so my crash cymbol of 7 months just cracked, and ive been playin on it for a couple days and the cracks grown to almost 2 inches...i was wondering if i could weld it back together, or would that **** up the sound? cus it still works...i just know its only gonna hold out another week or so. could i weld it? or how can i fix it?
The material cymbals are made of can't welded or brazed.

it's gone

buy another and play quieter.

better quality cymbals will last longer but any cymbal will crack like this if hit too hard for long periods of time.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 18, 2007,
Rest in peace, young cymbal. You must go buy a replacement.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
3 things
1. Cymbal no o
2. welding it will definately **** up the tone
3. depending in where the crack is, you may be able to drill a hole at both ends of it to stop it from spreading.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
^ almost perfect.

4. /thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ohhh, the crack is right on the outer edge...it still sounds fine. so if i drill right at the innermost part of the crack itll stop the spreading? cus i really need it the next couple weeks, and i am **** broke.
i heard that its the way someone plays it

my friends drum teachers been playin for 20 yrs never cracked one
“Broken hearts never mend”.
But fools never move on.
Quote by waterbottle352
ohhh, the crack is right on the outer edge...it still sounds fine. so if i drill right at the innermost part of the crack itll stop the spreading? cus i really need it the next couple weeks, and i am **** broke.

yes.

In other news, unless it's really cheap, you shouldn't be breaking cymbals. Either stop hitting so hard or learn to hit it correctly.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
^ sometimes they do just crack though. It could be from being in an environment with fluctuating temperatures or being slightly bent so that their structural integrity is compromised

One thing you could do is to literally cut the split out if it's not too big
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I usually do what yakult says, looks a bit odd but its fine really, also dont be hating on cymbal breakers we dont know our own strength
Diezel, Motherfucker
If you buy through Guitar Center be sure to buy the insurance or performance whatever the **** they call it so that if you break it within that time you can get a new one from the company.

My friend is a hard hitter, uses thick sticks, and he plays a lot so he breaks cymbals every couple months. He brings it back to Guitar Center, the company sends him a check, he can use it for whatever.
Quote by hollow1928years
If you buy through Guitar Center be sure to buy the insurance or performance whatever the **** they call it so that if you break it within that time you can get a new one from the company.

My friend is a hard hitter, uses thick sticks, and he plays a lot so he breaks cymbals every couple months. He brings it back to Guitar Center, the company sends him a check, he can use it for whatever.

Wow, that's really good! I'll pass that on to my drummer because he's always breaking his (and his dad's) cymbals
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I'll crack you cymbal!
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Anywho, that sucks. I don't know anything that could help, other than listen to other people here with usefull information, like the drilling thing.
Alls else I can say is;
R.I.P. Cymbal.
Depending on the type of crack theres ways to repair it, check out the pearl drummers forum theres heaps of info there.
I see a lot of bands who Put duct tape over cracked cymbals? would this stop it spreading though?
That would ruin/compromise tone I'm sure. But my drummers drilled before, and I'm glad that worked because cymbals are crazy expensive! Glad I'm a guitarist
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
I have a tip: PLAY YOUR GOD DAMNED GUITAR!
Quote by The Spoon
i wasnt wikipediaing blow job okay, it just happened

Quote by primusfan

one time i fucked a sofa.

Quote by Draken
Freedom of speach?

on a private website?

Based in Russia?

i'm sorry comrade, but you fail.
I've heard that thinner have a tendancy to break less since they flex and have more give than thicker cymbals.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Well, you can always start collecting broken cymbals and putting three or four of them on one stand like Jon Theodore.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
Quote by civilunrest
I have a tip: PLAY YOUR GOD DAMNED GUITAR!
Totally random, dude. This was a good thread until you came along.

I have a tip for you, civilunrest
Iif you aren't going to contribute to a serious thread, in a proper manner, Stay out.
Save your bullshit for the penis threads and the like.

Drum questions have no other place to go but the Pit. Give them the respect they deserve or expect to get reported.

PM sent.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by waterbottle352
so my crash cymbol of 7 months just cracked, and ive been playin on it for a couple days and the cracks grown to almost 2 inches...i was wondering if i could weld it back together, or would that **** up the sound? cus it still works...i just know its only gonna hold out another week or so. could i weld it? or how can i fix it?

Duct Tape.

It holds the universe together!
Quote by kaptink
I see a lot of bands who Put duct tape over cracked cymbals? would this stop it spreading though?

I just can't see it holding well enough to stop the crack from spreading.
And it would mute the cymbal.
Cymbal.

its okay man. my zildjian K hi-hat has a crack too.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
yeah, i've had my cymbals for about a year and a half now and *touchwood*, they're gonna stay intact

bad luck, try not to strike them head on, but kinda hit them diagonally so that it doenst get the edge of the cymbal, your sticks will last longer too
Quote by Yakult
Wow, that's really good! I'll pass that on to my drummer because he's always breaking his (and his dad's) cymbals

except guitar center are american

fool.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
except guitar center are american

fool.
I'm not so sure I'd be calling anyone a fool just yet. Guitar Center is American, but you can buy on-line through them.
Do they have the same insurance program on-line? I dunno.
Would the shipping costs make the insurance not worth it? I dunno.
Worth checking into, though.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
My drummer cut out a crack and the cymbal's been fine since. The music shop told him to do it so I assume its the right thing to do.
Quote by 4STRINGBOY
Cymbal.

its okay man. my zildjian K hi-hat has a crack too.

I feel sorry for you man.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.