Page 1 of 2
I'm wanting a brutal metal sound out of my amp. I've played a 6505 and I was spoiled by the metal that it was able to dish out. But I want the versatility of the JSX. I've heard both of these comments concerning tube amps: OD pedal through the OD channels, or run a distortion pedal through the clean channel. But I haven't read yet where someone has done either one with the JSX to accomplish this sound. I have a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop. It helps but I still cannot achieve it. I've tried every setting possible. It gets an alright tone, but no 6505. To anyone who may know, it would be greatly appreciated. And also, which pedal would do the best?
going to be difficult imo. I know a few guys that were looking for a brutal metal tone out of that amp, and weren't able to get something they were satisfied with, even with pedals. It's got a ton of gain, but it's voiced more for that shreddy lead sound than a brutal metal tone. I would sell it and just get the 6505 or a used 5150. They are the same amp, the name just had to change when EVH left Peavey. You should be able to come out ahead actually. You will lose versatility obviously, but you have to determine what's more important to you.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I'm going to keep the JSX. I'm going to try out a MT-2 mod on the clean, then try it as a boost on the crunch channel. I also ordered 6L6 JJ kit from Eurotubes. It is supposed to cut the mid's some and make it darker. I'll keep trying until I get something close anyway.
^Why dont you just buy a GOOD od pedal to boost your gain!

And crank it too! imo you should of got a 5150/6505!

Cheaper too!
Everyone hates MT-2. This really bothers me because i can get a few great tones that i like out of it. The pedal is very hard to get the tones you want out of, thats a given, but once you find a sweet spot the MT-2 is br00talz!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
^Im one of the few peps who can actually get a great sound outta it. But in general its not a great pedal! theres betters out there by a long run!
I found out how to get a great metal sound out of it. I'm getting a refund out of it and buying a 6505! By the way... The MT-2 Keeley Mod SUCKS a**!!!!!!!
You won't be able to get an extremely brutal sound of it but you can get a metal one from it. Shout Tubadude a pm. he has one and plays mainly metal if I remember correctly.
fyi, Chris Amott from Arch Enemy has been known to use JSX amps
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Kris from Darkest Hour also uses one. His tone is freaking nice.
we must become the change we want to see.
^^ im pretty sure chris from AE only uses them when he plays his leads, theres no way he could get the exact same tone that michael does with his amp.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by jerm__
^^ im pretty sure chris from AE only uses them when he plays his leads, theres no way he could get the exact same tone that michael does with his amp.

maybe, maybe not. But from most site which has some write up about him, says he uses JSX.
You can't always go by what the big dogs use as far as just finding the right sound out of a single unit for personnal use. They have rigs compiled of several different Eq's, effects processors, etc. The best money can buy. I'm sure that they are easily able to get Jsx set to the heavy tone needed with all they have available.
But still, having heard JSX being used live, and tried one out myself, its hard to believe it cant cross into metal territory.

Sure its no 5150, but from what i know one of the JSX's channel is based off the xxx's ultra channel, of which im sure you'll be able to get metal tones from it?
Quote by nick-trish
You can't always go by what the big dogs use as far as just finding the right sound out of a single unit for personnal use. They have rigs compiled of several different Eq's, effects processors, etc. The best money can buy. I'm sure that they are easily able to get Jsx set to the heavy tone needed with all they have available.

I take back my comment about the MT-2. I fooled with it again and got an alright sound out of it. It would be good for someone on a low budget setup maybe.
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
But still, having heard JSX being used live, and tried one out myself, its hard to believe it cant cross into metal territory.

Sure its no 5150, but from what i know one of the JSX's channel is based off the xxx's ultra channel, of which im sure you'll be able to get metal tones from it?

Yeah, it is an alright sound... Just not to my liking. I sure hate to give up all the other versatility it has. I'm too much of a metalhead though. It has the greatest clean, shred, and bluesy sound for the price. Great for everything else.
you can get metal tones from a JSX, you're either stupid or an idiot if you cant.

hell, the crunch channel can do metal.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Nah... Your an idiot because you don't understand what was mentioned about getting the right sound... Get your mother to read it for you.
I can get br00tal sounds from it. . . no pedals needed. . .

however, a simple OD in front of the crunch will get massive br00talz m3t@l tone from it.

if thats what you mean. . .

and its "you're"
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Thanks, but I'm going with a 6505. It suits me better for the sound I want. I changed the tubes out with JJ's, running a boss CE-5 chorus and ISP decimator with it and it is killer! I'll still miss the JSX though.
Dont forget the overdrive if you're gonna play a 5150. Helps A LOT.
Ok heres what you do. This is good advice.

1. The JSX has a great tone and voicing. Just needs a tab bit more gain and saturation.

2. You dont need an OD pedal, You need a clean boost. The boost will just give you more gain while preserving the original tone.

My 2 cents
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by tubadude
I can get br00tal sounds from it. . . no pedals needed. . .

however, a simple OD in front of the crunch will get massive br00talz m3t@l tone from it.

if thats what you mean. . .

and its "you're"

(I underlined all your mistakes.)

You shouldn't be ripping on anyone about pronunciation.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Why use a metal muff, when you have a good hi-gain amp at your disposal? Metal Muff isnt the answer to everything.
If you're looking for a specific recommendation that will actually HELP (ahem)

I would greatly recommend that you get an EHX English Muff'n, maybe, or one of those SD twintube pedals. Also look at Radial Engineering.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
(I underlined all your mistakes.)

You shouldn't be ripping on anyone about pronunciation.

You're familiar with the concept of sarcasm, no?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
You're familiar with the concept of sarcasm, no?

Nope, I don't have the ability to detect emotion in text...
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
I think the problem is EQing. Ive owned a xxx and 5150 and have played the JSX. I was always able to get a great metal tone from them. Hell, the JSX as plenty of gain IMO. Remember that a boost helps alot to bring out the chunk in PMs but watch your playing style too. Your pick attack, EQ, pickups etc, determine how metal you can get IMO.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
see, the thing you guys don't realize is that the JSX Mini Colossal amp (which is what he has, if he's going to trade it in and have to buy a used 6505, because the big JSX combo is like 1500 bucks) is not the same amp as the other two JSX amps. it's a Class A tube amp, and as such has more in common with the Crate V Series than it does with anything else Peavey makes.

i guess what i'm getting at is that you guys need to learn what you're talking about before you start offering advice.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
Are you sure he has a Mini Colossal though?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I have, (or had) the 212 JSX combo amp. That is the one I'm referring to. I sent it back and went with the 6505 combo. The first answer in this post nailed it. The JSX is simply not voiced to get the sound I want. I run a Keely mod MT-2 through it and it sounded like a can of bees. (Most people would say the same about the pedal in most cases) But then when I run it through the 6505 just out of curiosity. It sounded killer. Almost as good as the amps distortion, and with a lot more versatility. Could possibly be better than the amps distortion if I tweak it more. The better 6505 sound (brutal dist.) is probably due to the closed back design more than anything. It gives it more thump, and low end. But I've learned that it makes all the difference in the world which amp you use with a pedal!
Quote by nick-trish
well... good for you smarta$$... keep it to yourself... and go jerkoff!

i jerk off over reporting people

have a nice day

also, from what I've heard, you could get a pretty sweet 'br00tal' metal tone out of it with a good OD pedal before it
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by joining_heads
I think the problem is EQing. Ive owned a xxx and 5150 and have played the JSX. I was always able to get a great metal tone from them. Hell, the JSX as plenty of gain IMO. Remember that a boost helps alot to bring out the chunk in PMs but watch your playing style too. Your pick attack, EQ, pickups etc, determine how metal you can get IMO.

+1 eventhough the TS has already gotten the 6505.

I own the 5150 and play in a hardcore/death metal band and I'd much rather have the JSX, played one this weekend testing a few different ODs on it and was blown away by just the sound it gets by itself (I'd played one before I bought my 5150 and wasn't really too impressed), let alone how it sounds tightened up by the ODs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dude.. Your running an MT2 into a 5150? Trust me, later in life when your ear for tone develops you will recollect on these times and how foolish you acted when you ran an mt2 into a 5150. Bottom line, keeley mod or not, Mt2s suck. Learn to EQ your amp better and you will be much happier.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
^he's right. If you want to get a better sound than the lead channel on the 5150, run an overdrive in front, not a distortion.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
my i suggest a graphic equalizer to help dial in your tone?
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by mcw00t
i jerk off over reporting people

have a nice day

also, from what I've heard, you could get a pretty sweet 'br00tal' metal tone out of it with a good OD pedal before it

Yeah, you look the type. I always wondered what happened to the lolly pop band Hanson. Now I know!!!
Page 1 of 2