same place, regardless of how you've led your life. From a scientific point of view, what does killing someone actually do? Because I don't believe in a "God" per se, it doesn't make sense to say that there's a heaven and hell because that would imply that someone, somewhere, is taking a list of who's been naughty and nice. It makes much more sense to think that when we die our "souls" are released and we go to the next stage. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I explained it well

yea it makes sense and i see where your goin but i dont believe that everyone is going to the same place i like to think that evil people will be punished and good people will be rewarded, but then wheres the line between good and evil. it is so hard to distinguish. but just in case ill keep tryin to live my life by the karma system, do good and good things will happen.
but dividng things between heaven and hell is definitely the simpler route which is why its always existed.

what im tryin to say is, im not exactly sure what i believe in, but im slowly building to it. im not convinced that once we die we ceise to exist, but rather we go to the next level, as u said. i guess this is where meditation kicks in. im gonnah have to give it try.
Well, in the idea of religion, I think it's more constructive, and beneficial, to find your own special type. What I did (I'm not saying I created a religion) was that I've done a great deal of study on numerous religions, and through that, I've always found pieces of a certain religion that I liked and of course a lot that I didn't agree with. So, I pieced together the topics, subejects, beliefs, that made the most sense to me and I feel I've become a better person by following those beliefs.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Quote by Yakult
Yeah, I get them a lot, especially as I'm falling asleep. After the amount of meditation I used to do (I don't seem to have that much time for it these days) I find my mind stays alert for longer as my body falls asleep at bedtime (lol, I love the word "bedtime" ) and I literally feel myself become slightly detached from my physical body and that a slight push and a stretch releases me, I can't really describe it very well.

I never talk about this with anyone because in the past it's only been met with cynicism and ridicule, which is a shame. The only person I really talk about this with is my mum, because she has the same kind of experiences, and even then it feels weird talking about it. In our culture it's a serious taboo to suggest that perhaps there's more to life than science, and a lot of people get VERY angry if you insinuate that that's what you believe.

Yeah...My mates are either super-Christian and says it's heretic, or super-atheists who say it's pointless. Moderation is not a road between black and white it seems.
I've had very few of them, but the ones that come always make me super happy, like nothing bad can happen.
Yep. It's good stuff alright.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by Keyphur

Meh, there's bound to be enlightened people in every community. And there's also bound to be the 13-year-old immature kids who come up with things like "Icy-Hot."

The only form of meditation I've attempted was linked into lucid dreaming, during the summer I would set my alarm to just after my REM cycle started, then I'd wake up get up for a moment, lay down and count 200 deep exhales.

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]